Wheely34

Re: Laptop cooling fan constantly on

Just adding my contribution to the list.  Bought a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5109 having the same fan issue.  Updated the BIOS to the most current version (1.70), and have made every adjustment I can think of to lower the power consumption/CPU usage, but this fan still remains on almost ALL THE TIME...at FULL BLAST.  Doesn't matter if you doing something demanding or not; laptop can just be sitting on a hard, flat surface, idle, and the fan will still kick on and can be easily heard from accross the room.

Has anybody experimented with any fan control software or had any luck at all with feedback from Toshiba?  I bought a second one of these for my sister for school and I am now very reluctant to give it to her becasue I know she will be using this in class.

jcp370

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505-GS5037 laptop with the same problem and have been checking this forum for a fix since I purchased it about 6 months ago. I called the help line and after the tech person couldn't help me, he said he'd escalate the problem and someone higher up would call me. No one ever did.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I will never, under any circumstances, purchase another Toshiba computer.

jdrook

L655D-S5109

Same issue as everybody else is reporting. Fan runs non-stop, even when the machine is idle. Please issue a Bios update!

Sunny430

Hi all, Yesterday I took my laptop back to best buy and explained to them the problem. They testedit  and the fan would not run for a while but then after some light use with explorer the fan went to 90% and stayed at that speed. I showed them this thread online, and they were very cooperative after that and took it back and I chose to get a different model with a pentium instead of AMD. I got the l655 S5096 it had one gig less ram and I believe this pentium is slower than the AMD I had. Anyway, I have now been using it for one hour and no fan noise, it comes on at say 40-50% for 5 seconds every 15 minutes or so. I am not saying this is an AMD issue, just that this particular style of the satellite l655 seems to work fine for now.

Gyaani

I too have a fan problem with the Toshiba L655D-5093 I bought last week. The fan makes lot of noise, which is both embarrassing and annoying. I hardly use the laptop for any heavy duty processing work - just one browser window with a couple of tabs open, and the fan goes on loud and fast. My family can hear it even outside my room.

I hope Toshiba comes out with an update to solve this problem. I had a Toshiba laptop before, used it for 3 years, no problems, it worked fine, but this new laptop is a total failure. It seemed like a good deal when it was offered as a doorbuster deal on Black Friday. Little did I know that it would become a headbuster deal.

Does Toshiba know that we don't have to open our mouths to speak bad about the laptop? We only need to open the laptop in a cafe or library or class or plane and the stares we receive from other people around get directed to the big TOSHIBA label on our laptops. This is definitely hurting business for Toshiba. But I am writing this post not concerned for Toshiba's business but for my laptop's fan issue. 

Tempers are rising, Toshiba, and your constant and loud fan is only adding to the heat, not reducing it.

mcadamik

Just adding my contribution to all the others here. I have a Toshiba Satellite L655D (don't know about the other numbers because I don't know where to find them). I bought it last Monday (a week ago tomorrow) and the fan problem started that afternoon. Tried calling the store (Ultimate Electronics here in Denver) to ask the tech who sold me the machine about this; ended up on hold and gave up after 15 minutes. It wasn't too much of a problem until last night; I decided I was spending too much time on the computer anyway (I'm on it almost all day) so I turned it off and did something else for a half hour. Turned it back on; no more problems - until 70 minutes ago, when the fan went on again. It's been running ever since. So I Googled the problem, and here I am.

As some of you have also done, I've been using Toshiba's PC health monitor to check the temp; it was at 38% when I first checked it and has gone down since then but is now hanging around 35%. The fan has been at 90% since it started. The machine, though, doesn't feel hot, and in fact has never gotten as hot as the HP Pavilion it replaced (which died on me at the tender age of two).

I did find a way to check the BIOS; it says 1.7. I tried following the instructions to set the fan speed but can't find any of those options, possibly because, as someone else said, this machine is running a different version of the system (it's running Windows 7).

What's also puzzling to me is I have it on a cooling mat. Sometimes I have to disconnect it because I don't have enough USB ports to run everything I need, but I haven't had to do that yet today, so the cooling mat fan's been on all day.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to return it. I know the store will charge a restocking fee; I could call and ask them, if I don't mind being on hold for a long time. Mainly here, besides adding to the list of people with fan problems, I'd like to ask a question. What are the potential problems this fan overuse could lead to? Could the fan's motor burn out sooner? Could the motor itself overheat and damage not only the fan but also other components? I know laptops have everything packed in pretty tightly. The noise of course is an issue, but since I work mostly at home by myself I guess I could live with it. I'm also pretty sure if I shut this thing down and wait a bit, when I start it up again the fan will be off. So far I don't think it's done this more than once a day.

It's funny - after almost a week I still haven't loaded any of my data onto it. I had most of it backed up on flash drives, and what wasn't is on an external hard drive that used to be the *internal* hard drive on my HP (the techs at the repair shop pulled it for me). But I just haven't seemed to get around to moving the data onto this hard drive; I wonder if there's a reason for that :smileyhappy: . But returning this machine would be such a hassle even with the little I've done. It's a pain customizing a new computer; I'm really annoyed that I had to do it after only two years, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

I know this is my decision to make, but I would really appreciate any input you all would have, not only on

the potential problems I face if I keep the machine, but also this - If I return the machine, what brand do I look for that might be better quality but still won't cost a ton of money? I'm not working right now, so this is a major expense for me.

I think I'll call Toshiba tomorrow to at least let them know about this, even though it sounds like they won't be able to fix it; I won't send it to them if it won't help. I also want to let the store know, and the people at the repair place where I took the HP; I think they'll appreciate the information. But if you have any more info or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. And thanks for your patience with all my babbling.

Meg

Occasional Contributor
Schnauzer

[ Edited ]

Windows 7 has great capability of managing power consumption, fan speed, etc... However, Toshiba has its own little programs that control all the power management, like eCo utility, Power Saver, TVAP - Value Added Package, etc...

I bought a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5109 a few weeks ago, and I too experienced this fan problem, especially after resuming from sleep, the fan would constantly stay on.

If you go to Power Options, go into the Advanced Option window of changing the power plan, you'll see something called Toshiba Power Saver V.x.x.x  (x are numbers).  This, coupled with the Toshiba x64 ACPI-compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device, are the brains of the fan control.

So what I did is that I completely uninstalled the eCo utility first, then the Toshiba Value Added Package (from the Control Panel --> Programs and Features).

Important:

Toshiba Value Added Package contains the utility which allows you to use the FN function keys (to control display brightness, etc etc)... so if your FN keys don't work after this procedure, re-install TVAP, but using the Custom mode and install only what you need.

Then I went into the Device Manager, selected to show hidden devices, and under the System Devices category I unsintalled Toshiba x64 ACPI-compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device.

Most of us have Windows Update enabled and set to automatic...and as we all know, Windows Update can also get device drivers. So, if you let Windows Update to re-install the ACPI driver, it will locate an OLD version, from 2007. I don't know why Microsoft has this on their servers, but the Toshiba web-site has the newer version. So what I am trying to say is that don't let Windows Update install the ACPI driver, you'll do this soon.

I restarted, and to confirm that these Toshiba programs were gone, I checked once again in the Power Options (Advanced Settings), and tried to see if Toshiba Power Saver V.x.x. showed up. It wasn't there anymore. So I scrolled down a little, and under the Processor Power Management category, there are:

Minimum Processor State

System Cooling Policy

Maximum Processor State. 

I set cooling method to "Active" when plugged in.

Next, I went back into Device Manager, and saw that Windows found the ACPI device ,but the driver was missing (because I uninstalled it).

So to get the new driver (2009), I downloaded the new Toshiba Value Added Package from the support.Toshiba.com. When you double-click on the Extractor, make sure you go into "Options" and uncheck the "Run" command. This will prevent Setup from automatically launching after the files are extracted. Once the files are extracted (pick a location, usually the default location in the C:\...\Temp folder is fine), go back into the Device Manager and search for the Driver for the unknown ACPI Driver in the folder where you extracted the files. Windows should then tell you that it found the driver and it should instal it.

Restart and go back into the Device Manager, and enable viewing hidden devices, and check the driver version of "Toshiba x64 ACPI-compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device"...should be year 2009.

And that's it. :smileywink:

This let's WINDOWS 7 manage the fan, and not Toshiba utilities/programs.

My specs:

------------------------------------------

Toshiba L655D-S5109

BIOS is 1.70

Windows 7 64-bit

Balanced Power plan

------------------------------------------

I checked the fan control after sleep/hibernation, and it runs at 50% power when the temperature is around 50 Celsius. The fan also turned off when the computer was idle ( <4% CPU usage temperature around 45 Celsius)

---------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, I had difficulties uninstalling the eCo utlity and the Toshiba Value Added Package. When I ran the uninstall for the eCo Utility from Control Panel --> Programs and Features, windows said that the program did not uninstall correctly. After a restart, eCo Utility was still showing up as an Installed Program. I resorted to Revo Uninstaller, which did a pretty good job. Also, when I tried uninstalling the Value Added Package, Setup did not give me the option of "Remove." After I was able to successfuly uninstall eCo utility, it's interesting that when I ran the uninstall for the Value Added Package, the "Remove" option became available in Setup.

Anyway, just pay attention those notes, it's possible that I am the only one with the uninstall problem...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Contributor
Schnauzer

It's been several days now since I have done the process that I have outline above, and my fan is happy again :smileyhappy:

After using sleep/hibernation several times, the fan properly cycles. When I have internet explorer/firefox open, and maybe some other programs, then the fan comes on very slightly (about 40% power, CPU temp around 49 Celsius), and will eventually stop. If I start doing to CPU crunching, like anti-virus scanning, and watching movie, then the fan also properly kicks in at a faster speed.

The fan also cycles properly even if I don't use sleep/hibernation.

If anybody else has gone through the steps I talked about above, please let us know of your fan situation

Thanks!

Occasional Contributor
cooldoctor1

Bobble: thanks for posting about your experiences as a retailer of Toshibas and the changes you are making to your business because of this hideous error on the part of Toshiba in not fixing the software error.  It would seem, just as you’ve so well stated, that it’d be in Toshiba’s best interest also to fix this ASAP so that their shipping and tech depts stop being overwhelmed by “defective” laptops that really aren’t defective in any way other than the software. 

Schnauzer: that is super of you to post a detailed description of how you fixed the issue, including screenshots.  I have no doubt that will help many on here.  You have clearly shown that the “fix” from Toshiba’s standpoint is so simple it’s mindboggling—just eliminate, with a BIOS update, the Toshiba fan utility and let MS Windows 7 operate the fan precisely and with success.

As others have written, the fan is beyond annoying, it is intolerable in any setting that is even borderline quiet (i.e. library, office cubicle, airplane, bus, etc.).  Plus it will wear out the plastic fan with tiny spindle prematurely.

I have now had some success with speedfan.com and the free download.  I cannot be worried about warranty issues when the computer is nonfunctional in the office setting for which it was purchased without trying everything to fix what Toshiba refuses to acknowledge as a problem.  Speedfan does require some tweaking, under Options, to get it adjusted properly for my L645, but with some trial and error, it seems to work now and calms the Tazmanian Devil that is the cooling fan.  The fan still goes to 90% at times, even when the CPU is cool, but if I sleep the computer and then start it again immediately, it seems to stay down.  The temps on CPU, as assessed by Speedfan itself, range from 118F to about 142F, but never have I had an issue with overheating causing noticeably reduced clocking or safety shut downs or anything.  My brither has an HP that runs 190F on Speedfan, so I’m good with my temps.  Average is 124F or so. 

Shameful that this thread would be necessary, or that Toshiba seems to view the L640-L655 laptops as **bleep** stepchildren. 

Occasional Contributor
TheIrishKid

Finally, after sending my "new" L655D back to the repair center 2X amd they had it for almost a month the last time -- the cooling fan operates like it should.  Goes on for about 25 secs. when computer is started and then QUIET until the cpu starts to warm up and even then not 100% speed.  According to Toshiba a new mother board was installed????  Hope it stays this way.

krayne

Just wanted to add that I have the same issues/problems as everyone else. I have the M645-S4048 with Windows 7 64 bit and the Intel I5 processor. I switched from Dell to Toshiba because of consumer reviews and customer service. This thing sounds like a harrier jet on take off. Ive had the laptop for about 4 months now and it has always had this problem. I sent it back to toshiba and they said the fan was blocked so they cleaned it and then claimed it was fixed. Not so, the fan still drives me crazy. Not only is it loud, but it cycles on and off 4-5 times a minute. Never again will I buy another Toshiba laptop or other product. It's really a shame because I have a Toshiba TV, Toshiba portable hard drive and Toshiba digital picture frames. Those all work great, but this laptop has pissed me off so bad that I will not buy from them again. I spend almost $1000 on this laptop and now I have to deal with it for 2-3 years. Will probably return to Dell after this one because it lasted 6 years and served me well.

In the mean time, anyone have suggestions to quiet this thing down?

Occasional Contributor
Schnauzer

[ Edited ]

Couple of new developments.

I have Toshiba HW Setup installed (this basically give you access to the BIOS options from within Windows). The Fan kicked in at maximum RPM, and if I immediately set the USB legacy support to Disabled, then the fan dropped back to 50% power. 

If I re-enable legacy support, the fan kicked back up to 100% power.

Interesting, isn't it ?

Right now I have my USB legacy support disabled, and the fan never reached 100% (CPU stays around 52 Celsius with firefox, virus scanning, DVD)

My current status:

Common Driver from TVAP installed (only this part of TVAP)

Toshiba Power Saver V1.8 NOT installed.

Fan control set to Active via Windows 7

mcadamik

I'm glad some of you have gotten this situation fixed. As for me - I returned the laptop to the store today.

The fan wasn't the only problem; the display was hurting my eyes and some web pages just weren't showing up properly. I changed every setting I could think of, without success. So I called Toshiba's tech support.

I'll say this much. In that very long phone call (almost 50 minutes), the tech did everything he could to help me out on both problems. He had me reset the BIOS to default, which didn't make a difference, but then that's probably where it was the whole time anyway; I have no idea how to change something like that. And after I told him everything I'd done for the display problems, he said that was what he would have suggested. And he apologized more than once for not being able to help me. But when he finally said, "Did you say this was still within the return period?" I made my decision.

It took a while to find a replacement, but finally yesterday I bought a refurbished 2-year-old Dell Latitude. It came with a 120gig hard drive, 2 gigs of RAM, and a 2.1 gHz processor, and cost half of what I paid for the Toshiba. I did lose about $90 because of the restocking fee on the Toshiba, but I'm seeing it as a kind of "rental fee," and added to the cost of the Dell it's still within my budget. And one other good thing - because it's running an older version of Windows - XP - I was able to get my printer working, something I never managed with the Toshiba. I can now get back to that big scanning project that was interrupted when my HP died two and a half weeks ago.

So I guess this is my last post here. Many thanks to everyone for putting up with my long posts, and I hope you all get your problems worked out soon.

Meg

Occasional Contributor
cooldoctor1

Meg: thank you for posting about your discussion with Toshiba about the fan and display issue.  It's meaningful that you took the time to post a follow-up and let everyone know how you resolved your particular situation.  Thank you.

The sadness of your plight is that you should not have had to pay a restocking fee for an issue that was not the retailers, not yours, but Toshibas.  Toshiba had several options in your case, the two best being to refund the restocking fee directly to you, or to have you ship the laptop back to them in pre-paid box and putting your purchase price towards another model of Toshiba.  They offered neither.  Although most of us posting here are no longer in the return period, we are still in the warranty period and Toshiba, if cannot fix, should remedy as suggested above with trade-in.  Toshiba instead prefers to turn back on known problem.  

To the poster that changed out the motherboard with Toshiba (ouch!), I would be curious after you use it for a week or two if the fan issue is truly fixed.  Time will tell.  

My Speedfan.com solution is not ideal.  My fan still runs fast and loud when the CPU is cool (118F) and I sometimes have to put it to Sleep (sometimes 2-3 times in a row) before it'll stay quiet.  Speedfan v 4.42 has to be "on", i.e. the software icon has to be clicked and started for it to work at all, and even then it's sketchy.  But once I fiddle with it, I can get it to stay down indefinitely now.  

Schnauzer, thanks for the Toshiba HW info.  I see the download online, but can't tell if downloading it alone and then dis-enabling the USB as you suggest would be helpful without doing all the other mods first that you mention in your long post.  I'd hate to foul up the Toshiba more than it already is.  You seem to know much more about computers than I do. 

Occasional Contributor
TheIrishKid

I've had the Toshiba L655D back from the repair facility since 12/13 and I was ready to contact them and pretty much tell them where they can put their products.  I noticed very little change in the fan noise until I happened to read what "schnauzer" had written and tried.  Open Toshiba utilities, go to HW Setup, go to the USB tab & click on "disable" .  I also cliked on "Apply".  So far the fan will go to 90% when the Cpu gets warm and stays on for about <5 min. then off.  I haven't the foggyest idea what happens during this HWSetup app.

krayne

Schnauzer, I followed your steps but my fan is still just as annoying.... any tips?

My Toshiba x64 ACPI compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device has a driver date of 7/14/2009 and its version 2.0.0.3

I followed all your steps except

"go back into the Device Manager and search for the Driver for the unknown ACPI Driver in the folder where you extracted the files. Windows should then tell you that it found the driver and it should instal it."

I was not able to figure out how to go in the DM and search for the driver so I just ran it after I installed it. Also, my cooling method was already set to active on my laptop. If it makes a difference, my laptop is the M645

krayne

Also, if I install the 1.5 BIOS update....could that help anything?

Occasional Contributor
TheIrishKid

Well, for what it's worth, my L655D S5066 was purchased about 8/2010, but wasn't really used until sometime 10/2010 since I was traveling & decided to continue using my "old" 2007 Toshiba Satellite.  Anyhow, I too was aghast by the noise at the first times the L655D was turned on.  Initially I thought it might be the hard drive because the chassis was not hot.  In October, I called Tech Serv and waited until I described the noise to the rep before I turned the computer on with the telephone held near the left rear so he could hear it.  The remark was something like that isn't a normal condition & it should be sent back to the factory repair facility.  The shipping box was sent & the new computer was returned to its maker!   About 10 days later it was returned with "new cooling fan installed'".  No change in the noise level!

Again, call to Tech Serv. (and BTW, it helps to have a telephone with speaker availability) and again off to the repair facility on 11/10.  After no mention of when the unit would be returned, I finally received a notice that "parts were on backorder & please be patient".  It was returned on 12/10 with the work description that a new system board (?) was installed and the BIOS "checked and updated.  So far the cooling fan comes on during the initial startup for about 20-25 sec. then on when needed at about 50% or if the CPU temp exceeds about 41% the fan goes to 90% until the CPU temp drops to 31%.  They have installed BIOS 1.7 9/9/10 and EC version 1.5 (whatever that is).  I have also been told that the AMD cpu generates more heat than a comparable Intel cpu??

Hope all this helps, but I'm disgusted with Toshiba at this point. 

argam

It is clearly the software pointed out in the last posts. I have installed Ubuntu in a new partition and I don't have any problem with the fan when using this operative system...  shame on Toshiba.

moonlightturtle

Okay, this is ridiculous.  Does anyone know how I can contact Toshiba to complain?  We need to complain enough to them directly that they'll put in the tiny amount of effort it would take to fix this.  I have a Satellite L655D-S5066 laptop.  It runs great, but the fan is unacceptable.  I can't use the thing anywhere as a student because it's so loud.  Even at home, my family members in other rooms complain!  The worst part is, I'm not even running anything intensive.  Even if I only have Word open, it sounds like it's about the take off.  I had a much cheaper Compaq laptop before this, and it was quiet, even when I was compiling videos, so this toshiba is just ridiculous.  I sent it in to the repair center.  What a joke.  They just reimaged it and sent it back.  No change.  So, the tech support line is useless because they just tell you to send it in for them to "fix".  They need to release a new BIOS that fixes the fan regulation.  As I am typing this, the fan is running louder than my room's stereo, and it has been running like this for about 2 hours (no lie) even with a cooling pad beneath it.  It never gets hot, but the fan kicks on 100% speed anyways!  Ugh.  Can somebody tell me how to complain to Toshiba?  This NEEDS to be fixed!  I'm going to college next year, and since I bought this a few months ago (so the return period is long over) and I can't afford another computer for school, I'm stuck with this one for the next couple years.  I did not pay $500 for a mini, laptop-shaped airplane that can't fly!