Occasional Contributor
tommy_vercetti

Laptop won't boot

Hi,

My wife's Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 will not boot.

Here are the particulars:

For months leading up to this it would sometimes fail to boot.  I thought she was just holding the power button down too long--every time I would try it and just tap the power button it would boot up fine.  Now it won't boot at all.

The symptoms of the failure are that the blue light which indicates power comes on when I push the power button, and I hear the CD drive spin briefly, but that is all.  The blue light stays on, but no image comes up.  I can get a light on the keyboard to come on by pressing the FN key.  I can make the blue power light go off by holding down the power button (hard shutdown.) 

I've tried removing the battery and booting with just the AC power cord, no luck.

I've tried pressing FN F5 repeatedly, with no results.  I don't think it is the screen since the problem would occur intermittently and when it would work the image was fine.  Also, I've tried a "known good" external monitor and it says "no image."  So I believe it is NOT the screen. 

Thanks in advance,

SA

Peter

Re: Laptop won't boot

When the notebook's turned off but plugged into power, are any of the LEDs on?

Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

If it still won't start, remove the battery and start with just the AC power. Next try without the AC power and just the battery.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
tommy_vercetti

"When the notebook's turned off but plugged into power, are any of the LEDs on?"

Yes, 2.

It works with the AC unplugged and the battery in, but as soon as I plug in the AC it freezes up.

How can I use it with the AC plugged in?

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Something could be wrong with the AC power supply. The AC power supply actually takes the AC power and converts it to DC and steps the power down from 120 volts AC to 19 volts DC. Use a voltmeter and check output of the power brick. Are you getting the correct voltage? It maybe a volt higher than 19 volts because there is no load on it, but that is normal. If the voltage is correct and you're getting DC current, it's probably a problem with the system board, which is an expensive repair. Hopefully the computer is still under warranty.

The only other option is to use the computer until the battery discharges. Turn off the computer, plug in the AC power cable and recharge the battery until you can use the computer again. And again disconnect the power cord.

Benyu

i got the opposite situation when it it wont boot with battery,but it is fine when AC adapter is plug in
Occasional Contributor
tommy_vercetti

"Something could be wrong with the AC power supply. The AC power supply actually takes the AC power and converts it to DC and steps the power down from 120 volts AC to 19 volts DC. Use a voltmeter and check output of the power brick. Are you getting the correct voltage? It maybe a volt higher than 19 volts because there is no load on it, but that is normal. If the voltage is correct and you're getting DC current, it's probably a problem with the system board, which is an expensive repair. Hopefully the computer is still under warranty.

The only other option is to use the computer until the battery discharges. Turn off the computer, plug in the AC power cable and recharge the battery until you can use the computer again. And again disconnect the power cord."

I've tried 2 different chargers.  So I guess she will have to use it unplugged only.

Benyu

I set the fast boot in bios then it booting fine with battery without AC adapter now, but i cant get back in bios when i restarting laptop by tabbing the F2 key any where i can get back into bios when fast boot is enable?
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Hold the F2 key DOWN while turning the machine on until BIOS appears.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
sbo547

I have the very same problem, the computer got worse over a few months and now will not start at all.

I have heard it could be the bios, or the motherboard, or an update....  if you find a cure please pass it on to me.

Good luck,

Steve

Occasional Contributor
tommy_vercetti

Is the systemboard the same as the motherboard?  How much do they cost approximately?  Can I change it out myself?

Regular Contributor
Y33trekker