inbroker

P850-12Z Function Keys as Default (Fn Key)

Hello. I just got a Satellite P850-12Z. The F1-F12 keys are by default bound to special functions (screen brightness/audio player etc). Contrary to the usual case, I have to press the Fn key in order to use the F1-F12 keys. Is there any way to reverse this functionality so the F1-F12 keys are the default ones?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: P850-12Z Function Keys as Default (Fn Key)

[ Edited ]

SATELLITE P850-12Z Specifications

No, as this would entail disabling the Fn key - Flash Card setup, which critical to the smooth operation of a Toshiba notebook.

However, if you click 'Start' type in   flash  , click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and you put the check mark on 'Allow the mouse to bring up the cards', click 'Apply' and 'OK', then will just see the bottom of the flash cards at the top of the screen on your desktop. If you move your mouse pointer up there, then the flash cards will drop down and you can use your mouse to make the adjustments. As well, in the 'settings' if you also put the check mark on 'Keep the cards on top of other windows' then this flash card mouse function will work in any program, and not just on your desktop.

Mike

inbroker

Hi again. Thanks for your reply although it kind of confused me more. Maybe I have not expressed clearly my problem.

However, after reading the Help File of the 'Setting for Flash Cards' application I found the following.

Flash cards support two kinds of function keys mode: Standard F1-F12 mode (*1) and Special function mode(*2).

Function keys mode can be switched in BIOS:[Advanced]/[Function keys mode] or HWSetup:[Keyboard]/[Function keys mode].

Notes:

(*1)Press the function key by itself to use standard F1-F12 functions. Hold the [Fn] key first to use special functions.

(*2)Press the function key by itself to use special functions. Hold the [Fn] key first to use standard F1-F12 functions. 

Therefore, I modified this setting from the BIOS and now the F1-F12 functions are the default while the special ones need the Fn button to be pressed as well.

Thank you.

Super Advisor
miker643

Well, sounds like you more or less got what you wanted. However, that this was even possible is news to me. I will have to see what I can find to read up on that. But, I certainly don't have those options on my computer.

Mike

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Mike, you're not alone! I never heard of such a possibility either.  I have read the Flash Card Settings help file on my 3 Satellites and no such option exists in either of them. Strange!!!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Alex16Mai

Hi people, I have a Toshiba L850-13P and similar to inbroker, I have my function keys set by default to standard F1-F12 keys and I wish to set the default to special function (brightness, audio etc.). While I see those options listed in BIOS and HWsetup, changing them (and rebooting) does not make any difference and I am stuck with the standard function keys :smileysad:...

Any tips in this case?

Super Advisor
miker643

Can't help you, I don't have these functions. Try to follow inbroker's steps, or send him a private message.

Mike

Lucasxiii

I have another laptop which is Dell, and has the same issue. Though I think this applies to all notebooks.

I can't recall that much, but there is a setting that you need to do once you are inside the BIOS setting which allows you to use the functions keys as F1-F12 or their alternate media usage as default.

Once I check it on a Toshiba notebook, I'll give you the instructions right away. :smileyhappy:

Alex16Mai

@ miker643 and Lucasxiii:  I already tried what worked for inbroker, way before posting here. It's just not working...:smileysad:

Alex16Mai

Update: today I've done a BIOS update from version 1.30 to 1.60 with no avail... No matter how I switch settings in toshiba hardware setup utility or the BIOS itself, the special function keys (volume, playback, brightness etc.) will only work with the Fn pressed...

Lucasxiii

You already tried to change the settings in HWSetup? Changing the Function Keys Mode to Standard F1-F12 Mode?

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD2503B90001R01.htm

AdamB

Hello

I'd like to make the same change as inbroker mentioned about as the ridiculous way that you have to push the Fn key along with the specific function key is really annoying! However I've no ide what the acronym 'BIOS' means or where I have this programme....I have a Satelitte L850 - please could someone let me know how I change this so that I can just push, for example, F5 to refresh an internet page?

Thanks

Adam

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi Like the other advisors; I do not have the options that inbroker is showing. You get to the BIOS by pressing F2 after restarting your PC. You will see the option at the bottom of your screen before windows loads. If you have never heard of BIOS, maybe you shouldn't go there. You can Google "What is the BIOS" if you want to know what it does.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
BryanCastle2

When i bought my laptop, the special function keys worked without hitting the fn key.  but now it has reversed and i don't know how to switch it back.