yankeekd25

L655 Randomly Locks Up- Can't Use Keyboard or Mouse and must force restart laptop

Why is this happening? Every so often, my laptop will lock up and I am not able to use the keyboard or mouse. The only "fix" is forcing a reboot. Does anyone have any ideas how to diagnose and correct the cause of this problem?
Peter

Re: L655 Randomly Locks Up- Can't Use Keyboard or Mouse and must force restart laptop

What model is your notebook? "L655" is only partial. There should be a label on the bottom.

What OS are you using? What were you doing when it locked up?

- Peter
yankeekd25

Re: L655 Randomly Locks Up- Can't Use Keyboard or Mouse and must force restart laptop

L655-S5106.

I was either typing up a Word document or just normally browsing the Internet when it locked up each of the 2 times its happened.

Peter

Try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue if an applicable restore point exists.

You could also try booting into Safe Mode to see if it happens there. If it doesn't, boot back into normal mode and let's try setting up a clean boot. Search for "msconfig" in the Start Menu and run it.

Under the "General" tab, change to "Diagnostic startup," reboot, and try it for a while. If that works, change it back to "Normal startup," then go to the "Startup" tab and try disabling half of them before rebooting and trying it for a while again.

If the problem arises, you know one of the one's selected could be causing it. Then eliminate another half. If it doesn't happen, try checking another half of the remaining. This can help you to determine what's causing the problem if it is indeed software.

On the other hand, if it's happening very infrequently you're not going to be able to adequately determine whether it's not happening because the problem isn't present or whether it just hasn't happened yet.

- Peter
yankeekd25

This has been happening still. It is very inconvenient and I do not know how to fix it. Like you said, it's hard to diagnose because it does happen so infrequently. Any ideas?
Peter

If it happens too infrequently to really diagnose, the only option I see is to do a complete recovery, which wipes your data from the computer completely and returns the computer to factory conditions. This will either fix it or show that it needs to be serviced.

- Peter
yankeekd25

I tested the computer with Toshiba's built in diagnostics, and it said that the Hard Disk Drive failed. Next step?

Peter

At this point, you should contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter