timwillin

P755 laptop shuts down and starts up randomly

[ Edited ]

Began seeing this behavior about two months after purchase and a month after putting into service.  Do not believe this is a Windows/software issue since after it shuts down the first time, it will shut down again before Windows even starts to load.  No stop error codes (BSOD) in the event logs and no memory dump files get created.  Only entry in the event log is unexpected shutdown.  Also randomly turns on after it shuts down.  Doesn't matter whether or not the battery is installed.  Opened a case with Toshiba support, but all they wanted me to do was reset image to factory default.  They didn't even listen to me explain that it does it regardless of whether or not Windows is running.

P/N PSAY1U-03W027

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 2/16/2012 2:35:40 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: lisa-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-16T20:35:40.532415900Z" />
<EventRecordID>35560</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>lisa-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">true</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">129738980329540314</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

The fact that all the bugcheck parameters are 0 indicates a hardware or driver issue.  Drivers are all at the latest revsion as well as the BIOS.

Dwayne Willingham
Satellite P755-S5390 (PSAY1U-03W027)
Occasional Builder
LaptopDan757

Re: P755 laptop shuts down and starts up randomly

Another user recently reported a BSOD, but other than that the symptoms appear similar. I would think that you are having a driver conflict....one of the drivers are not fully windows 7 compatible.  Try disabling the drivers either one at a time...or ALL of them...and re-enabling them one at a time to isolate which one is causing the problem.

"My comments are my own reality" Consider these in addition to other sources. I only know what I know.
Dan
timwillin

Well, Toshiba support is looking more like a scam than actual support.  Called them and convinced them I had a hardware issue and sent it in to the Repair Depot.  Upon recieving the laptop, got this email:

Hi Dwayne Willingham   

During the Diagnostic procedure our technicians found that your unit’s SOFTWARE is corrupted. Unfortunately Toshiba does not cover the cost for replacement or fixes of software and as such we will have to charge you for labor cost $25. Please inform me on how to proceed, if you choose to go ahead authorize the repairs we will need your billing information (Credit Card Number, Expiration date and cardholder name).

To provide your billing information please call me at the number below, or let me know when would be a good time to reach you. 

Please respond to the following email Gabriel Belmonte [csr1@bizcom-us.comor call the number below ( Gabriel Belmonte) with in 3 business days otherwise we have to ship back unrepaired.

*** California Customer will incur California sales tax on parts charge

Technical Support

408-262-1732

Really?  The last thing I did was reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults and restore the factory system image!  The "software" is not corrupt.

I can see this is going to be a long, painful and unproductive experience.  Who do I talk to about getting a refund?

Dwayne Willingham
timwillin

[ Edited ]

Got the laptop back from the Repair Depot, let it charge for a couple of hours, turned it on and about 3 minutes later: shut down! They replaced the memory and reloaded the OS. Trying to decide whether to even bother sending it back.

Watch the video: http://youtu.be/FLr0Pl-DBgM

Dwayne Willingham
jomijen

I am having the same problem. The computer will reboot automatically, and it is difficult to get it to boot up again.  This is not a software problem.  I had it happen when I was in the BIOS screen just to test it.  The computer started and the Toshiba splash screen was displayed.  I pressed F2 to go to the BIOS screen.  While it was in the BIOS setup, I wiggled the power cord at the computer and it shut off.  It's either the cord or the power connection inside of the computer.  Bad design.  Now I have to figure out how to get it fixed or replaced..

donnaten2

Hello Dwayne...wondering if you ever got any kind of formidable help from Toshiba?  I am having the same trouble as you.

Here's what I just had to post:

Received this computer Mar.17th, 2012 and that same day, laptop just shut down. Thought at first it was a fluke, maybe I hit/did something. I tried to restart, it seem to start normal then-nope-shut down.  All lights were off, I hit enter button and it restarted???  Finally, after 5 tries, got it into safe mode, all was ok, restarted it and it was fine.

Didn't happen again for few days.  Didn't matter if I was on it for hours or not.  I called tech support. That guy got control of my computer and put the power options till "always on".  (btw,I could have done that-all you had to do was ask).  Wasn't on the computer for couple of days, then used it 3 days and again, same trouble.

I ran tests, looked for trouble with drivers/software.  Trouble is, I didn't install anything that would have done that and definitely did NOT need any kind of driver installation.

So, back to tech support.  and like so many out there, tech reads on from page 2, FORMAT.  One guy wanted me to do a system restore.  I asked, restore it back to the day I got it?  Yes he said.  HELLO.  IT DID THIS THE DAY I GOT IT.

So, now were on to sending the laptop out-I think it has something to do with the hard drive itself or what it connects into, since right before it shuts down, I hear a click then it goes off.  

I didn't buy a new computer only to have it sent away for 2+ weeks.  I asked for someone local, an authorized dealer, oh, yes  Paul the case manager told me I could do that but it will cost me!!!

So, we are now preparing to return said laptop, and go back to Dell, like I always have done. Shame on me for thinking Toshiba was for customer service/satisfaction.

What Toshiba doesn't know is that I help my job and family members/friend with their decisions in computer buying and software.  Dell has NEVER failed me!  This w/b the first of my many "public service messages"

Good luck to all you Toshiba buyers.

Donna Hays

timwillin

Yes my issue was resolved. They replaced the power button strip above the keyboard which has eliminated the random shutdowns. Funny thing is that they had it less than 24 hours and seems like the "failure analysis engineer" immediately knew what the problem was. I feel sorry for the uneducated who fork over money for unneeded repairs.
Dwayne Willingham
donnaten2

Thanks Dwayne.  I don't think I'm going to bother tho. What a shame, the so called "tech" support is such a waste of time! I know all the stupid things they want you to try and because I can probably bet, that the majority of them have NO computer knowledge at all-they type a few "key" words into their database instead of KNOWING. ugh. disgusted. I'm not kidding when I said that Dell has never failed me!  We put a computer for our local firehouse and when I couldn't connect to the internet, I had tested to see if it was the card, it was, they had a local computer tech come out and replace! I don't need to be heading down to my post office, wait, wait, wait, ship back. Forget it! I AM THE CUSTOMER-PLEASE ME!

Lesson learned.  I am glad it worked out for you.  I hope it lasts!

Donna

slowmusic

Hey! I am having the EXACT same problem. What exactly did they replace? The word strip there is confusing me. You mean just the power button right?

timwillin

It's the whole row of buttons which includes the power button.

Dwayne Willingham
slowmusic

Thanks! Let's see if that sorts out the issue. Even I am pretty certain it's a hardware fault.

LucidDemonSpit

Re: IPPP laptop shuts down and starts up randomly

I had this problem and sent it in for repair.  They replaced my logic board, mother board, and HD although the HD was a seperate issue.  Now I'm sending it back in because I have artifacts on my screen.  However it no longer shuts down and boots up randomly like before.

jroland925

Hi Dwayne,

I started having the same problem about two weeks ago.  It just randomly shuts down.  I bought my Toshiba at Costo, so I may call their concierge service first to see what they suggest.  I'll tell them that it seems to be a problem other users have had.  Do you think it's worth the effort to call Toshiba and ask for a warranty repair.  I bought this laptop within the last year.  Bought my wife a Dell at Costco about 3 months ago with no problems.  I may have to ask for a refund and then get a Dell instead.  My other Toshiba laptop lasted for years without any problems.

Johnny

timwillin

Stop it on the BIOS screen and see if it shuts down from there. Video it if possible and upload it somewhere. Then call Toshiba to open a support case and send them a link to the video.
Dwayne Willingham
LaurentL

I have same issue on my toshiba p755-s5269 like you said  this problem is caused by the membrane power switch button (very poor quality). it's a common defaut on toshiba satellite. i will never buy a toshiba again.

devo33

Hey guys - I am posting here because my issue seems similar. P755-5269

My issue is happening when my battery is about to go dead (or does go completely dead) and then I plug in the AC power; then the system heats up the battery to super, super hot and it will keep on randomly hard powering off over and over no matter how many times you try rebooting. The only way I have found to keep the system on is to remove the battery while the system is on and powered by AC and then reboot it, then once the battery cools off, place the battery back into the system; then it seems to finally power up the battery without over heating and hard powering down.

As you can read; this process is a serious pain in the arse if you are a laptop user on the go. I tryed bios update, chipset update, virus / malware scan, switching out to a  different battery and nothing seems to work. The system seems to do fine if I never let the battery get too low or never run the battery all the way down; but if and when I do, it is a nightmare cycle of tricking it into not overheating the battery and subsequently hard powering the machine. 

I hope one of you guys may have a suggestion for something that I may have missed and shy of trying a full factory recovery or pooring water on it (which I am frankly not far from doing).  

Thanks,

Devon

sofyan

the power button strip cord? really? that could explain something.. me from indonesia after 1 year purchase have some trouble. thanx for the info