CheeKing

Laptop randomly shutting off.

Wasn't sure where to put this as I'm not too sure what the problem could be.
I have a Satellite A665-S6070 running Windows 7 Professional.
So here's the story.
About a month and a half ago my laptop started to randomly die on me.
I kind of dismissed it as something minor until it started increasing in frequency and sometimes would take multiple attempts to power up. It would power up then within seconds power off again.
Did a system restore from Safe mode and that seemed to stop it for a week or so.
After a week the problem came back, so I tried restoring again but to no avail this time.
I took the laptop to Best Buy/Geek Squad because I have Black Tie protection on it.
I thought it was th HDD going out on me since I started getting a warning that the HDD was failing.
They couldn't find out what was wrong because the laptop was shutting off on them during diagnosis so they sent it off. They "assumed" that it wasn't the HDD causing the problem.
Two weeks later (this past Friday) I pick up the laptop and was told the motherboard and fan were replaced.
I take it back home and within the first hour the problem comes back. I take it back to Best Buy and was told that they would have to charge me 60 bucks because he "thinks" it may be a software problem instead of a hardware problem (I only have Black Tie, which only covers hardware, not software).
I decline.
Since then I've left the laptop running for a good 8 hours in safe mode with no powering off.
Then when I try to boot it in normal mode, it cuts off after an hour and take multiple attempts to start up again.
It wouldn't boot in normal mode so I went into safe mode and reinstalled the OS.
Seemed to have solved the problem until I started reinstalling all of the missing drivers/programs/utilites from Windows Updates and from the Toshiba Downloads page.
After I got through most of the Toshiba downloads I started having the problem again.

So now I'm not sure what could be the issue(s).
Either it's some software from Windows or Toshiba that is causing the problem or it's some failing hardware part that I can't identify or a combination of the two.

So I'm thinking I'll take it to Best Buy and demand a HDD test/change but that is really my last idea on what to do to find out the problem.

Anybody have any other ideas that could help?

Regular Advisor
eniac

Re: Laptop randomly shutting off.

Sounds like a driver or an update is causing the problem.

I would install the baseline drivers and important MS

updates only. Read through the optional MS updates to

see which ones were applicable and leave the Toshiba

updates alone and see if the problem recurs.

Here are some other options: Using System Configuration

CheeKing

Thanks for the advice.
If the problem reappears after replacing the HDD then I'll take that route into software trouble shooting.

I took the laptop to Best Buy today to get the HDD tested and replaced (if neccessary) and also to have the internal power supply tested to see if that might have been the problem.

I'll update when I get it back in the next few days.

Occasional Contributor
kiranfocuz

hi dear , how are you . please update 1 things =  check it weather its working perfectly in  battery mode .

i know this issue and have solution also . this PROBLEM  not  related with  any kind of sofwer or driver issue .

before conforming update me  first  qustion . today  u just swich off and charge  upto 4 hour , and  remove Adaptor .and use battery mode .

waiting your responce

Occasional Contributor
lugia2142

[ Edited ]

Funny how this works. Even my Toshiba Satellite A665-S6065 has had this issue. Sent it in like 5 times to Toshiba repair. Problems always come up immedaitely in 1 day or a month(Sometimes comes back with additional issues like dead usb ports or very loud cd drive). They normalyl just try flashing the bios or replacing the system board. They won't even tell what the issue is on the diagnostic paper so I have no idea if they have found the source of this issue. Then I try to use it till the shotdown issue appears again. Then I have to send it in for repair again. I mean. They've never fully fixed this issue on my computer. I've sent it to the point that warrenty has expired and its partly their fault for not resolving the issue at all. I'm starting to wonder if their just waiting for the point we have to pay for the repairs for them to fully repair it. None of my other brand Pc's have these issues and have lasted a long time. After having some laggy internet issues, I tried resetting my dapter(pressing enable and disable on the keyboard). It seems my internet adapter has disappeared off device manager! I assume that there's no way to easily open it up to try to reinsert the internet adpater for it seems to be only places to open to replace ram or hard drive. This sucks. Not to mention I've tried taking out the battery solutions.

CheeKing

Update: Finally got it back today. HDD was replaced.

To Kiranfocuz
- Hi, thank you for the response. I've tried running it in battery mode and with the power cord only and the problem arises in both situations.

Update:
Got it back today a few hours ago and the Geek Squad tech told me that they didn't have any problems with it at all. I took it back home and began the long task of updating and reinstalling drivers and the laptop began doing something new. It would go to a black screen with a little cursor flashing in the top left corner then it would go into standby mode. Regardless if I was doing anything or not, it would occur, but I could power it up the first few times and it would resume windows. Soon after than it was just shutting off again.
Did a system restore with no avail as it froze in the middle of it.
Restarted and held 0 for the "secret" restart function.
Computer goes off again and has a hard time starting. It auto-runs the start up repair wizard a few times and finally starts up again.
More Windows updates, I shut it off to install the updates.
Seems ok, then once I tried to turn it on again I had to go through the repair wizard again.
And now it's running for the past half hour with no problems.

Honestly have no idea what further to look into.
Any other suggestions?
At the moment I'm just installing updates and drivers one by one to see if any of them are affecting the laptop.

CheeKing

Toshiba Satellite models have a lot of troubles in general.
Mine came with an i7, which was the only reason I decided that it might have been of better quality but this constant problems are making me regret buying it.

Occasional Contributor
lugia2142

Same here. Mine came with a i7 too and I regret buying it because of these constant isuses. I sent it into repair quite a lot of times and they never resolved the issue from appearing again. Now the warrenty expired after their failture of a warrenty, they demand pay for repair they probably can't even repair properly/completely.  I mean I had to wait for repair so logn that I probably have only actually used the labtop on hand for like 1-2 months out of 1 whole year. My friend's toshiba thati like ... well I forot the model Toshiba Satellite A665-S5 something ..... is a i5 core and works fine and has a quiet fan. Currently the randomly shutting off has excelerated to not beign able to boot up.

penolioallan

Hi I'm having a problem on my Toshiba satellite laptop when IM playing NBA2k13. Its randomly shutting down when IM playing. But on NBA2k11 & @2k12.Its OK. There's no problem. How can I fix that? Your response are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Allan:cathappy:

amphibio

Hi,

I know that it was a while ago but wonder if yo could sort out the issue with your Toshiba? Mine just started to have the same problem and the warranty has long ran off. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

Regular Advisor
bmurray

amphibio wrote:

Hi,

I know that it was a while ago but wonder if yo could sort out the issue with your Toshiba? Mine just started to have the same problem and the warranty has long ran off. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!

I'd suggest starting your own post and describe exacly what is going on.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit