mpquick

Latch damage on Satellite A215

The latch to open my Satellite A215 broke off.  My Toshiba warranty has already expired.  Best Buy will not honor my extendd warranty claiming the latch breaking is not due to normal wear and tear of opening the computer.  Has anyone had this problem or know if this is a common problem with Toshiba Satellite computers? 
Frequent Advisor

Re: Latch damage on Satellite A215

mpquick wrote:
The latch to open my Satellite A215 broke off.  My Toshiba warranty has already expired.  Best Buy will not honor my extendd warranty claiming the latch breaking is not due to normal wear and tear of opening the computer.  Has anyone had this problem or know if this is a common problem with Toshiba Satellite computers? 

I'd suggest calling a Premier Service Center from the list that you can get by clicking on the 'Repair' link at the top of the page.  Ask about the cost of replacing your latch.

I have no ideas on whether this is a 'common problem' with Toshibas or not.  I'll note that Apple, the industry leader, has gone to a magnetic latch for the lid and a magnetic plug for power.  Those two areas are probably the most prone to unintentional abuse by users.  

I could comment on the worthlessness of BestBuy's extended warranty, but you've found that out the hard way.  If you buy another Toshiba in the future, look into Toshiba's SystemGuard warranty, which covers even accidental damage.

(No, I don't work for Toshiba, I just know a good deal when I see one.)