LamiaGalil

My DVD won't burn

hi,,

i own a satellite L300 laptop,, recently,, it won't burn DVD's, only CD's,, when i try to burn a new DVD, the following message appears "Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your CD or DVD burner installed and try again",, i've tried to locate the update requested,, but i can't reach anything,, can you help me??

thanks in advance

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: My DVD won't burn

When your DVD drive won't burn DVDs, there could be a number of reasons. Check the hardware. Go to Control Panel and then Device Manager and make sure that the DVD drive is being seen correctly. It should give you a make and model of drive when you look at the details, with no errors. Check the media that you are using. Maybe the computer doesn't like the disks that you are using. Make sure that the disk are clean and unscratched. Try a different brand or a different speed of disks. If you're still not burning, consider the software that you are using. Maybe your current burning software is damaged or corrupt. Try Nero or Roxio or some other program for burning DVDs. If your computer is still not burning after checking the hardware, changing the media and the burning software, it could always be the drive itself. I would be more hesitant to blame the DVD drive in this case, because it does burn CDs successfully, so it sounds like the speed and alignment are OK. But it still could be the drive if it is having problems with burning DVDs. 

LamiaGalil

thank you for your reply,, it seems that my windows doesn't read the device as DVD,, but reads it only as CD rom,, and i don't think the problem is in the drive itself,, because when i tryed to burn a small amount of data (fits on a CD) on a blank DVD,, it was burned succefully,, still it won't burn a large amount of data,,  i've been advised to re-install the windows,, hope this will work,,

thanks again

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Before I replied to your original e-mail I checked the Detailed Specs on the Satellite L300 and it definitely came with a DVD drive. If Windows is not seeing the DVD drive and thinks it is only a CD drive. Try this, go back to Device Manager and the submenu under CD/DVD drives and highlight the drive. Do a right-click on the drive and Uninstall it. Reboot the computer and see if Windows now sees the drive as a DVD drive. This will allow you to avoid reinstalling Windows and all of your files and programs again.

LamiaGalil

Actually,, i did this before i posted here,, and it didn't help :smileysad:   i still hasn't re-installed the windows yet,, it will cause me a lot of trouble,, and i don't have the time,, so,, any other suggestions? thanks

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Even reinstalling Windows won't guarantee that it will fix the problem. Consider the loss of the feature, not being able to burn DVDs, versus what it is going to cost you in time and effort trying to fix it. Is it worth it? And if it doesn't fix it, my thinking is that it has to be considered a hardware problem. Maybe the little laser has gone bad, the read/write heads are out of alignment, etc. Depending on your warranty, the quicker and easier idea maybe to contact the Call Center and see about getting the computer in for repairs. As always, if you have the computer fixed, always make sure that you back up all of your important files, pictures, etc before sending in your computer.

LamiaGalil

seems that it's the only option left,, thank you so much for you time and help,, i really appreciate it