Occasional Contributor
linda43
Accepted Solution

My computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drive

I am trying to install software for the camera I gave my husband for Christmas. On Friday I did install the software for the camera he gave me. I'm the only user of this computer and have done nothing unusual or different on it but for some reason it doesn't recognize that drive and I don't know how to overcome the problem. I've rebooted several times but that hasn't helped.

Can someone tell me what I can do to fix this problem. Please keep it as simple as possible as I don't understand computer terminology at all.

I'm desperate and don't want to have to take it anywhere to have it fixed.

Thanks. Linda43

Occasional Advisor
IanBryson90

Re: My computer doesn't recognize my CD/DVD drive

Try Rebooting the computer and seeing if it will read the disk again, if that doesnt work, check to make sure there is no physical damage near the CD tray, if the cd is just not auto starting, make sure the CD is clean with no big scratches, and go into My Computer, and see if the CD is showing up in there, if its not, then you may have a hardware or wiring problem, that should be covered by warranty if your laptop is still in warranty. If the above steps dont help, there isnt much more you can really do.
X205-SLI5
2.40GHZ
Dual nVidia 8600M GT's Overclocked
4 GB of Ram
Triple Boot XP, Vista, Windows 7
Occasional Contributor
linda43

My laptop is on  my dining room table with nothing near it so there is not damage to the drive. I've rebooted several times but that doesn't help. Friday when I installed the software for me camera I did have a problem with the CD/DVD drive at that time. It sounded like the disc was spinning and spinning but it didn't open. I tried opening it by going to 'my computer' then to that drive but it still wouldn't open. At least then my drive did show up. After rebooting it did open and I was able to install the camera software. Now today that isn't helping.

I don't understand how these things happen. I don't abuse my laptop and no one else uses it so I don't have a clue as to what could have gone wrong. I did spend a few hundred dollars on a 3 yr extended warranty through Circuit City but they're not the most pleasant people to deal with. I guess I have no choice and should be happy I was able to buy the warranty.

Thanks for your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You can probably fix it this way, Linda. 

CD / DVD drive missing from 'My Computer' (Windows Explorer)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
linda43

Thanks Jerry: I'll save that link. I did have Circuit City fix it. I figured I'd spent enough time on it getting nowhere and I did spend almost $300 for the extended warranty so why not just use it.

I appreciate your time and effort to help me with this problem but it's now working again and I was able to install the software for my husband Canon Rebel camera.

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Linda

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to hear all is well now, Linda. Thanks for getting back to us with the outcome.
-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
linda43

You'r welcome Jerry. I use to get help here a lot when I first bought my laptop but I couldn't remember my information to sign in so I had to re-register.

I appreciate you guys being here to help those of us who don't understand these things like you do. Please, have a great day and a wonderful, happy and prosperous New Year to all of your there who help.

Linda

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I use to get help here a lot when I first bought my laptop but I couldn't remember my information to sign in so I had to re-register.

This forum is new, Linda.

Could be you visited CompuServe's Laptop Computing Forum in those days.

Your sign-in cookie would be remembered over there.

-Jerry