harguthm
Accepted Solution

Laptop keeps shutting down

For the past week or so, my Toshiba A305-s6905 has been giving me the message that IE has unexpectedly shut down.  Now today, my whole computer shut down.  The repair screen came up, but it said no repairs could be found.  Obviously, I did get the laptop to restart, but I am afraid it will shut down any minute.

I use AVG (paid) and run it every day, including today.  I use vista home premium with IE.  This was purchased in 2007 and has 3 g of memory.

Today I did a disk clean up and got the message I did not need to defrag.

HELP!!!!

HarguthM

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Laptop keeps shutting down

Satellite A305-S6905

today, my whole computer shut down. 

What more can you tell us about that? A blue screen? A message during shutdown?

What were you doing then? If that occurs again, pay attention to what information you can gather.

When the computer overheats, it will suddenly turn off to protect components.

..has been giving me the message that IE has unexpectedly shut down.

Don't be too concerned it that occurs from time to time while browsing. It happens to everybody once in a while. Often depends upon the sites, how many are open at once, and so forth.

Which version of IE do you use?

In the meantime, check your disk and run the System File Checker.

Check your hard disk for errors

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows...

-Jerry
harguthm

Jerry,

It just plain shut down to the black screen. No message whatsoever.

The first time I had left for a short period of time and when I came back, the computer was off.  I thought that perhaps I had somehow shut it down.  The next 2 times, I was playing farkle via FB.

It was the last time, that I got the message"Computer unable to start. And would be doing the start up repair.  After a few minutes, another message asking if I wanted to restore; I clicked yes, but then got a message saying computer was unable to restore.

After leaving the computer off for a few minutes, I was able to restart normally.

I just finished checking my hard disk for errors (took about 2 hours) and I don't think anything was found.  I also told the computer to fix anything it found.

I believe I'm using IE7.  If not that, 8.

I am wondering if heat was the cause for the shutdown?  I do have the laptop sitting on 2 drink coasters to promote air flow.  I also used canned air on the fan and the memory card opening.

Do you think a clean install would help?

Marlene

Regular Advisor
alexuw

[ Edited ]

You need to determine what the temperatures are when the laptop is idle and before it shutsdown.

Use a recording software like HWmonitor or HWinfo [both are free, although HWmonitor is more user friendly].

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

After leaving the computer off for a few minutes, I was able to restart normally..

That might indicate it cooled down, Marlene. See Alex' post.

Find out which version of Internet Explorer you're using

Do you think a clean install would help?

Restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media would help if the problem is due to software. If it persisted, then software would be ruled out.

But that takes time. You'd have many Windows updates to install.

-Jerry
virtural

[ Edited ]

Hi,
am having the same problem for 11 months. Went thru 10 harddrives in 11 months: the last 3 months were westernDigita, Seagate and WesternDigital(2 year warranies each). The first 7 were referbs.. anyhow, It crashed for months then when I logged in thru safe mode it didnt crash, this happened both with vista and windows7. I bought a fan table to keep it cool but that didnt help.
today stranded in south korea the toshia rep would not even load the copy of my windows 7 onto my harddrive so that I could get passport visa etc. I did clean installs and even erased each harddrive completely (3 days each) but still same thing with vista 32 bit and Windows 7. This time getting boot loader not loaded when I try to install with this computer.  I believe this is a bios update problem with toshiba and harddrives, the creeps at one toshiba told me it was the mother board but when the harddrive isnt connected it doesnt crash or overheat or anything. I cant even find a way to contact toshiba because their support requests arent thee anymore. I definitely will never buy a toshiba again because of this continuous disaster and apathy of the company to fix it.

I have a Satellite C875-S7303, prctically brand new laptop. I usually play games on it, like L4D2 and Borderlands, until one day it had shut down. No response, no warning. I felt the fan, and it wasn't as hot as it usually got when playing an intensive game. I started it back up, and tried other games. Nothing worked, within 5 minutes, my laptop had just shut down. I did everything I could to fix it. I knew my family was going to blame me for breaking it, as I'm the only person in the house that clicks the "Settings" button when I get a new game. I've been testing with the problem, and seeing if it was just Steam games that caused this, or if it was just games rendered in 3D. It recently got worse, no shutting off on flash games and Windows 8 apps. I hate Win8 with firey passion, but I have to deal with it and it's many incompatibilities because my sister loves it. I just want this fixed, because now I'm going to have to wait around 8 months to build my own gamming PC that won't do this, and let me play games without throwing a problem at me.

Also, this seems to be a reccouring problem in Toshiba laptops. I'm not a fan of this, because I've always liked Toshiba products.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

your computer turned off because there is some instability issue going on.  whether it is due to your gaming or not, you need to check the basics.  First would be make a backup of the system.  Win 8 has this built in and can create an image of your system which you then save to an external media. 

Next, check the hard drive.  Run diagnostics (check disk) and see if there are any errors.  if you have not created restore disks yet, do so now. 

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Blaz0n

I have a Satellite L505D-S5965 3GB SDRAM, 250GB HDD and have been having the exact same problem that many of you have. This PC was originally loaded in 2007 and purchased (NEW) in 2008 and I've been living with this shutdown for well over 3 yrs. 

After reading every review and so-called help to this problem, I have tried them all (including a re-load of the-out-of-box-state), and I have found zero that work. On my own, I did try this: I went to the Toshiba Eco Utility that (I presume) is built-in to each Toshiba made. I turn this to -ON- and make sure the screen is @ a dim of 4 or less. Sure, this is no good for gaming, but this is not a gaming computer to begin with. It has worked. No more shut downs, not more crappy (can't start msgs). If I turn it off though, OMG - within' 30 minutes - I hear that "Pearmmm" sound many of you are all too familiar with - and it shuts down without warning. So my recommendation is to use Toshiba Eco Utility and keep the PC as COOL/COLD as possible. I'm no computer genius, but this appears to be a heat-related issue, and it's sad to see so many people having issues with their Toshiba (ON A TOSHIBA SITE/FORUM) and Toshiba has not acknowledged this issue as of yet. Trust me guys, this is the last Toshiba I will ever purchase. I hope THIS post helps someone out there. ~Blaz0n

Regular Advisor
bmurray

likely a heat issue from dust/dirt/etc clogging up the fan and heatsink.  Either open the case and give it a proper cleaning including reseating the heatsink with new thermal paste, or bring to computer shop and have them do it.  I can't believe someone can put up with a computer that performs like your for five years without getting it fixed.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
KirkThornton

[ Edited ]

Every time I open my screen my Toshiba Lap Top shuts down. I run operating system Wndow 7 64bit processor. I'm currently running Fix It Utilitys. It is unable to find and fix the problem. It has to fix Registry errors when it shuts down. I run this program on 3 computers and it maintains them all. It does a great job. There is no over heating issues.  The computer also runs fine on my tv monitor. Every once in a while it has to reboot. I have to open the monitor to turn it on. If I don't shut it fast enough and the screen turns on it shuts off.Please advise what to do.