TheBreeze

Re: L7555 Satellite CD/DVD drive Noise

I shut down all Toshiba services and processes last night and uninstalled Norton. I haven't noticed the noise all day. I may try to selectively re-enable the ones I think I may need, but honestly I don't believe I need any of them.
Titus

I'm having the same problem too with an L755-S5308.    Which apps did you disable/uninstall?

Any help would be helpful.

Titus

TheBreeze

[ Edited ]

So far all I've actually uninstalled is the Norton App using Revo Uninstaller. I had expected to have more problems getting rid of it as I've heard Symantec stuff is difficult to completely remove. This is used by the "Toshiba Laptop Checkup". This however is not the problem as I still had the noise after uninstalling. I didn't want it anyway. After this and after trying to disable Toshiba apps one at a time, I decided to just stop all running Toshiba services in service.msc and then stop the couple remaining Toshiba processes in Task Manager. I haven't actually disabled anything yet, they will all be back with a reboot. I just wanted to be sure there was nothing there I needed, which I'm pretty sure there isn't. Been a good 36 hours now and no empty drive access, so one of these seemingly useless (to me anyway) Toshiba apps seems to be the culprit.

Niel

We also bought Satellite L755-S5308 just a week ago. However, we found unusual cluttering sound on the DVD drive. Does someone have a solution to remove the sound? It is quite very annoying now. Has someone returned their laptop?

Niel

Was there any actions made by Toshiba?

acmatunl

TheBreeze

Are you planning on testing the processes one by one to see which seems to be the problem? If so, please keep us updated!

By the way, as others may have mentioned, I have a CD in the disc drive right now and haven't heard the click in hours. By no means is this an acceptable solution, but if TheBreeze can pin the problem to some useless Toshiba process, that might be my top choice in leiu of mailing my laptop in to Toshiba. :smileyindifferent:

TheBreeze

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've been restarting services one at a time and as soon as I restarted TPCH Service (Toshiba PC Health Monitor), the empty drive was accessed immediately, then again 10 minutes later.  There are 2 processes in Task Manager running for this service.  If you stop this service it is set to "manual startup" in Services.msc so it might be being started by one of the other automatic processes.  Before you disable startup of this service run the GUI that is supported by this service from the start menu in the Toshiba folder to see what you will be missing by disabling it.  Not much that I need, I use "Core Temp" and "Speed Fan" to monitor HD & CPU temps and loads and they're displayed in the tray.  Don't be afraid to experiment with simply stopping any of these Toshiba services, if you don't disable them, just restart them or reboot.  If you do disable them be sure to make a note of the startup type (automatic, manual or automatic(delayed start)) in case you need to reenable them later.  In the time I've typed this the drive has been accessed twice more.

acmatunl

Thanks again, Breeze. 

I disabled the TPCH service as well and have not heard the click for hours (usually I would hear it every 10 minutes or so), so I think you nailed it on the head. 

HOWEVER, I just inserted a flash drive and the click sounded again when the autoplay feature kicked in. I replicated it a second time! However, it hasn't clicked since. Strange. 

I guess disabling the TPCH gets rid of the random clicks but not completely. 

kkonline

[Solved]Re: L7555 Satellite CD/DVD drive Noise

Hi all,

I have now figured out the root cause for this issue and it's not related to the hardware or the cdrom or the antivirus  but associated with the Toshiba Health Monitor Application Process or more precisely the TPCHSrv service.

Basically when the system is started the process "TPCHSrv.exe" starts and it performs a check on cdrom after every interval of 10 minutes causing the devise to mount and hence causes the annoying clutter sound.

The solution is simple either uninstall the Toshiba Health Monitor Application from control panel or incase you wish to keep TPCH Service by running msconfig.cfg.

The issue should be solved.

To confirm the solution you can open the health monitor and the sound will be heard soon once it switch as enabled or on, but if you kill the process Alt+Cntl+Del then you don't hear the sound.

.Attached is the snapshot of the process and it's description

Regular Advisor
eniac

Re: [Solved]Re: L7555 Satellite CD/DVD drive Noise

[ Edited ]

Good job.

It was one of the first things I disabled using MSCONFIG when I bought the machine.

You can still use it manually from the start menu if you want to.

customfit

I have an L755-S5365 from OfficMax that also makes the CD drive noise every 10 minutes.  They have a weird return policy that I didn't want to have to hassle with, so I was hoping for an easy fix.  I opened msconfig from the start menu and disabled TCPH as suggested above and am happy that the CD drive noise stopped.  I called Toshiba Support when I first heard the noise last weekend, and the guy had me go to Toshiba's support site and download two CD drive driver updates, but that didn't do anything.  It is crazy how something so little can be so annoying.  I would think Toshiba would eventually update TCPH so it doesn't cause this noise anymore as I'm sure more people will complain.  I'm glad I found this forum for an easy fix.

d1carter

I uninstalled "Toshiba PC Health Monitor" and the optical drive click has not returned...

Peter

Thanks for the great information! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

- Peter
chuckcheeze

i uninstalled a lot of the toshiba apps (like PC health) and no more clicking

Peri23

I wanted to thank you for posting this fix. The noise was driving me crazy and I was debating on just returning my laptop and getting  a another one from a different manufacture. I like the laptop (Satellite L755 S5308) and got a great deal on it on Cyber Monday, but the noise was getting on my last nerve. I search on the internet and this is a recurring problem and people have called Toshiba support with no results.  I decided to search the Toshiba forum and wala someone with the same problem, and with it a solution. Again thank you. Toshiba needs to tighten up.

cdg010

Yea i'm having that same problem!!! I had the 14 inch one then i have the 15.6 inch one now. They both make this noise in the cd/dvd driver and I dont kno why. It's so annoying because you want everything to run fine.

cdg010

alright thanks that helped so much!! Thanks KK Toshiba needs to tell us about this stuff

BEREAL22

Thank you for that advise it worked, I was on my 3rd laptop because of that noise. The sales associate told me that I would not be able to exchange or return it because their system will recognize that it is an habitual return/exchange. So thank you...... No noise

speede

Have a new 750 same problem, just disabled it, also disabled the camera incase someone was looking.

jason61

My 755 does the exact thing...like just after you close the drive..."click- click". I already returned one L755 with this issue. Now the latest one has it too. I know this is not normal...not even touching the laptop using wireless mouse.