Seaberry
Accepted Solution

How to solve this "Warning 0251:System CMOS Check sum bad Default config useed"

Hi I browsed the Laptop forums, I do not find an answer.  I have Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334.  I recently want to update from XP-Media center to Vista Enterpris.  I look at Toshiba support web site, I down load the BIOS

ACPI Flash BIOS version 6.00 for Tecra A7 (Intel) (PTA70U).  I create the bootable CD.  After the BIOS updated, at the end will have this message:  1. Warning 0251:smileyfrustrated:ystem CMOS Check sum bad Default config useed.  2. System BIOS Shadowed.  3. Video Bios Showed  4. No TPM or TMP has problem.  I do not add any hardware, just want to install the new OS.  Now the notebook wont boot up.  Can any expert help me.  Thank you very much.  -Seaberry

Wags14

Re: How to solve this "Warning 0251:System CMOS Check sum bad Default config useed"

[ Edited ]

I received the same message error when I upgraded my Bios. It gave 2 options, Load Default or Setup. I went into the Bios and just Saved the changes (F10).

I did notice that during the install of the update, the system did go on Battery power. 

I'm not sure if this will help you.

Message Edited by Wags14 on 02-16-2009 05:23 PM
Seaberry

Re: How to solve this "Warning 0251:System CMOS Check sum bad Default config useed"

[ Edited ]
Hi Wags14, Thank you for your reply.  I tried several times, I am still getting the same error message.  I read some post says if The CMOS check sum bad, need to replace the battery.  If I continue to boot the notebook I am getting these errors: 1. PXE-E61: Media test failure. Check cable. 2. PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent. Operating System not found.  Before I update the BIOS from 2.0 to 6.0 [I got this from Toshiba Download site] the OS was running fine. I do not have the service menu.  I am not sure how to open the Chassis to get to CMOS battery.  Does any one know where I can get a service menu? Thank you in advance.  -Seaberry
Message Edited by Seaberry on 02-16-2009 11:09 PM
Message Edited by Seaberry on 02-16-2009 11:18 PM
Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Why did you try and update the BIOS in an A105 Satellite with a Tecra A7 BIOS?  If the update ran, it probably fried your BIOS.  The PXE errors mean that the system cannot see a hard drive to boot from and is trying to boot from a network.  It is usually indicative of a failed hard drive but in your case it may indicate that the BIOS has been trashed.  The only fix for that is a trip to an authorized service provider to replace the BIOS chip or possibly the system board.
Seaberry

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.  I read the Vista upgrade document says I need to update my BIOS.  In ACPI Flash BIOS Version 6.00 for Tecra A7 Under Applicable Models: Satellite A105-S4334 is in the list.  Did I miss red the instruction?  I also found many post says “warning 0251: system CMOS check sum bad default config used”.  Needs to replace the battery, did I do something stupid?  Thank you for your help.  -Seaberry

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Interesting.  I see that the BIOS listed under the A105-S4334 is indeed labeled Tecra A7.  I assume that you used ta7i0v600.exe for the update.  The system CMOS checksum message can indeed mean that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced or charged.  On some systems, turning the system off and leaving it plugged in for 24 hours would recharge the CMOS battery.  If it does need to be replaced, that is normally done by a service provider since the battery is often soldered to the system board.  However, this alone wouldn't prevent the system from booting.  It should startup and each time give the CMOS check sum error message and allow you to use the default configuration settings.  It remains, though, that the PXE-61 message means that your system has tried to boot from all available devices, ending with an attempt to boot from a network device.  This normally indicates that your hard drive has failed.  I would suggest that you got back to your original recovery disks and try to restore the original OS.  If that works, then there is a problem with your Vista installation.
Seaberry

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.  The answer was in the ta7i0v600 readme.txt.  I thought I would like to share with everyone.

1.       The BIOS title “ACPI Flash BIOS version 6.00 for Tecra A7 (Intel) (PTA70U) is miss leading. After extracted I opened the readme.txt contains a list of models that this BIOS supports.

2.       In the Caution! Section, Here is the copy of the mystery of how I solve my problem: “On some models, it is not unusual to see a CMOS checksum error when you first reboot the computer after installing the new BIOS.  If you see this message on your screen, press F1 as instructed.  This displays the "TSETUP" screen. Press <End> to save the CMOS data.  You won't see the CMOS checksum error again.

3.       If step 2 still not working for you.  After you flash the BIOS, turn off the power to the computer.  Holding down the tilde (~) key on your keyboard and turn on the power.  This will boot up to drive A.  [This still is mystery to me, I do not have drive A.]  Than do step 2.

Luckly, my motherboard is fine, my CMOS battery is fine too. :smileyhappy:  -Seaberry

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Seaberry,

That's great news and congratulations on your successful research.  Thanks for getting back and letting us know.

Chris