iluvmusic88

Malware removal

[ Edited ]

Hello, sorry if I put this in the wrong category, as I didn’t see one for malware, viruses, etc.

I’m trying clean up my sister-in-laws Toshiba L305 laptop with AMD Sempron processor.  She didn’t
have current a/v software on the laptop and accidentally downloaded on of those ‘scareware’ programs that look like an anti-virus program.  I was able to help get that off of there using system restore.  But, she also has
a couple of other problems on the laptop.  One, is that intermittent commercials play on the laptop every once in a
while, for no reason (I think they’re usually Cinema Now commercials), and also she says that it redirects her sometimes to fake a/v sites when googling some things.

It looks like she has some malware on her laptop, so I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good malware checker/cleaner that I could get for a reasonable price.  I’ve since loaded a 2 year version of Bitdefender a/v on her laptop, and have run full and deep scans on it using that, as well as running a scan with housecall
online.  But, all they have discovered are tracking cookies. So, it is protected now…but some damage has already been done. 

So, I’d appreciate it if anyone could recommend a good malware checker/cleaner.  Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Malware removal

After updating it, run a full scan with the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

If you come back here, tell us which Satellite L305 that is. Look for a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
iluvmusic88

Thanks Jerry, I downloaded that, and ran a quick scan and it found something called malware.trace.  I looked that up and it does look like that causes some of the behavior that the laptop has been exhibiting.  It said that it removed it, but now I'm running a full scan just to see if it picks up anything else. 

The model is the L305D-S5974.

Thanks again!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L305D-S5974

Be sure to update Malwarebytes to the latest signatures. Go to the Update tab.

-Jerry
Regular Advisor
eniac

[ Edited ]

You could also run a scan with SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition.

Ccleaner might also help.

You'll want to uninstall Malwarebytes and SAS before installing

a real-time AV program like Microsoft Security Essentials.

Having more than one AV program might cause conflicts.

You may also find some useful information here and here.