friendly_member
Accepted Solution

Intel finds errors in Sandy Bridge chipset

I just saw this announcement that Intel has found design flaws in the new Sandy Bridge chipset and it looks like there will be a recall. I just bought a Satellite A660 with the i7-2630qm which has the Intel 6 series chipset in question. What a disappointment! I guess that's the risk you take when you buy new technology. I hope Toshiba will fix this for those who already have this processor. I was thinking about returning this model anyway and now I really want to get rid of it.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

Re: Intel finds errors in Sandy Bridge chipset

I would return it if possible.  I just recived my 8102 Qosmio today with the i7 SB, via UPS.  I did not even open it, I immediately returned it to Costco.

If you can't get a refund/return, Intel has stated in a news release that Intel WILL PAY to have the motherboards swaped on any SB laptop.  However, you'll have to send it into Toshiba (once they get the new mobos) and will probably take at least 4 weeks.

Good luck

========================================================
QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
i7-2630QM , GTX 460m , 18.4" screen @ 1680x945p
gwb62

[ Edited ]

So is a Qosmio x505-Q8104 affected?

Regular Advisor
alexuw

ALL SANDY BRIDGE COMPUTERS are affected; Desktops AND laptops.  So if your i7 chip is followed by 4 numbers (ex: 2630), then you have a Sandy Bridge laptop (Qosmios: 8100, 8102, 8104)

It doesn't matter the manufacterur (Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc..), they are ALL affected.  It's not a CPU problem, but a motherboard problem (specifically chipset - Couger Point).

Like I said, Intel did say they will pay to have motherboards fixed (if your unable to return).

But new mobos not expected for at least a month.

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
friendly_member

Toshiba responded already and posted a message on the support bulletins page. I have to say that their response was very quick. I got an email yesterday. It's not Toshiba's fault and they have responded quickly so cheers to them. The problem is with the Intel 6 chipset.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

More details for US customers on affected Toshiba models here: http://kb.toshiba.com/98083448

Jim

sparkedfire

While interesting, these laptops may be fine.  My biggest question is what ports do the Toshiba motherboards use?  If the Hard drive and optical drive only use ports 0 and 1, which this appears to be the case, then there is really no need to recall the laptops and would save some people some hassle.  Is there any way we can find an answer to this?

mustangmike53

I'm working this same angle - the latest from CNET says:

The issue affects SATA ports 2 through 5, not ports 0 and 1. Therefore, some laptops, which use only those two "good" ports, for example, would not be affected, according to Intel. In more technical terms, the affected ports 2 through 5 are 3 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) SATA 2 ports. The "good" (0 and 1) ports are 6Gbps SATA 3 ports. In a small percentage of systems performance degradation may occur on the "bad" ports.

link>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030920-64.html?tag=mncol;txt

So, I'd like to be able to find out which ports my HDD and DVD are using, and if they can be switched if necessary.  I'm not sure where to find the answers to those questions...
sparkedfire

I too want to know if I DON'T have to return my laptop.  I need to know now.  Can someone at toshiba please find some information on the motherboard to let us know.

mustangmike53

Jim, thanks for posting the link to Toshiba's announcement.  Please keep us posted on any other official announcements (or semi-official rumors, if you know of any) regarding the recall.  There is currently only one option (return for refund) that, while fine for some, is not the optimum solution for others.  I'd like to know if Toshiba is considering any exchange or repair options after updated motherboards are available. 

Thanks!

Mike

Administrator
jim

Mike and sparkedfire,

We regret the inconvenience to those who would prefer to keep their laptops, but there are no repair or exchange options for these models.  All are known to be defective and should be returned to the place of purchase for a refund. 

Jim

mustangmike53

Thanks for the response, Jim, but I'd like to register my disappointment with Toshiba's decision.  I *like* my new Satellite and I'd much prefer to get it fixed.  I'd like to point out that a certain competitor (rhymes with 'bell') is offering a refund, replace, or repair three-option solution.  Toshiba's one size fits all solution, which really only benefits Toshiba and not their customers, looks pretty poor by comparison.  I hope Toshiba reconsiders.

Mike

Administrator
jim

Hi Mike,

Your voice has been registered.  Thanks for the feedback.

Jim

dmerrill

Have to agree with Mike.  It's extremely disappointing.  And for me it's also going to be a little expensive to return the thing.  You see I downloaded some software and the company that I brought it from isn't really interested in the fact that I have to return the laptop. One download only.

Toshiba customer service offered no help.  Mostly it was 'sorry about your luck' and take it up with Intel.  It's a shame, I really liked this laptop.

Deb 

Matheus2020

Does this affects the i5-2410?

sunnyhill

We've had a new R835-P56X (I5-2410) for two weeks and I've been unable to verify that the chipset is okay. Everything I try tells me it is the old chipset with B2 stepping or revision 4 - the new one should report B3 stepping or rev 5. A Toshiba support bulletin - 98083448 - dated 3/28 does not list the R835 as one of the affected models.

Regular Advisor
alexuw

[ Edited ]

The "X" at the end of the complete model name [ R835-P56X ] indicates it has the FIXED Sandy Bridge revision.

If you search around, you'll find that the 3rd party "CPU and Motherboard information" programs have NOT been reliable in determining if it has a fixed chipset.

Some of it has to due with the BIOS (BIOS displays B2 even though B3), or Windows; some have reported systems displayign B3 after updating to Win7 SP1.

However, like I said, if it has the "X" at the end of the model name, your good.  :smileyhappy:

BTW: I own a Qosmio q8102X [which was called the q8102 before the recall].

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
chriswagdog

Great! I just bought a used one with this chipset. I'm bringing this thing back to who I bought it from. :smileysad:

Regular Advisor
alexuw

Ummmm........  This recall was issued 6 months ago and has since been addressed and fixed.  Most of the affected laptops were not even sold to the public; problem caught winthin 2 weeks of Sandy Bridge being offered for sale.  Again, this was NOT a Toshiba problem, but an Intel problem that affected all manufacturers: Dell, HP, Toshiba, ACER, ASUS, etc....

If your model has the "X" at the end of the name, then it's fixed and will not be affected by the issue.

Good luck

QOSMIO - x505 q8102X
SatelliteA665Us

Guess that explains the model number of the machine I just bought (A665-S5199X).  A previous Toshiba Satellite had only 5 characters in the second part of the model (U405D-S2852) so I was wondering.