dster

Linux on Satellite L505D-S5992

Does anyone know how to get linux (preferrably Linux Mint 7 or 8....however, any linux would be great at this point) onto a toshiba satellite L505D-S5992 Laptop?  I have tried booting from a cd and usb.....it will boot after a verrrrrry long time with a usb....but nothing works (mouse, keyboard, etc....).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You in advance.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Linux on Satellite L505D-S5992

You'll probably have better luck posting in one of the Dedicated Linux Forums Sites.  There aren't that many Linux posts here. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
Comodin

As you I bought the same model and as you I had the wish to dual boot Windows 7 with, in my case, Ubuntu. As I discovered after several tries and hacking kernels (as a newbie) is that Toshiba is the worst laptop/desktop you could buy if you want to run Linux. The problem is this: Toshiba included two sets of boot data that tell the OS what hardware exists in the machine. Windows reads the correct one. Linux doesn't. I had Ubuntu up and running but couldn't get my microphone to work and the laptop heated up. There were so many challenges and problems, that in the end I gave up. Really, it's easier to install Linux on a Mac.

Now selling my Toshiba and advise anyone who wants to run Linux on there computer, to do the same.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Absolutely no problems running any recent version of Linux on my Toshiba.  Every version that was released since 2009 has worked like a charm and has detected every piece of hardware on it.  But then I have an INTEL based laptop instead of an AMD based one.  That makes a LOT of difference.  It has nothing to do with Toshiba, only with what chipsets you have on your laptop. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
Comodin

Mmm, maybe. Anyhow, I had my laptop for sale but decided to read up on Maverik Meerkat, the new Ubuntu version with its official release in October 2010. It seems they solved the ACPI problem and I confirm this because I installed the 3rd Alpha release and it works like a charm.

Not selling my Toshiba afterall, and although in the beginning I was complaining about the incompatibility of memory modules and not being able to run Lucid Lynx, I must say I really like my laptop.