fannd1955

Laptop no power -

My laptop A205 Satillite lost power last night while using.  I have checked charger - it is ok!  Read posted messages - most likely problem with soldered connection to charger port or motherboard.  Either way it made me think of this question.

If it's not feasible to fix -  how do I transfer my existing programs and files from this computer to a new computer?

Program Example

MS Office

Slingbox

Other misc program which I purchased and downloaded onto this now dead computer.  

Files Examples

Too many to mention 

Thanks for your help

Frequent Advisor

Re: Laptop no power -

fannd1955 wrote:

My laptop A205 Satillite lost power last night while using.  I have checked charger - it is ok!  Read posted messages - most likely problem with soldered connection to charger port or motherboard.  Either way it made me think of this question.

If it's not feasible to fix -  how do I transfer my existing programs and files from this computer to a new computer?

Program Example

MS Office

Slingbox

Other misc program which I purchased and downloaded onto this now dead computer.  

Files Examples

Too many to mention 

Thanks for your help

Buy an external enclosure for the notebook hard drive, remove the drive and install it into the enclosure.  This should allow access to your data files.  Make sure the enclosure's interface is the same as the notebook's hard drive.  The A205 series uses serial ATA (SATA) 

drives according to the specs.

Transferring programs is usually not possible because of registry entries that are made as part of the install process.  So, you'll have to reinstall your programs using the original media.  If you saved the downloads of the programs you purchased on the hard drive, then you should be able to reinstall using those downloaded files.