Taurazz

Moving programs from SSD to Secondary HDD

Hello and thanks in advance for replying (helping!),

I recently purchased a Qosmio X505-Q880 which comes pre-installed with a 64 GB SSD (primary storage) and a 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary storage.) As with all hard drives, the usable space out-of-box on the SSD is only 47GB and 465GB on the conventional HDD. Toshiba has it set up to where the SSD is the default storage drive and all the programs and applications automatically reside there. I would like to move the Program Files folders to the secondary HDD, thus freeing up valuable space on the SSD. I used the folder migration utility but that only moves my User folder. 

Is there a way to move all the program folders to the conventional HDD from the SSD? I want to keep just the OS and my games on the SSD and use the conventional HDD for everything else. 

Thanks. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Moving programs from SSD to Secondary HDD

Nope.  You would need to uninstall the apps and programs first, then re-install them to the other hard drive.   You can move the My Documents folder to the second hard drive quite easily though. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Windows-7_-_Moving_My_Documents

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

IceDown

Actually this may be possible in a round about way using mklink to create a symbolic link from a directory on the secondary drive to the SSD. 

The problem will be actually making sure everything gets moved and getting the old directory out of the way.  Windows protects these directories pretty heavily, and for good reason.  Someone with more experience than I do may know a way to safely move the actual directory so a symlink can be placed.

Occasional Advisor
Heman

The safest way would be an uninstall reinstall, and to point new installation to a folder on the HDD.

Tranferring your Profile to a secondary drive.

That provides a walkthrough on moving the profile, the same thing should be possible for the Program Files directory, though you'd have to circumvent windows protections first before fiddling with it.

www.google.com