imablondok

Optical drive help please

I have a Satellite E205.  Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to keep the optical drive turned on?  It turns itself off when I run the computer on battery and the only way to turn it back on is to wait for the computer to ask me if I want to turn the optical drive back on, and that is completely random.  Geek Squad and Toshiba tech support have been unable to help me.  I'd sure appreciate it if someone could help me out here.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Optical drive help please

Which Satellite E205? Which Windows?

..wait for the computer to ask me if I want to turn the optical drive back on

What is the precise message? Put it on a line by itself. No paraphrasing.

Geek Squad and Toshiba tech support have been unable to help me.

What have you tried so far?

Have you restored the hard disk to its original factory-new contents using Toshiba recovery media?

-Jerry
DogPatch

[ Edited ]

I am also having a similar issue. If I put my computer on sleep, or just simply close the lid my optical drive power is off. I have an icon in the systray, if I mouse over it, the popup says "Optical Drive Power: OFF". Left clicking on the icon does nothing and if I right click I get two options..."Optical Drive auto lock" with a sub option of "Disable". The other option is "Unlock time settings" with sub options 1s, 3s or 5s. There is no option to turn the optical drive power back on. I have set my power settings for both battery and plugged in to keep everything on at all times, but my optical drive power still shuts off. Putting a CD in does nothing, the only way I have found to be able to turn it back on is to reboot the system. Is there another way or a way to keep it on all the time without having to manually shut down the process? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q865 Running Windows 7 Home Premium

Lawrence

I'm also having this problem with my Satellite A665-S6051 where my disc drive will not turn on. There are no options to turn it on on the ODD icon and there is no longer a FN fuction to turn it on or off. I checked the power options and I have it set to where it stays on plugged in and on battery but it still never comes on. Rebooting doesn't help turn it on either. Anyone got some tips?

Regular Contributor
Altair

I have my machine at work.  Can not confirm this but there was an option from the FN keys.  Have any of you tried FN/Tab.

I saw on another computer an option in the task bar.  That utility had the option to turn it on or off.  I will check my machine when I get in the office.  Again I am guessing here.  

Lawrence

There used to be a FN function but now there is not one available so FN + TAB doesn't do anything. :smileysad:

Lawrence

Ok check it. I figured out my problem lurking other tech forums. It may not work for everybody but it worked wonders for me.

Start the Run Command Prompt 
Type in "regedit" without the parenthesis then click ok 
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE 
Then SYSTEM 
Then CURRENT CONTROL SET 
Then CONTROL 
Then CLASS 
Then find {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} 
The whole thing looks like this: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} 

Then delete the upper and lower filters.... 

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER THEN THERE YA GO! 

Now I only had a "lower filter" reg entry so both or just one may show up. Just delete the ones that are there and give it a reboot.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having this problem

Regular Contributor
Altair

Nice work. 

Thanks for the follow up.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Regular Contributor
Altair

I just Loked at my A660 here and there is an option to enable or disable the Optical drive.  Just press and hold the FN/Tab key.  Here are your options. 

1)  Powers on. 

2)  Ejects the drive. 

3)  Powers off.  Drive will disappear from My computer. 

mary-b

Lawrence, thank you so much, this worked.  You are a lifesaver

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

For viewers: Microsoft has a Fix it button. See KB314060.

-Jerry
w0tm

Re: Optical drive help please - thanks!!!!

you are my new hero!

press and hold FN and TAB then select from three options that appear that are so weak they are hard to even see then enter then reboot.   People bring ME computers from as far away as Texas (600 miles) for (free) fixes and I couldn't figure this out.  I'm remembering you!  Thanks much!   FAR better than any of the idiot answers Toshiba gave on this forum, by phone or anywhere else. They don't know their own products!  They should hire you for big bucks and lay off dozens of place holders they have called "tech support"!