chezzam

Loose USB ports on Satellite A500.Options

I have a Toshiba Satellite A500 (Model# PSAP3U-08100LB). The twin USB ports on the right-hand side have come loose and fallen into the case. I can see them there but I can't plug anything in. There is only one USB port left (on the left) and that has also started to come loose.

I found a number of posts from others with the same problem (most of them on A505s) but this was the most helpful: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/General-Technology/US​B-ports-detached-on-the-inside/m-p/117301#M23862 - it offers the best feedback and describes the USB ports as being screwed to the inner case of the laptop rather than being soldered to the m/brd. It also includes a link to irisvista with a guide to repairing an A505 - the link states it also works for A500 as well.

I had a guy quote me to fix the problem and he told me that he had worked 'on hundreds of A500s'. He gave me a good price but said the USB port would need to be 'soldered back to the motherboard'. This conflicts with the information I got from the post above.

Can anyone tell me if the A500 is the same internally as the A505? Are technical guides for any A500 or A505 model the same? Where can I find technical guides and spare parts? 

Super Advisor
brad

Re: Loose USB ports on Satellite A500.Options

A500 and A505 are the same physically, at some point the extra "5" denoted retail channel product versus business, but now I think it's just random numbers like the rest of Toshiba's naming policy.

Sorry, no ideas on the repair portion of your question, very odd that the ports would be designed so falling off (or in) would even be a possibility.

SinaFritz59

[ Edited ]

I have an A505 with the exact same problem and it is only 18 months old and of course, out of warranty.  I took it to our tech at work and she opened it up and showed me where the ports are supposed to be attached.  Turns out that they are held in place by a single small screw that goes into a small plastic post that is positioned in between the two ports.  They are wired to the motherboard, not soldered or reinforced in any way.  That means that everytime you plug something into one of the USB ports, they can torque ever so slightly eventually breaking that teeny tiny post.  Once that post is busted, the ports get pushed back into the case. 

Poor design in my opinion - but fixable if you have the moxy.  Since it is out of warranty anyway, my husband and I are going to attempt to glue it to what's left of the post, then jury rig a plastic wedge to put between the back of the ports and the motherboard so they can't shift around anymore.  This is what should have been done in the first place! 

oldforbes

This may not help with the loose ports but it is another possible solution.  There is an Express Card Slot on the left side of your laptop.  You can buy a USB card to insert in the Express Card Slot.  It will give you a new USB port to use on your laptop.  The idea of taking my laptop apart, with the complex instructions provided, did not appeal to me.  This may provide an optional solution.  A better one would be for Toshiba to own up to this problem and order a recall.  I had the same problem with loose USB ports and I am sure that the people in this forum are only the tip of the iceberg.

fontanaba

Great solution. I learned long ago to NOT take computers apart (I only make things worse). I just ordered the ExpressCard-a great alternative to a $200-$300 repair for us chickens. Thank you.

PS12

[ Edited ]

SinaFritz59 wrote:

I have an A505 with the exact same problem and it is only 18 months old and of course, out of warranty.  I took it to our tech at work and she opened it up and showed me where the ports are supposed to be attached.  Turns out that they are held in place by a single small screw that goes into a small plastic post that is positioned in between the two ports.  They are wired to the motherboard, not soldered or reinforced in any way.  That means that everytime you plug something into one of the USB ports, they can torque ever so slightly eventually breaking that teeny tiny post.  Once that post is busted, the ports get pushed back into the case. 

Poor design in my opinion - but fixable if you have the moxy.  Since it is out of warranty anyway, my husband and I are going to attempt to glue it to what's left of the post, then jury rig a plastic wedge to put between the back of the ports and the motherboard so they can't shift around anymore.  This is what should have been done in the first place! 

Hey My laptop A505 did the same thing today and I was wondering if you tried to glue it back in place, did it work?

Thanks!

lacawana

Re: Loose USB ports on Satellite loosened

This same thing just happened to me.  I was using one of the two USB ports on the right hand side of the laptop to connect to a printer.  I moved the laptop (while connected) and somehow this must have loosened the USB ports.  Now they just sink back into the laptop and are unusable.  Luckily I found a work around (for now).  I am using the USB port on the right hand side (towards the front) and purchased a USB hub for under $15. Now I have USB ports back.  I have never had USB ports do this on any other machine.  I have had this laptop since 12/2009.  Poor design in my opinion.   May try opening up the case to see if something is obvious or using the other suggestion regarding the screw and pins holding down the ports.  I am guessing my pin broke as well.

Question - does anybody know what the USB port on the right hand side towrds the rear does?  i cannot get that to work. 

ch_sujith

[ Edited ]

Got into the same problem with my Satellite A505-S6980, Out of Warranty. :catsad:

Occasional Contributor
xresx

Yea comon problem on this model, there are actually no USB ports directly on the MB. Best way I have found to fix is to reposition them and hot glue back in place :-p Or you can replace the whole bottom case.