Jay113
Accepted Solution

Laptop won't boot up past the Toshiba start up message

Hello,

Recently I received a notice from windows defender on my laptop warning me of a severe threat, which was followed by a blue screen with a long message. I didn't take time to read it though.

I quickly shut down the laptop in fear of my laptop getting damaged. I figured I would be able to turn it back on and go into safe mode, but unfortunately after it reads TOSHIBA it now goes to a black screen that doesn't load. The black screen has a slash in the top-left corner, and doesn't do anything after that.

I've tried restoring the factory image settings by holding "0" down while powering it up in which case it goes to the same black screen as above, but with a message at the bottom saying, "HDD Recovery Mode". I left it on for about an hour to see if had recovered, but had no luck. I don't know what to do, and would really appreciate some insight on whether I will be able to fix this, or not.

It is a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5839, and I've had it for about 2 1/2 years without any problems. I'm also reluctant to buy the recovery disk because I'm not sure if it will even be able to get past the black screen that appears.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Laptop won't boot up past the Toshiba start up message

[ Edited ]

So, if you start quickly and continuously pressing the 'F8' key as soon as you see the Toshiba logo, you are unable to get into the 'Advanced Boot Options' menu to try 'Safe Mode'?

If so, let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring the unit back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Jay113

Okay, I did everything you said and I was able to go into BIOS set up to load setup defaults, but it continues to go to the same black screen. Is there anything else I could try?

I really appreciate your help, thanks! 

Super Advisor
miker643

If you are still running the Vista 32bit edition your system came with, go to this link, download the Windows Vista Recovery Disk 32bit editon, and burn a bootable recovery disk.

Vista Recovery Disks

Then try to boot off this disk and try a 'Startup Repair'. Then let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Mike

Jay113

[ Edited ]

I was able to boot the disk to do a start up repair, but when I restarted it goes to the black screen again. I even tried after I did a system restore. It said there were no errors found when it searched during the repair though. 

I tried again and now I have an error saying the CD-ROM drive is failing, and was caused by unplugging a removable storage device while it was in use. It says to remove anything connected to the laptop.

Thanks again for your help!  

Super Advisor
miker643

Try removing the DVD\CD drive from the laptop and see if it will boot without that installed. See the first few steps in these instructions to remove the drive.

Toshiba Satellite A215 Disassembly

Good luck.

Mike

_mr-bossco_

I'm having the same exact issue with a brand new satelite L675. I would be greatly interested in the outcome of this one

Jay113

[ Edited ]

No luck. I removed the CD drive, but I'm still getting the same black screen.

Anymore help is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

You were able to boot up with the Vista recovery disks. So, I doubt there is anything seriously wrong with your hardware, with the possible exception of your DVD/CD drive. Whether you need to buy a new CD/DVD drive, I cannot say.  But, I would order the recovery disks and use those to rebuild your system. If during, or especially after, rebuilding your system you continue to receive CD/DVD drive failing errors, you should probably replace the drive.

Ordering Recovery Media

Third party recovery media suppliers. But, we have no information on them so use caution.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

CD\DVD drive info:

Satellite A215-S5839 PSAEGU-03D01L CD/DVD drives & part numbers   

Satellite A215 CD DVD drives

Please let us know how it turns out.  Good luck.

Mike

Jay113

I was able to boot up the recovery disk to restore it to it's recovery state. I lost all old files, but none of them were too important. I'm just glad It's working perfectly again.

Thanks for all your help again.:smileyhappy:

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome. Happy to help. We really appreciate you letting us know it all worked out.

Mike

tinle

I tried to reboot my laptop to factory default and hit cancel in the middle of the run. Now my laptop wont let me log in. It either says  initializing the parition or an error message appears and ask me to hit ok to shut it off.

Dani12345678901

Mike,
I tried to do everything that you said and it is goes to the screen that says windows is loading files but then it says an error occurred with your laptop enter=choose and I push enter and it goes back to the toshiba screen! I'm getting so mad! If you can help that would be great!
THANKS!!!!!
Ediesheila

I have a Toshiba C675. About a month ago, my Norton 360 wasn't doing a full scan. I uninstalled it then reistalled it again but, it still wasn't working. I then tried to do a system restore but, it didn't do anything. Another problem is that I believe when I upgraded the internet explorer, that messed it up all together. Now I tried to do a system recovery but now it doesn't reboot. I put my Norton 360 into the drive and put the product key in it and scanned the computer for errors and viruses but it still doesn't boot up. What do I need to do now?