Distressed

Laptop L755 dead after bios install attempt...

Laptop L755-S5244 - just got it home last week and Toshiba pushes two updates to this new box:

- Toshiba Service Station 2.2.9

- ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.00 for Satellite/Pro L655/L750/L755

The "Service Station" install went well.  The BIOS download appeared to CRC verify well; I had the laptop on wall power, so I allowed it to continue with the install.  At the completion of the install procedure, I see a "VERIFY ERROR" displayed and the machine hung for what seemed a long time.  I rebooted the box to a black screen; no access to the usual F2 or F12, etc. options; no way to restore the bios to factory defaults!  All I could hear was a revving up/down of the fans in a loop -- it sounded like "breathing".  Spooky.

Today, I'm going back to Staples for another one.  This time, no BIOS install!  Could this be due to the BIOS being a ".00" version?  Are there any other recovery options when your machine can't even get to the bios options screen?

BIOS Beware!

heyjames

Re: Laptop L755 dead after bios install attempt...

I just had exactly the same thing happen to the same model laptop.same pulsing of the fans and black screen and everything.

Tech support wasn't too helpful, but luckily I was within the 14 day exchange period at best buy. should have a new one by mid week. not going to try the bios update this time.

Anybody know what went wrong?

james

jsmithy

[ Edited ]

Just a shot in the dark, what antivirus program are/were you using?

JackGibson

Flash the bios and start again? Or return it.

“Don't find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain”
Henry Ford
cherkey

[ Edited ]

I can't believe Toshiba isn't jumping in on this at all?!  It was their service station that screwed things up.  I'll try to contact Toshiba and see what they have to say about this.  There's too much info on my drive already to just say here ya go give me another one...

I would love to re-flash the bios but who has the tool to do that?  I wonder if Best Buy geeks can do it right in the shop....we'll see...

MCasasol

Happen this yesterday and for what I can see from the forum the only option is to return it or send it for repair.

They haven´t pull the update from the web site or recognize the problem.

No one from Toshiba has face this issue at least on this forum or any other way.

We have been victims of terrible BIOS coding.

The solution is simple from their part, if there is a "VERIFY ERROR" instead of killing the machine leaving it with no BIOS they should undo and fall back to the previous version!

It is amazing that in 2011 we are facing this problem from a company that has so much experience.

Toshiba DO SOMETHING!!!!

preachercliff

YEP!  Happened to me too!  Called Toshiba, got my box, UPS took it yesterday and it was rec'd at the repair depot this morning.  Very nice support so far.  Very helpful.  A very unfortunate situation.  Hope I don't lose all I've added to the harddrive!  Time will tell.  They gave me information where I can keep track of the "status" of my computer.  They have it, but haven't started working on it yet.  They told me on the phone that 7 to 10 working days for the repair and 3 to 5 days on shippings.  So, I figure about 1/2 month of no computer.  But I am thankful that they are taking care of it.  I'll keep you updated.  I'm still going to do the updates I receive from the service station center on my laptop BUT before I hit those buttons, I'm going to check and make sure there are no issues, lol.  GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

heyjames

jsmithy wrote:

Just a shot in the dark, what antivirus program are/were you using?

I was using norton.

smeagol

Had the same thing happen.  I sent it back to Toshiba and they repaired the BIOS, but now my computer will not wake from SLEEP.  Anyboy else have this happen?

Waxime

Same model

Same error

Same Bios update

Same error message

Same black screen and impossible to start the computer again

please remove the bios update, they are defect !!!!!

and add the possibility to restore the bios

Sari0506

so I just went through the same thing.. I called Toshiba customer service and was not helped very much.  The first person I talked to insisted on sending me an email for me to start the return process and didn't understand that I was traveling on a family emergency and had the only computer that was working.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, It was like asking for a star from the sky.  Even better huh?   To finally get the supervisor.  Now he was a nice guy but they can't seem to figure out what went wrong.  When I told him that I have found this forum with people having the SAME problems with the SAME laptop he told me I was wrong and yes the Bios could cause this issue but not on my model.  So I then asked (what would be the common sense question) Why would Toshiba push the update out to everyone if it didn't work?  and I got silence.... hmm I wonder why they can't answer that question!   Wow what an expensive paperweight I now own! 

Occasional Contributor
jann_

On the bright side I'm happy that I'm not alone in this problem, on the down side it looks like we've all been screwed by defective software. I kind of figured I should of spent the extra money on a Sony or a Mac, but you know how it goes... I saw the update thing come up and figured I should update this since it was from Toshiba, and I got the same prompts as everyone else. Then, I went to reboot my computer for the update to take place I also got the black screen, and the breathing fan lol. Getting ready to call customer service and expect to be without a laptop for at least 14 days because of this garbage. Last time I'm buying a Toshiba product, nothing but trouble.
harlowe

Well let me also chime in with the same bios update issue. Unfortunate didn't read forums before installing update. Now I'm having to wait for box and will be w/o computer until returned. About to pull the plug on this heavy
breathing,blank screened computer!
Occasional Contributor
jann_

Ya, just pull the plug it won't work. I left mine on for 3+ hours and came back to the black screen and heavy breathing laptop. I'm really bothered by the fact that this was software from Toshiba, and it caused their product to die! I feel like more people should be on top of this issue even if it is a limited problem. At least take the update off of the Toshiba System Update...
swtambrosia

Im going to guess that this is my problem as well. L755 s5216 that i bought in july/august andnever had an issue til today.boyfriend claims all he did was open laptop and was already stuck w nothing on screen. i am now noticing the very odd fan revving. Guess ill call for my box now...
BriCW

Will I am another victim.  Got the BIOS update just the other day and not it's the black screen and breathing fan. Totally dead.  Still under warranty.  I sent it off for repair just a couple of days ago  When I called Toshiba Tech. Support they couldn't give me an answer as to why they sent out this BIOS update.  They wouldn't even pay for shippiing, said your warranty doesn't cover shipping.  I'll let everyone know what my laptop is like when it gets shipped back

Donhuynh

I had the same problem too. i wonder how many people  have ran into the problem. i just had an exchange one from the officemax. the new one has the message from Toshiba service station for BIOS update again but i am not going to do this. i think Toshiba need to do something with it .

GemoNeutrino

[ Edited ]

Same. The laptop is 6 months old and Tech told me they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Is this true? Has anyone gotten their repaired laptop back yet? First laptop and last Toshiba product.

aldavila1

Wish I'd read all the comments on this forum before accepting the push from Toshiba to update my BIOS! I SOOOOO regret it! I am flabberghasted that Toshiba has not removed this BIOS push if it has caused motherboard failure to so many users! I am now the next victim of the "VERIFY ERROR" and dead laptop. I purchased my laptop back at the beginning of December of 2011, so it is under warranty. I now need to mail my laptop into Toshiba to have a new motherboard installed! Words cannot express how friggin ticked off I am!!!!!!! :smileymad: :womanmad:

If you are wise enough to come to this forum before installing that BIOS update, then BEWARE...DON'T do it!!

smeagol

Luckily I was under warranty, but was without my NEW laptop for about a month.  Since I've had it back SLEEP MODE has not worked.  Toshiba told me to reinstall windows.  I don't see this as the answer, as everything else works.  I also am not sure I trust them and I don't want to waste a day reloading it and all my other files and software. 

Now a new BIOS update is available and I would like to load it, hoping to fix my SLEEP MODE issue, but I am afraid I will have another failure and be without a computer again.

I may try them again to ask them about this or another way to flash the bios and make sure I am still under warranty if it doesn't work.  Anyone else get any where on the phone with Toshiba?  I'll tell you one thing, it's the first and last Toshiba I'll purchase.