anuragm
Accepted Solution

L7555 Satellite CD/DVD drive Noise

I have a L755-S5306 Toshiba Satellite bought sometime last week.

The CD/DVD drive makes random clicking noises while surfing internet or pretty much doing anything else. The noise is similar to the clicking noise the cd/dvd makes during power up.There is no cd/dvd inserted in the drive. There is no foreign object or loose part in the drive which can make that noise.

Could this be due to a defective optical drive? Such kind of issue is unheard of. I have used dells, hps for the last 4 years and never had such a problem. I bought it for the build quality,specs and the attractive price point it offered.

What could be the issue in this case? Any pointers are appreciated.

anuragm

Re: L7555 Satellite CD/DVD drive Noise

The dvd noise is repeating approx 10 mins and everytime that happens, the LEDs on the cd/dvd drive turn on briefly. It is as if the drive is being powered up every 10 mins or so. Is there anyone with a similiar issue?

Occasional Contributor
camey1

Hi,

Try this website, it is Gur.in, I lost my cd drive and there's a link they have which fixed it.  I'm not sure if it willfix your issue, but it's worth a try, could be a simple registry fix.

http://gur.in/

It's really a good site.  Good Luck!   Camey1

anuragm

does this mean there is no solution to this problem?.. or just that toshiba doesnt care about their customers? 

Regular Advisor
eniac

[ Edited ]

As far as I know this is a user forum.

Just a wild guess - It could be the AV program.

Disable it temporarily and see if it continues.

bwbtlb

I have the same model l755-s5306 with the same clicking sound from the dvd/cd drive about every 10-15 min. very strange update maybe a firmware update is needed .

anuragm wrote:

The dvd noise is repeating approx 10 mins and everytime that happens, the LEDs on the cd/dvd drive turn on briefly. It is as if the drive is being powered up every 10 mins or so. Is there anyone with a similiar issue?

anuragm

do you know whats the manufacturer of the optical drive?.. the part number shows up as HL-DT-GT DVDRAM GT30N.. there are no driver updates on the toshiba downloads section..

anuragm

the antivirus writes to my disk at around 100-200 Kb per second.. but can antivirus cause disk activity? especially when there is no disk in it

Regular Advisor
eniac

It might be trying to scan it. I would first disable my AV

program temporarily to see if it continues. If it does

re-enable it. Then go to device manager, uninstall the

device and reboot the machine. It will reload the driver

when the system boots.

mc_marto

I have the same problem as well guys. I guess Toshiba would need to make a firmware update for the laptop.

sc173

Same problem here too.  Bought  the L755-S5308 yesterday.  It did this before I installed anything.  I tried disabling the antivirus and it still does it.

The noise doesn't really bother me but I'm concerned that this constant checking by the drive will shorten it's life.

kkonline

Hi,

I too purchased L755-S5308 model two days back from a best buy store and face the same issue clutter click noise from the dvd every 10 minutes frequency.

I had called up the Toshiba TechSupport to seek some help on the issue but they suggested it is a hardware issue and cannot be resolved using driver updates.

Incase I don't find anything then I would have no option but to return the laptop and exchange it for another brand.

jdbush49

Same here.   Just got my Toshiba L755-S5306 yesterday from Best Buy.   My first new laptop ever.   They presented me with one in an open box which they said was because it had already been "set up" by the "Geek Squad," so would I mind paying the extra $99.99.   I balked at that, so the sales person offered to discount the set up fee to $69.99.    I balked at that also, so she lowered the fee to $29.99 and I went along.    Turned it on this morning and began to hear the clicking sound every 10 minutes.    What do you think?    Should I return the unit?

I was informed I could not get a refund on the $29.99 set up fee.   What a racket.

Regular Advisor
eniac

I wonder if the DVD were disabled in the BIOS would it still continue?

kkonline

Hi all, I was trying to figure out a solution and below are my observations and suggestions: 1> If disable the CDROM then no sound is heard 2> If I uninstall the drivers and reinstall them that doesn't help 3> If a disc is inserted then the sound isn't heard Not to mention at the price 449, with i5 and other specification the looks and comfort it's probably the best I could get. Only problem is with the Drive click and I plan to disable it and enable only when I use it (also my CDROM usage is very limited). The next i5 available is at the starting range of 600, so spending $150-200 just for a click which can be compensated by disabling the drive then that would be my option. Also if you wish you can use a small batch file to disable or enable the drive or use the utility device console or similar utility for easy access. http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe devcon.exe enable *cdrom* devcon.exe disable *cdrom*
kkonline

[ Edited ]

You can use the below script with devcon.exe installed

@echo off
start /d "C:\Users\name\Desktop" devcon.exe enable *cdrom* > disable.cmd

save this by name something like disable_cd.bat and right click and execute it

Nom
Nom

Even I am facing the same problem. Bought  L755-S5308 from Best Buy yesterday for $449. As per kkonline's suggestion I disabled it, but I did it from the control panel. Will enable it when I need it. The shift key also makes a different kind of sound when pressed on my laptop. Don't know why. Hope I don't fine any more problems in this.   

Nom
Nom

Hope Toshiba comes out with a solution for this :smileysad:

TheBreeze

Same exact problem here as described above. I bought mine at Best Buy about a week ago. I've been trying shutting down Toshiba services one at a time but still haven't been able to figure it out. Hope they will take care of this.
acmatunl

Same problem here with an L755-S5306 - just got it yesterday! I recorded the sound and uploaded it to the following link. This file is about 2 seconds long. First you hear the whirring of the computer turning on, then the click. 

Is this what it sounds like to you guys as well? 

http://tindeck.com/listen/uehm

Let's keep each other updated.