RonInCA

L455 Won't Start

My wife's Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 won't start.  The battery and AC LEDs are green, when I power it on, the power on LED comes on for a few seconds, the fan spins up for a second and I hear the DVD make a noise, then it dies.  The Hard Drive LED never comes on and there is no life on the screen.  No other LEDs come on.  I unplugged the battery and held the power button for 60 seconds.  Then tried again - same thing.  Happens every time.  

The left touch pad button was also broken, which I fixed when I took it apart, but it still won't start up.

My son has the same laptop, so I swapped the hard drive, keyboard.  Both of these are fine.  Any ideas what's wrong?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: L455 Won't Start

[ Edited ]

Satellite L455-S5975 Specifications

Satellite L455-S5975 Downloads

RonInCA wrote:...The left touch pad button was also broken, which I fixed when I took it apart, but it still won't start up....My son has the same laptop, so I swapped the hard drive, keyboard.  Both of these are fine.  Any ideas what's wrong?

What's some background or history to this problem? Besides the touch pad button, were there any other problems prior to your wife's unit not being able to start? Had you or your wife done any BIOS updates, Windows Updates, installed any new software, crashed the computer, etc?

Sorry for being picky on the details. But, how do you know the left touch pad button now works if it won't start? Did you dismantle the unit to fix this problem before or after this problem developed? When you swapped the hard drives & keyboards, your wife's hard drive & keyboard worked ok in your son's machine, but your son's keyboard & hard drive would still not allow your wife's unit to boot?

Let's try a proper system reset again. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, if you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then try to boot into Windows. What exactly happens, how far do you get with this procedure, at what point does it fail, if it fails?

Please let us know what happens and/or get back to us with the above info. If you need to post back here again, please confirm if you're still running the Win7 32bit edition the system came with. Good luck.

Mike

RonInCA

She had complained about it getting hot on occasions before.  She had performed no software updates, as far as I know.

I have already tried the reset several times and never get to the Toshiba logo.

You're right about the button, I don't know that it is working.  I only assumed that since it makes a click when I press the button and click when I release it, just like the right button.

glimlet

my computer is the same as this posted somewhere else about this, mine is doing the exact same thing, as this one........I can hear a difference in the way mine is starting up, my issues began on Friday 4/6/12. I discovered the sound difference upon start up by placing my ear against the bottow, but when I shut down tonight I plan on trying removing the battery and pushing the button in, mine seems not to be picking up a vital part of restart, it took an hour today to get it up and going

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

RonInCA

Try starting it on battery power only. Any difference? Try removing the battery and starting it on the AC/DC power supply only. Does that help?

No? Power off the unit, unplug the AC & remove the battery, remove both RAM modules, replace one RAM module in a different slot, replace battery & AC, try to boot up again. Repeat this process until you have tried each RAM module alone in each slot.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

RonInCA

Starting with battery only or AC only are same as with both.  I also tried with my son's power cord.

I only have one memory card which I moved it to the other slot, no difference.  I then tried the memory card in my son's laptop and it works fine.

There was a slight variation when trying to power up.  Sometimes the fan will startup a second time for a brief second.  It's as if just as it's about to go full power it gives up.  This variation is due to retries in the same configuration and not from changing things.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ron 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

It sounds like it may be a corrupt BIOS. If it is, it's tricky to overcome, but certainly not impossible.

BIOS Recovery procedures

Or, you may want to break down and pay for an hour of labor to get a diagnostic done.

Locate a Service Center

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

RonInCA

I tried making a BIOS update CD (and USB stick) but the computer doesn't stay alive long enough to recognize the CD.  

I have decided that my wife's laptop is now going to be spare parts for my son's laptop.

Thanks again for your efforts

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome. I only wish I could've been more help. Thanks for letting us know.

Mike