cortysmom93

My Toshiba will get really hot on the bottom and then power itself off

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  When I am on it, the underside will get really hot, and it will shut itself off. If I unplug the power cord from the laptop and then plug it back in, it will power up again.  Can someone tell me what is going on, and if I need to send it in to be repaired??  It isn't under warranty anymore so it is going to cost me, but I don't want my laptop to catch on fire either as that is how hot it gets sometimes.  I just let it cool down before plugging it back in and playing on it again.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: My Toshiba will get really hot on the bottom and then power itself off

When you ask a question on the Forum, please include the model number too. There maybe a Support Bulletin or Download for your problem, and no one will know because we don't have the information.

Check the vents on the side and bottom of the computer. Make sure they're not blocked or clogged with dust, dirt, or pet fur. Use the computer on a hard flat surface. Running your computer in bed or on your lap is not recommended. Not only does the bottom get hot as you know, it also blocks the vents from sucking in the cool air it needs to keep the computer cool too.  

If the computer is clogged with stuff in the vents, you will need to arrange to have a professional open up the computer and clear out the vents, the cooling module and maybe put new silicon grease on the CPU.

Occasional Contributor
martyismad

by the sound of it your fan vents are blocked, get someone with a little knowledge of computers to clean the vents from all the dust that gathers up in the vents, it is probably a simple fix with a hoover that happens to most people with a laptop, by the way the vent on your laptop should always be free from blockage so make sure you don't cover it with anything. for example if you have it lay on your bed make sure you duvet doesn't cover up the vents. i hope this has helped you out :smileyhappy:

cortysmom93

Sorry I didn't include my model number :smileysad:  I have a Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7015.  I use a lap desk while I am sitting in my recliner.  I hear my fan kick in, so I know that it is working, but it gets so hot.  Should I always have the power cord plugged in, or use the battery and when it beeps telling me it is time to plug it in then put it back on the adapter?  Thank you for all the help I am getting, I appreciate it very much!!!

Super Advisor
brad

A second call for heat sink cleaning.

Even though the fan spins, it still has to push air, and if the little passages between the fins of the heat sink are clogged with dust as they will get with use, then the air doesn't flow as designed, and the machine overheats.

Velda

I have a L305-S5875 here too that is shutting down.  I have taken it apart and blown out all the air and even cleaned the Heat Sink with Thermal Surface Cleaner & Purifier and reapplied a thermal compound between the processor and the heat sink.  THe machine still shuts down.  It stayed on a bit longer one time and I thought it was okay but then shuts down.  Does it with battery in or out.  My question is, can I replace the heat sink?  The fan runs but the bottom of the laptop does get hot.I'm not sure what else to do.

Velda

stayed on longer in Safe Mode so maybe i am having a software issue ??  still shut down though :smileysad:

silkyfly

the problem is your CPU is getting too hot and as a "safety" from burning out, the computer shuts itself off. this is a result from your laptop being placed in your lap, blocking the ventilation system. CPUs get extremely hot, so the fan (placed directly over the CPU) "sucks" the heat from it and blows it out to keep it cool. but if the hot air has nowhere to go, it gets hotter and hotter, which shuts your computer off. just let your computer "breathe" and it should b fine.

MaxCurio

"Staying on longer in safe mode"

...this basically confirms that it is shutting down from overheat.

When running in safe mode, only the most basic required drivers and programs are running to make the computer work. So the computer is not working hard and therefore takes longer to heat up.

Having said that, it is possible that software can make a computer overheat, for example, some third party "performance boost" type programs, or if you are running graphically intensive games.

Usually, these types of programs are not running in safe mode, so the cause is probably cooling blockage.

Are ALL the air vents clean and clear?

Are you using the original battery and AC adapter?

Are the little rubber feet still on the bottom of your computer? (if the rubber feet come off, the computer sits flatter on the surface, restricting air flow)

Velda

Are ALL the air vents clean and clear?  YES -  I reapplied the Thermal Compound on processor after blowing out all vents and fans.

Are you using the original battery and AC adapter?  YES

Are the little rubber feet still on the bottom of your computer? (if the rubber feet come off, the computer sits flatter on the surface, restricting air flow) YES - older gentleman owns it so he is very careful with it.

I went into the task manager and shut down everything that I felt was unnecessary and started windows update and the laptop stayed on performing updates all night long!  I left it on the entire next day, plugged in and deemed it fixed.  The laptop started shutting off after the owner got a new Epson printer but I didn't think that would have anything to do with it but after I uninstalled the Epson network files, the machine stayed on.  Maybe the thermal compound replacement did it or maybe it was the Epson files...  weird but fixed!!  Thanks for your help!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

"weird but fixed!!"

Velda, weird is a synonym for computers!!!  :smileylol:

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Kelly80

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop L305-D S5900.  I bought it in 2009.  It has always run extremely hot where you cannot touch the bottom.  I've elevated it on blocks, set it on a plate from the freezer, bought a laptop stand that allows air circulation.  I'VE DONE EVERYTHING!!!!!   EVERYTHING!!!!   Oh!  And I can't have more than four windows open, or it will shut down SUDDENLY without warning.   I have to close docutments I'm working on, while I look up various things on the internet. Ha-ha-ha!!  That's hilarious--suggesting it's the fan clogged.  I don't mean to be unkind, but it would be wonderful if that's all it was.  The little fan is working it's tail off.  And it looks like you've got a later model, and they still haven't corrected this overheating problem.  Amazing.  

Kelly80

Also, I forgot to add that the vents are not clogged.  Air, hot enough to cook an egg, is coming out of the vents.  It's not the vents or the fans.  IT'S THE COMPUTER.  IT'S TOSHIBA!!!!!  Sorry for shouting.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

[ Edited ]

If your computer was purchased in 2009, then it probably needs to be cleaned, and fresh thermal paste applied to the processor.  My wife's tricked out L305 runs nice and cool, and I bought it for her about 5 years ago.  The L305, L305D, and L355's all have a spot between the fan shroud and the heatsink where dusk collects.  You CANNOT see it from outside the laptop, you can only see it by physically removing the fan.  Most of the L355's I have purchased used have had partially or fully clogged heatsink.  Once cleaned and fresh thermal paste applied, they run nice and cool, with no issues.

wross2008

I have the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5865 Laptop.  I've tried everything, including raising the entire laytop on stilts (empty spools clued to the under carriage) and it still does the same thing---gets hot and shuts down without warning.  Now, the only way I can keep it cool so it won't shut down is to actually have a small portable electric fan mounted beside it blowing air under the laptop so keep it cool.  And yes, all the fan and filters are clean and working properly.  Beginning to think it's just the laptop itself.  

kax427sc

My would do the exact same thing. Mine however is a L775-s7352. I was running 32 bit windows 7 and upgraded to 64 bit windows. Also went from the original 4 gigs of RAM to 8. Problem vanished immediately. As I understand it, the 32 bit system was working way to hard to perform the tasks I wanted (Gaming,Movies, etc..) Now the system never overheats, even under benchmark programs. I'd try to update you software if you still are therming out after cleaning your vents and apply thermal coolant.

lonltittle

I have a perfect photo of a Toshiba laptop heat exchanger that appears perfectly clear of obstruction on the outside but is completely blocked solid from five years of very careful use. That little fan packs the dusty particles well!
mikeblakeney

I have a Toshiba Satellite that was getting almost to hot to touch. I tried all the suggestions about cleaning

the vents and fan etc.  I thought maybe the battery was getting hot, so I cycled it several times.

That is I pulled the AC power and ran the battery all the way down.

Then charged it up and ran it down again about 3 or 4 times.

That solved the problem for me. It is now back to the way it was when I bought it.

Not getting hot at all.  You milage may vary but this fixed mine.

Just for what it's worth, something to try.

MB

block29

I bought an L305D-S5974 laptop for my mom a couple of years ago and it also got really hot.   It got so hot that the computer burned her legs (she's old and didn't feel it right away).   She would cover her legs from there on out, but the laptop was still hot.   It quit working and wasn't very old.   I had to replace the hard drive and they had to fix the fan.  The computer repair place said that the fan had shorted out.  I have the laptop and it is still hot.  The computer place had cleaned the computer during these repairs.   And the laptop is being used in a level position.   Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Regular Advisor
kenna

[ Edited ]

Laptops are notorious for overheating. Yes to keep it running at a reasonable level of warmth, you must keep the vents and the fans free from dust (bunnies) and other obstructions.

It is recommended that you not place them on your laps(hence laptop) or anywhere ventilation is poor and warm causing the laptop to overheat and shutdown.

Laptops are also made with a failsafe built in, when they hit a certain temperature they will automatically shutdown.

There are other reasons for the laptop to immediately shutdown, if a fan fails to run or runs then stops.

Another is if the power supply is going bad, and is not charging.

However, if none of those fit your issue, then heat is the simply answer, then what you need is a cooling pad for a laptop.

It is a smart purchase if you are a heavy user.. There also Cooling Pads for Gamers also.

This is small investment for the overall health and performance of your system.

One of these should eliminate your heat issue, if the other issues mentioned are not the cause.

Gear Head CF3600U Tri-Cool Cooling Pad:  for $20.00 at Wal-Mart.

USB powered

Lightweight, portable design

Triple-fan technology

3600btu.jpg

Or you can get the GearHead Notebook Cooling Fan, CF3000U for $9.50 at Wal-Mart

3000btu.jpg

"Knowledge should be unrestricted and the most important commodity we can offer to help one another."