coco

LAPTOP KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN

I have a L555D-S7909 laptop that keeps shutting down after about an hour of use.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: LAPTOP KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN

have you tried cleaning it. cleaning notebook vents

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
coco

How do I clean the vents? Or is their a place I can go to, to obtain the how to instructions?

Thanks for your help!

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

click on the blue link in my last post

-civicman4-
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
WillyR

I have the same computer as you but I have AMD (I'm guessing yours is intel). Anyway, ended up happening to me and I sent it in. So far they have replaced the system board, hard drive and CPU and it's still not working. :smileyvery-happy:

good luck

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

it is an L555D. so it would also have an amd processor.

-civicman4-
WillyR

[ Edited ]

There we go then, the depot found the problem to be with the CPU. Hopefully I was just a once off and all you have to do is clean your vents.

Good luck :smileyhappy:

coco

Hi,

I just wanted to know if you are still having problems with shutdown since the CPU was repaired?  I will have to send mine in because it still shutting down when it gets ready.

coco

Toshiba, thinks that its my CPU sending laptop in for repairs, will give an update once computer returned to me.

DJSL555D

Did you get your machine back yet?

How is it working?

I have a S7930 purchased in January 2010 that shuts down like crazy. The last time the machine was only on for 6 minutes.

I don't understand why this is a problem. My daughter had a Dell laptop at college for 4 years without it ever shutting down on its own.

mappleby

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930. I started having the same problem about a year after I got it. When looking into it, I saw the the fan vent was clogged up with dust and cleaned it out. I cleaned and replaced the heat sink compound on the CPU and Video Chip. I also updated the BIOS. It still has issues. I do know that is an overheating issue. If I set it up on its side and place a floor fan next to it (blowing into the vents on the bottom), it remains on. If I boot it up without the floor fan blowing on it, it stays on for a minute. It then shuts off (I think) right after the cooling fan shuts off.

mappleby

As far as I know Dells don't have a video processor. The Toshiba L555 does. The L555 has a heat sink on both the CPU and the Video Processor. I'm guessing that the Toshiba puts out more heat the your daughter's Dell.