supervalkyrie

Net Book Not Responding

[ Edited ]

I have a Net Book NB 255-N250. I've had it for a little more than a year now and it has always preformed well. But in the last few months whenever I start a program, Internet explorer for example, The window will pop up and it will say Not Responding at the top. After say fifteen to thirty seconds the program will load and run normally. I defragment my computer about once a month and I have Trend Micro running on my computer which tells me there are no viruses. So what is going on here? Do I need to upgrade my memory or is there something else going on with my computer? My memory is 1G right now, looks like I could upgrade to 2G.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Net Book Not Responding

mini notebook NB255-N250

..whenever I start a program, Internet explorer for example, The window will pop up and it will say Not Responding at the top.

Let's make some experiments.

What happens after you boot into Safe Mode?

Start your computer in safe mode

Also, what happens after you boot normally into another account. If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
supervalkyrie

Yep it does the same thing in both my wifes and my account. But I started up in safe mode like you said. And all though I could not get it to connect to the internet from there, Internet explorer and other programs started right up with no problem. Like I had a brand new computer again. So, how do I figure out what is slowing my computer down so much? And kill it! :smileywink:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I started up in safe mode .. programs started right up with no problem.

Next experiment is to start with a clean boot. What happens then?

1. Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe).

2. On the General tab, click Selective startup and clear the Load startup items check box.

3. On the Services tab, click the Hide all Microsoft services check box and click Disable all.

4. OK out and restart the computer.

-Jerry
supervalkyrie

This setup seemed to work as well. Although my computer seems to be cooperating with me this morning so it’s hard to tell if it was the different setup or not. I will try it again later to day once the computer has had some work. I’m sure the Not Responding will come up again, it has for a few months now. Or maybe the safe start fixed it somehow…

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You don't want to stay in that clean-boot state. Many things won't work right.

Best to discover a situation or sequence that makes the trouble occur on demand. Then use clean-boot troubleshooting to identify the culprit.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If/when you do find the troublemaker, please let us know who he is.

-Jerry
supervalkyrie

[ Edited ]

This is ridiculous, my computer will not do the Not Responding thing now. Its like taking your car to the mechanic because it's been making a funny noise and then it wont do it for them. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy my computer seems to be working now, somehow. But I would have liked to know what was wrong with it. If/when the situation occurs again I will attempt the clean-boot troubleshooting like you suggest. And will definitely let you know what is causing the issue. Thank You for your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Count your blessings...

-Jerry
supervalkyrie

[ Edited ]

Ok, Computer finally started acting up again last night. I did the troubleshooting and as far as I can tell its Trend Micro that is causing the issue. The service is called Trend Micro Solution Platform. It  must have been an update they did that caused the problem because when it was first installed it didn’t affect my computer like that. But just to be sure Trend Micro is actually the problem here I’m going to run the computer for a week with it disabled to see if the Not Responding thing comes up again.
But now I have a new issue. I must have messed this up while I was messing around in the settings- When you hold the Function Key and press F4 for example, a thing is supposed to pop up on the screen and let you put the computer into hibernation mode. Nothing pops up anymore. Some of the functions still work (Mute, Sleep, Brightness adjustment, F10 and F11 whatever they are for) but that pop up wont come on the screen. The rest won’t work at all. How do I fix this? I use F2, F4, and F8 all the time and now they won’t do anything.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Fn operations are often fixed by reinstalling the TVAP.

Toshiba Value Added Package

-Jerry
supervalkyrie

Well, installed the TVAP but it did not fix the function key issue. And I have been running my computer with Trend Micro disabled- The Not Responding was come up twice. It is definitely not as frequent as it had been happening but I think it’s safe to say it wasn’t Trend Micro causing the issue. By itself anyway. I don’t know what other program it would be though. Trend Micro was the only one the Not Responding came up on when I did the trouble shooting. Maybe try running the computer for a day or two with each program turned off one at a time?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't have an bright ideas. Try to find a situation or sequence that makes the situation occur on demand.

-Jerry