WhatWillWrote

My Laptop Won't Boot up

My laptop won't boot. I choose to boot Windows 7 in either recovery or normal mode and neither work.

I just get a Windows picture or a black screen.

My computer is a Satellite L500

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: My Laptop Won't Boot up

Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

Can you reach the Advanced Boot Options menu? If so, choose Repair Your Computer.

Can you reach the System Recovery Options menu? If so, choose Startup Repair.

Let us know the details of what happened.

Which Satellite L500?

-Jerry
WhatWillWrote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have already reached that menu and attempted to boot in  "Safe Mode" and "Startup Repair" as well as a couple others. Safe Mode takes me to a black screen. Startup Repair lets me see my mouse courser, but other than that, a black screen.

I don't know which model it is because I can't boot, and the service manuel does not contain that information, nor does it say on the computer. I can, however, guess that it is a Satellite L500-ST2544.

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

there should be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop that has the model number and the parts number. either one of those will be of help to us.

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
WhatWillWrote

Ok, I just checked.

Part #: PSLU6U-O1000R

Serial #: 12AO9766OQ

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're right. It's more or less equivalent to this one.

Satellite L500-ST2544

If it's important to resurrect this installation, you should try to reach the Recovery Environment using this disc.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs

Otherwise, you can probably restore the hard disk to its original factory-new state using Toshiba recovery media.

Do you need to remove important files before restoring it?

-Jerry
WhatWillWrote

Is that disk the same as a recovery disk I could of (and did) burn with my computer? I made a recovery disk a couple weeks ago, and have already tried it. No luck.

How do I get the Toshiba Recovery media?

And yes, I have many important files, do you know how I can do that?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Is that disk the same as a recovery disk..?

No, it's not the same as Toshiba's recovery discs. This one enables you to access Microsoft's Recovery Environment. You can burn one from within Windows 7 (everybody should do that). A retail Windows 7 installation DVD could also be used.

I made a recovery disk a couple weeks ago, and have already tried it. No luck. How do I get the Toshiba Recovery media?

That is the recovery media. There should have been several - maybe five - discs. When you turn the computer on with the first disc loaded, the computer should ask if you want to restore the hard drive. When you do that, everything on it is replaced with the original stuff.

If the discs don't work, usually you can restore from a hidden partition on the hard drive.

I have many important files,..

The following options are available to you.

Create a bootable CD with another OS and tools on it. See BartPE, Knoppix, UBCD4Win, and Ubuntu. Then you can copy files to an external medium.

Remove the hard drive and place it in an enclosure accessible from a desktop via USB.

-Jerry
WhatWillWrote

The recovery disk I was refering to was a Windows 7 disk. No a Toshiba disk.

I have tried Ubuntu, with no luck.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The recovery disk I was refering to was a Windows 7 disk.

You burned this one?

Create a system repair disc 

I have tried Ubuntu, with no luck.

That tells us nothing. We can't see what you're doing and seeing.

-Jerry
WhatWillWrote

Yes, that disk.

Ubuntu, Norton Recovery Disk, AVG recovery disk, and the Windows 7 recovery disk all give me black screens. My laptop is less than 60 days old... Good grief...

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good grief...

I agree. Unlucky.

You're stuck removing the hard drive to access your files. See Steps 7, 8, and 9 here.

-Jerry
pipeacosta

i have a satellite u505 and i had the same proble, try to hold  the power button for 10 secs. 

WhatWillWrote

While it is on or off?

Marxer007

Was this problem ever fully resolved?  I have the same model laptop and am having the same problems.  I tried the  Windows 7 System Recovery Disc and a boot disk and neither work.  The computer says "Windows updating files" but eventually just goes back to the begining as if the computer was just started up and goes back to the blank screen.

Someone told me that if I use a Windows 7 installation disk that that might work, but my computer didnt come with one.  And I tried holding the power button for 10 seconds too also to no avail.

Though there are a few things on my computer I would like to keep, they are expendable. The last thing that was said on here was to remove the harddrive to retrieve the files. I really dont need to do that.  I can lose the files, I just need my computer working again.  I would have already just reformated and started over by now but I cant even manage to get to a Dos prompt to do that.

Anything else I can try? 

ptportable

My Toshiba Satellite Pro  L450-17 running on window 7 will not turn on. When I plug the AC adapter the power LED and the battery charge LED light up with normal GREEN LIGHT. When I press on the power button the laptop powers up but will not start. There is no video on LCD or external monitor. I have tried to remove the battery and power it directly with AC source but still the samething, i checked on the memory thinking it might be RAM problem, but nothing change.. All this started his morning. Please help.. Any userful information will be highly appreciate..i can't afford to loose my files on the laptop... it contains my life......odusogatosin@gmail.com

nizidor

hi,my laptop cant boot up. the battery light is red. i tried to remove the battery and use the cord to the power source, yet the screen is not showing anything. but the engine fan is running each time  I turn the laptop on. I have tried holding the power botton for 10 sec but nothing happened. Please, I need suggestions what to do. My uni work is there. I need help.