DeShaunF

My Laptop will NOT turn on!!! please help!

My Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5892 will not turn on. It has been this way for almost a month. I had left my computer on while going to the bathroom and when i came back it was turned off. I tried turning it on but it wouldn't. The battery light and the charger light were both green, and the power light is very dimly green. My sister has the same exact laptop as i do, so i tried exchanging the chargers, but it didn't help. I tried exchanging the batteries, which didn't help. I tried letting both batteries sit out for a while then put it back in, but it still wouldn't turn on. I have tried holding down the power button to turn it on, but no matter how hard or how long i hold it down it won't turn on. My dad thought it may be the battery connection but i have no idea, and it is currently just out of the 1 year warranty as it was bought black friday of last year. PLEASE HELP!! PLEASE!....thank you

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: My Laptop will NOT turn on!!! please help!

Unplug the AC adaptor, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button down for a minimum of 30 seconds.  Now replace the battery and see if it powers up.  If not repreat the process but this time leave the battery out and only plug in the AC.  If it still doesn't power on repeat the process again and this time replace the battery and plug the AC back in.  If it still doesn't power up it's time to start checking the hardware.  Remove the ram and try it with only one stick.  You might need to try each one individually to see if either works.  If that doesn't help remove the hard drive and see if it will post to the Toshiba screen.  If that doesn't help you'll probably need to take it to a service center.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

DeShaunF

I tried everything you said, and it still won't turn on. Another theory could be that, a few months ago my laptop dropped on its side and the cord was plugged in, so it may have destroyed the AC input. If this is so, what do i do for it? please and thank you.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/repair-damaged-power-jack-toshiba-satellite-l305-l355-laptops/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

DeShaunF

Thank you very much for the link, but another thing is that i still get the green light for the power cable ,but could i still have the problem with the light showing green.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I really don't know enough about how the lights react to various situations.

DeShaunF

ok, well, thank you for all of your help :smileyhappy:

cmartin

Re: My Laptop will NOT turn on!!! Please help!

I have had the same problem with myM505-S4940 laptop.  Very frustrating since it happened when it was still under warranty and they told me take the out, put it back in, and turn it on.  It worked,   I have had to do it several times since then...my computer is 13mo. old.  They say if I want to send it in and have them diagnose it, I would be without a computer for at least 2 wks.  Not acceptable at all.  Even though the problem occured while it was under warrenty and I called tech support 1 mo. after the warrent expired for the same thing, they wanted to charge me the 35.00 to talk to anyone about it. 

Kay8D

I NEED MORE HELP !!!!

I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM . Well actually, I have a Toshiba Satellite L450D -00X and this is my problem.

It all started when me and my mom were really tired at night so I played some music on the Google chrome. Then me and my mom fell asleep for the whole night, we slept at like 11 PM and woke up at 6 AM. When I woke up I realized, my laptop was off and I did not plug my laptop in when we were sleeping so it had no charge I guess. Then what I did was I brought it upstairs and plugged it in 'cause usually when I plug it in it makes a BIG FAN NOISE then turns on to that small icon and when you click it it brings you to the desktop. SO ya, that happened and I left it to charge and slept again until 10 AM and then I went to have a look it STILL did not work so I left it in charge for a while and went over to my cousin's house and had fun. When I came back now it still didn't work so I AM REALLY SCARED. I got so many important files on it and right now Im on my basement's laggy computer. SO PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P !!:'( :'(

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: I NEED MORE HELP !!!!

Read post number 2 of this thread and follow those instructions to see if that helps.  If not, you'll probably need to have it serviced to get it going again. 

obm4

THANKS cee_64,That worked great.Saved me a service call.Thanks again

ralven5

I've had several problems myself before warranty expired and after. My problem is that I cannot turn computer on with AC adoptor pluged in laptop. All light for battery and plug turns on, the battery picks up charge although its not holding much. So I turn laptop on with battery and have to wait for windows to come on before I can plug the AC adaptor on otherwise if I plug it in earlier, the laptop freezes on me. Thats another issue Im having with laptop freezing at certain times and it has nothing to do with windows as records will show I had to replace harddrive not once but several times two of times while on warranty. While on warranty I also had AC adoptor issues. As someone had mention the down time for service, it is not fair that with so many issues one is not compensated and instead told we have to wait this long if we want the system serviced. If this was a one person issue ok, but I've heard and read on many people having this issues. I  guess is how they keep the money rolling in.

CPO109

I had a similar problem with my laptop (L355-S7834).  Try connecting an external monitor to the computer to see if it is the screen that doesn't work.  Mine has a short in it that goes to the external monitor.... the local technician said it was a bad design, and the constant lifting of the lid shorted it out..... It was intermittent at times.  

I had him disconnect the external monitor plug (after I had plugged in an external monitor which showed my laptop was actually working when it looked black - or darkly greyed out.   It worked a good while, now it sometimes goes dark after having the computer get really warm as it as has been used for a while - and I haven't taken it back.

Sometimes, I could see a streak or two of the real screen underneath the black/dark screen..... it acted odd.... but try an external monitor if it looks like your computer is working, but looks black.

KayKas

Morning everyone,

Just as the subject above, my laptop won't turn on. I tried unpluging the ac adapter, removed the battery and held down the power button for exactly one minute but still no power up, I just hope it's not a major problem because this is the first time I would ever experience this kind of problem since I've had it for about four years or more. My laptop is a Satellite Pro U300. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me sort this out ASAP. Thanks.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

KayKas wrote:
Morning everyone,

Just as the subject above, my laptop won't turn on. I tried unpluging the ac adapter, removed the battery and held down the power button for exactly one minute but still no power up, I just hope it's not a major problem because this is the first time I would ever experience this kind of problem since I've had it for about four years or more. My laptop is a Satellite Pro U300. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me sort this out ASAP. Thanks.

The next step would be to verify that the battery is charged and that the charger is functioning.  If they both are okay then it's more than likely a failed motherboard.  If that is the case it will probably be cheaper to replace the laptop than fix it.  You'll probably need to take it to a service center to have it checked out unless you have a friend who knows how to check everything out for you.  At the very least you are going to need a DMM (digital multi-meter) to test the battery and charger.

sheriffbob

I was just wondering if this problem was solved...  I have the same problem.  The Satelite L505-S5969 is plugged in and I have two solid green lights in the AC/Battery Charging indicators, but the computer won't turn on.  It does not even make an attempt to turn on.  NO FANS, NO BIOS, NO START UP...  AS IF IT WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF JUICE.  Now, I am not going to pretend that it is the computers fault.  I have a toddler and to be honest the computer has been knocked to the ground more than once.  THE CORDED PLUG HAS BEEN BENT, BUT THE GREEN LIGHTS WOULD INDICATE THAT IT IS STILL GETTING POWER.  I inspected the plug-in on the computer and it does not seem damaged either.  There is a little movement with the cord plugged in, but according to photos and descriptions, this is not damage as bad as other or even damaged at all...  One would also think that this is okay too, due to the powering up of the LED charge indicators.  I have not checked the voltage on the plug, but I plan too and I doubt voltage is the issue.  I played once with the RAM and may play again with it, but even if the RAM was bad, I should still get some sort of power turning on.  Remember, NO FANS, NO POWER TO MONITOR, NO OTHER LIGHTS.  If the RAM was bad, I should get some indication that it wants to work... 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

There are several possibilities here.  It could be a bad connection of the power switch (or a defective switch) would be the first place I would start once you have determined that the battery is fully charged and that the power supply is providing the correct voltage.  It could also be a burnt out motherboard. 

akonuatta

i have a similar problem here with my L305D-S5893. i tried different chargers but the led does not light . there is power on the board though but no led lits up please help!

SaintJude

Charging problems any help

I have this Toshiba satellite that I have been using for some time but for some strange reasons the laptop does not power any time it plug into the power source so I have to charge it when it off till the battery is full before I can use the laptop any help plus

Peter

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.