iamgandhi
Accepted Solution

Laptop wont start - \Boot\BCD 0xc000000f

[ Edited ]

So I did a Windows update, then restarted and now this error appears. I also deselected "Enable tab groups" in Internet Options under tab settings. I dont know if this could affect it but thats all the changes I did since the last restart, I cant think of anything else except for Windows and McAfee updates. I have Vista 32, Satellite laptop, McAfee firewall. Does model matters? On the sticker there's A500 - 13F

This is what I get. I was already googling for this error but I cant find anything useful other than same questions.

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1.   Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2.   Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”

3.   Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configurations data.

Enter= Continue     ESC=Exit

I dont have this boot CD and no blank CDs or DVDs to burn on until I buy some tomorrow. I also dont have any installation disk, the OS was already installed and I dont remember getting any recovery disk with it (unless if I lost it). What can I do? Is using boot CD the only option?

Now I've tried F12 for Boot menu. I get 3 options, HDD1/SSD1, CD/DVD and LAN, but none of them work, I still get the same error screen. I've also tried with F8 after reading few posts with the same error, but I still end with the same error message. F2 is for Setup but I dont find anything useful. I also have HDD recovery on D partition on the current laptop and on the other one that has this error, can this fix it?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Laptop wont start - \Boot\BCD 0xc000000f

Satellite A500-13F 

Try this.

Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key.

On the Advanced Boot Options menu, choose Repair Your Computer.

When you reach the System Recovery Options menu, choose Startup Repair.

If that doesn't do the trick, go back to the System Recovery Options menu and do a System Restore.

If that doesn't fix things either, go back to the System Recovery Options menu, choose Command Prompt, and follow the directions here

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair start...

-Jerry
LOSTIEHELPER

Same problem here.  I was running Rainmeter when the computer froze and all the programs locked up.  I tried to manually shut-off the programs using force quit, but that wasn't responding, so I just shut down the computer.  When I try to start the computer you hear the HDD start up and the Toshiba title page comes up, and then the screen jumps to a black blank screen.  Tried to restart multiple times and same outcome.  Bought the A505-S6004 computer yesterday with limited one-year warranty and doesn't work.  A response would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

gsm1410

Same thing with my laptop... 
I used an original windows... When I tried to enter the recovery system by pressing F8, it cannot work, and it returned to the screen as below: 

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
  2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”
  3. Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Enter= Continue     ESC=Exit

I tied another way by holding 0 and power button simultaneously, again, it didn't work...
How to solve the problem? I just want to enter the recovery system manager. Once I enter, I will reformat my computer... 

Thanks for the assistance... 

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Hi! Has anyone that is replying on this thread created a system repair disc?? If you have boot with it and try each method to fix your problem.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-a-system-repair-disc-to-restore-windows.html

If Windows 7 won't start or starts with significant problems, you may need to use the System Repair Disc to fix problems with Windows 7. The System Repair Disc is designed to let you boot up Windows — even if nothing else works — and provides you with several options for repairing your failing system.

You need to create the system repair disc. If you don’t create one, you limit your recovery options. The system repair disc is not the same thing as the recovery disc that came with your computer. It won’t reinstall Windows 7 and it won’t reformat your computer. It's simply a gateway to Windows' built-in recovery tools.

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.