MarkJM

Laptop extremely slow boot up & slow everything after faulty boot up! HELP!

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forums but I sure hope it is because I extremely need help.

My laptop was working completely fine a week ago! But then, all of a sudden, I turned it on and it went to a black screen with a bunch of numbers and letters. It was asking me to put in the start up CD(?). I had no idea what to do and didn't have the 'start up CD'(whatever that may be..) with me, so I pressed the power button. It turned off and turned back on.

But instead of working normally, it took about ten minutes to start up with about five minutes of that being a black screen with a mouse after putting in my user password. And now every program I have takes forever to open and just everything is extremely slow.

Please help. I really want my old, functional laptop back. :smileysad:

Regular Advisor
eniac

Re: Laptop extremely slow boot up & slow everything after faulty boot up! HELP!

What model number and operating system?

MarkJM

Uh, not exactly sure where to find the model number but operating system is Windows 7.

Frequent Advisor
drev9

The model number is located on the bottom of the laptop on a silver and black sticker.

It sounds like either a virus, or a hard drive issue.  What anti-virus are you running, and how often do you run scans?  What other programs do you run to keep the laptop cleaned up?

eniac

Backup your files. Do you have restore disks?

MarkJM

Satellite C655D-S5200 is the model number.

I used to run AVG but it only went for thirty days. I run Malware Bytes often but other than that, I don't run anything to keep my computer clean. :x Any suggestions on something free?

And I'm not exactly sure what restore disks are, sorry. I'm not very tech-savvy. 

Regular Advisor
eniac

Your best bet is probably contacting Toshiba Tech Support:  (800) 457-7777

The free version of Malwarebytes is just an AV scanner. Sometimes I use it as a second opinion AV scanner. I install it, run it then uninstall it when it's finished. It's advisable to have a reatime AV program. I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, works well, and doesn't slow the system. You can get it HERE free.

Satellite C640/C650 Series User’s Guide

Creating recovery DVDs/media - page 68

Recovering the Internal Storage Drive - page 59

Recovering to out-of-box state - page 61

Backup your files. Create recovery DVD's. Use good quality DVD-R disks. You'll need them to install the software if you have to replace the HD. If you don't make them and the HD fails you'll have to purchase them from Toshiba. They cost about $30.

MarkJM

I ran a full scan with Avast and Malware Bytes. Nothing!

This is ridiculous. I'm afraid if I call the tech center I'm going to have to send my laptop in and that wouldn't bare well. Any other suggestions? :smileysad:

Regular Advisor
eniac

It may come to that but tech support will walk you through recovering and troubleshooting the system.

Create recovery disks - Follow the directions on page 68 - Creating recovery DVDs/media

You'll need them if you have to replace the HD. If you don't have recovery disks and you

have to replace the HD on your own you'll have to purchase recovery disks from Toshiba.

Follow the directions on page 61 - Recovering to out-of-box state.

A system recovery deletes everything on the HD and reinstalls the

systems software to the out-of-box state. Backup your files first. You

will also have to reinstall any software you may have added that wasn't

included with the machine originally. You'll need those disks too.

Recovering the system software will determine if the problem is hardware

or software related. If the problem persists after the software is

reinstalled the HD will probably have to be replaced.