iiShawn

PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Hi, I have a L655D Toshiba Laptop, and I've been getting this 'No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key' Error ever since I tried to set my pc back to factory settings. I had opened up the option in the F8 menu to wipe my HDD, thinking that it would set my pc back to factory settings. I then realized that I had chosen the wrong thing, and hit cancel after about a minute. Ever since then I've been getting the error, and I do have my HDD set in the BIOS as boot 1 and LAN set to boot 6. I think I might have corrupted the Windows OS, and that's why it won't boot. Any help here?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

iiShawn wrote:...Hi, I have a L655D Toshiba Laptop, and I've been getting this 'No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key' Error ever since I tried to set my pc back to factory settings. I had opened up the option in the F8 menu to wipe my HDD...

Sounds like you may have indeed wiped your hard drive. But, let's hope not. First, did you ever make the set of Toshiba Recovery Media as recommended on pages 68-69 of your User's Guide?

If not, let's try and see if your Toshiba Recovery partition is still intact. You can follow the directions beginning on page 61 of your user's guide for recovering to your factory default out-of-the-box settings. But, simply, power off your unit press and hold down the '0' (zero) key, while powering on your unit, keep holding the '0' key down until you see the Toshiba Recovery utility menu appear.

Still no joy? You may want to think about ordering a set of Recovery Disks.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

customrogue

I have ben going through the same problem as the original post...with the same pc

I have also tried both options that the manual suggests (holding 0 at startup, and using the recovery DVD's), but I keep getting the same message - PXE-MOF: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

Not sure what to do at this point....any suggestions beside running it over with my car?!?!?!?!

aubreykianna

well I can tell you I did the exact same thing you did and you have to buy a set of recovery discs so that all the software will be able to go back onto your hard drive I simply went and bought another computer and don't even think about shipping your computer to toshiba they are not liable for any damage if it happens during the shipping process or if something were to go wrong...

tinternet

This happened to my toshiba today, it was running, started make 'dricket' chirping then went off.

On start up, I get the same message.

I believe that this is a trojan virus, as I was having some issues before it happenend.

My surprise is the lack of results being reported even on google.

Hold zero,,,, no

Hold F2 to bios and go to default setting.... no

Take out hard drive and re fit...... no

I have all my data on this laptop and jst as it becomes 12 months old,    this.

IS THERE AN ANSWER YET???????

WHAT IS A BOOTABLE DISK

IS THE BOOTABLE DISC A TOSHIBA DISC or A WINDOWS XP Home set up disc???????

WHERE IS A DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE

these are the things that need ansering. there are over 200 seperate mentions I have looked at today..... NO ANSWERS THAT WORK.

Occasional Contributor
pdatsyuk

Everyone in this thread that wants to recover their data off their hdd should burn a ubuntu live DVD and change the boot order to boot up from their DVD drive. Once in ubuntu you should be able to access the files on your hdd. Ubuntu is free and it saves a lot of trouble. 

mflores

i have atoshiba satalite and i am getting this message also i tried using a new hardrive with windows seven already installed and nothing the haard drive both start up on my other toshiba satalite no problem cant seem to find out how to fix this

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi! Everyone here needs to settle down and listen to miker. You all so need to start your own message. Some of you have other messages started and you are posting all over the forum. That is never a good idea. Start your own message and wait to be helped. Don't reply on someone else's message unless you are giving helpful advice to that author :smileymad:

Dokie!

Ps I'm not the policeman here , but this message is getting out of hand:smileywink:

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
PissedOwner

Complain about this particular thread all you like, it does not change the fact that Toshiba has an issue with the hard drive on this particular computer. In fact, it just goes to show that it is a failure of workmanship. I have had mine less than two, that's right two years and have had the hard drive fail three times. Not just once, or twice, but 3 times now. The first time, Toshiba customer service was great, quick repair, shipped back quickly. The second time was an absolute nightmare. I kept getting told to WAIT UNTIL THEY CALL ME BACK! Seriously... they NEVER called back. I had to keep calling, keep a journal of all contacts, and threaten to file a claim. Then I was on hold for over an hour, finally got "permission" for them to replace a defective replacement hard drive, one that was under warranty. Of course I had to pay shipping, replacement windows office suite pro, etc. Each replacement was over $400 cost to me. Of course that mattered little to them, I am only one consumer.

Awesome thing is, so many students I encounter at the college ask which computers to purchase for studying and I advise them, "not Toshiba," And when they return days later with a new laptop I am pleased to see that they select Apple, Lenovo, or any other brand than Toshiba. My paperweight, er laptop, is just sitting here next to me, dead, no help from Toshiba. Just a constant state of awareness that Toshiba will never, ever recieve my business again. And If I can influence other peoples purchases than I will. I tell my story, in school, at work, with friends, anywhere social media reaches, anywhere I can offer my experience, and if influences people, then so be it.

So if you are not the "policeman" here. you must be an employee of Toshiba. Hiding behind a veil of internet anonymity. You call it out of hand. I call my experience with trash electronics and the worst customer service experience, unnecessary frustration, and waste of money, waaaaaay out of hand! I'm glad you love your Toshiba, sounds like it suits you. But don't tell people that have limited resources, no answers, impending unreasonable expeditures, and likely work(you know, the source of what allows consumers to purchase junk items like these) to settle down. If Toshiba listened and responded to the feedback given to them for free, then do you really think that people posting here would be an issue?

Furthermore, these people are seeking solutions to a very real problem, not your opinion that this message is "getting out of hand," that is not helpful and you of course, have insisted that things be helpful.

Here's a helpful tip: Don't buy junk from companies that don't honor warranties or back their products and services!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi FYI

Reasons for Drive Failure

• Hard drives are mechanical devices with moving parts, so they are subject to expected wear and tear, and can potentially fail mechanically at any given time. But most manufacturers will label their product with an expected average lifespan (usually provided in total expected number of functioning hours). But if a part is faulty or there are some manufacturing defects, a drive's lifespan can be over in as little as a day. Other factors are primarily external in nature. Power surges can cause drive failure, as can fire or water damage, along with a number of computer viruses. Exposure to high levels of magnetism can disrupt the normal functions of a drive, along with sharp impacts. If dust gets into a drive, it can become the catalyst for an eventual failure.

Tips to Prevent Early Failure
    • While there is little that can be done about mechanical failure because of ordinary usage, the other causes of drive failure can be mitigated, if not entirely avoided. Use a high-quality surge protector for your computer. Avoid storing your computer where it would likely fall. Avoid exposing your computer to undue heat or allowing individuals to drink beverages near the computer. All it takes is one accidental spill to eviscerate years of data. Dust the computer regularly. Use canned air duster to spray out the interior to keep dust from creeping into the drive. And avoid storing your computer near any other electronic equipment that emits magnetic waves such as a subwoofer in a home theater system.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.