Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447
Accepted Solution

My Laptop screen is so dark

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone =)

How are you ? I hope you all are fine =)

sorry for bothering you, but I have faced a problem that I hope you can help me with ... =)

I will tell you all what happened with me and all I did to verify the problem =)

First of all, I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, and I am using Windows 7 professional.

The problem started when I was watching a movie on my laptop, suddenly the screen went black ( by no reasons ).

I didn't know what happened and I thought it was a normal problem or error that the overheat would cause..

and the laptop was still working normally , but the screen remained black.

So, I decided to shut down the laptop and let it rest a little bit.

but after a while when I turned on the laptop again, the screen was still dark and only the Toshiba welcome screen

appeared ( but most of it was dark too, and just a small spot appeared ), after only 1 second it gone.

And the the whole screen went black again...then when the windows welcome screen appeared, the same thing

happened, only a small part of it appreared well, and the rest of it was black too.

Then , the windows started normally and I can hear the sounds and everything, but the screen still so dark.

I have searched about the problem on google, and I found a lot of results about the same problem I face.

some people presented solutions, and I tried it all , but no use.

and some of them said to bring a flash light and use it at the laptop screen from a 45 angle.

I tried it, and the icons appeared and the whole desktop appeared.

Which means that the laptop is working well, even the screen is displaying the desktop normally,,

but it's so dark, so I can't see it anymore unless I use a flash light.

I also wanted to search more about the problem, because I was afraid that the hardware was damaged.

So, I connected my laptop with an external monitor to display the desktop...which made me sure that

the screen light bulb may be damaged, or the whole screen is not working !

In addition to, When I set my laptop to turn off the display after 5 minutes, and I back after it turned off the

display, and I move the mouse to turn it on again, I find that the laptop screen is back to normal for about

2 seconds, and then go black again.

That is what happened with me,,

Can you please help me with my problem ??

And really thanks to you all ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: My Laptop screen is so dark

It sounds like probably your inverter, or perhaps backlight bulb has gone/is going. But, it sounds more like the inverter. See this page:

Do I need a laptop screen?

Get back to us with your full model name/number, look on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer. As well, if yours is not a USA model, we need its part number. We do NOT need your serial number.

Then we might be able to track down the right part numbers for you, and maybe some disassembly instructions.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

[ Edited ]

Thanks very much for replying , Mike ^__^

I saw the page that you recommended, and I saw two similar cases to my problem.

DIM SCREEN

BLACK SCREEN

But I would say that my problem is more similar to the BLACK SCREEN than DIM SCREEN.

Because it's totally dark, and I can't see anything displayed on it untless I use the flashlight or I switch on

an external lamb, then open the lid around 135 degree.

without that, I can't see anything, and it's totally black.

------

I brought the Model Name and Number :

- Model Name : SATELLITE A200-1N3

- Model Number : PSAE3E-03C01KAR

Umm, where can i find the part number ?

and Thank you so much ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

Here's the actual part number for the inverter, and these backlights should work. May as well replace both.

K000046470

Satellite A200-A205 backlights

You might find these useful:

Satellite A200 Disassembly

How to replace and fix laptop inverter - any brand / any model

LCD Backlight Removal & Replacement | laptop screen fix |

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

Thanks so much again, Mike ^__^

These things were so useful, and I will let you know how it turns out be as soon as possible ^__^

But, I just want to ask you about something to make sure of it...

I brought my laptop to a random techincal supporter ( in my country )...

and he told me that the whole screen needs to be replaced with a new one,,

and it would cost me around one-hundred dollars ( $100 )...

Do you think he was mistaken ?? and the screen itself is working, but the inverter or backligh bulb only are 

the parts that need to be replaced ? ( not the whole screen ) ?

And if the whole screen really needs to be replaced, would it display - even - small parts of the welcome screen

or when I move the mouse to turn on the display, it brighten al ittle ??

or it would be totally dark ? ( a whole black screen that doesn't display any thing ) ? 

or the laptop will not work anymore ?

I just want to know what will happen if the screen was the damaged part that needs to be replaced ?

and how can I determine if the screen is the problem, or the backlight, or another part =)

So, in the future I can know whether the screen or any part else is the one that need to be fixed :smileyvery-happy:

and, Thank you very much ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

I think that if the whole LCD screen were completely dead, then I do not believe you would not be able to see any image whatsoever, with a flashlight or otherwise. It would be totally dark.

I would never accept a price of 'around' any figure. He should be able to give you a firm price for the screen, and for his labor. But, I think $100, including installation labor, would be a very good price, for a new screen. Also, this would include a new backlight bulb. However, what kind of warranty will he give you on this new screen?

Did you see him actually connect a 'new' or even a used screen and see it work perfectly well?  Because, if it is indeed the inverter, this will NOT be included in a new or used screen. And, this still may be all that needs to be replaced.

Below is the parts list of the USA version of your model. All these part numbers will work in your unit. Also, you can see some prices for your model's screen, you can Google search for more.

Toshiba Satellite A205 PSAE3U

K000040640

This will show you how easy it would have been for your technical support guy to actually demonstrate to you that the inverter is good, and know whether you need a backlight bulb, or an inverter.

How to test whether lcd inverter or bulb is defective

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

Yes, I would believe that too ...

Ummm... he told me it will be in the range of ( $100 - $120 ) depending on my laptop screen size..

is it ( 15.6 inch ) , or is it ( 15.4 inch ) .... etc.

I saw him connect it to an external screen and it worked on it .... but I didn't tell him about

the small parts of the welcome screen that appears...and he didn't try to use a flashlight or whatever .

So, May be he made a hasty decision that the whole screen needs to be replaced; based on what he saw only that moment.

Can you please tell me what is my laptop screen size ? ( according to my laptop model ) ? ^__^

And thanks for the helping guides ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

If you click on your laptop's screen part number in my previous post, you will see that it is shown as a 15.4" screen. 15.4" = 15.4 inches.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

Thank you very much =)

and really Thanks a lot for helping me ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome, good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

Excuse me, Mike ...

something weird happened right now....

I was running my laptop on the battery, and then I restrated my laptop.

after that, suddenly the laptop screen had back to normal ( with it's high quality and brightness ).

it worked perfectly ( as it was nothing happened to it ).

but when I left my laptop for about 15 minutes ( because I set the display to turn off after 15 minutes )

then, when I moved the mouse to turn on the display  again, the same problem happened again...

only small part of the desktop appeared and then disappeared in 1 second.

and then, the whole black screen came back again .

Where do you think is the problem ^__^ ?

and Thanks again so much ^__^

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Think we've covered this. Could be the inverter, or backlight, or either/both are going but not yet gone. Could be a loose connection. Get the parts, take it apart, test.

See this post.  Good luck.

MIke

Occasional Contributor
Khaled9447

ah Okay =)

I will try to get the parts as soon as possible, and let you know how it turned out ^__^

Thanks a lot ^__^

jvdhoeve

I have a similar problem: the screen always turns very dim almost immediately but the laptop is actually working. When closing and opening the lid, the screen turns back on for 1-2 seconds. When connected with a monitor and joggling with FN keys I can get dual monitor setup working for a few minutes. The laptop screen doesnt turn black similar with the attached lcd monitor.

Is this also the inverter ?

Toshiba Satellite pro M70

model no. PSM75E-00J00VBT

Peter

That doesn't appear to be a US model, and this is the forums for Toshiba USA. You may want to contact Toshiba in your region. If it's a European model, you could check the Toshiba Europe forums.

- Peter
Kingsean74

I am not sure if anyone answered this but I have my laptop doing the same thing. I hook up an external monitor and it showed nothing as well. The screen is dim on the laptop but with a flashlight I can see the screen. I also use this program called Teamveiwer that allows me to log on any computer and use my laptop or my desktop. I am actually able to still run programs and everything via Teamveiwer but not with the laptop monitor or an external monitor hooked up to it, but when I turn on my laptop it shows the word TOSHIBA and then it goes really dim. Did anyone find a fix for this issue or is this a separate issue?