Kimmi98663

How to fix a broken screen on a Toshiba laptop?

Can someone please tell me where I can get the screen fixed on my Toshiba laptop or maybe how to pull the hard drive out?  It was a family member of mine who was killed in Afghanistan.  He had a lot of important info on it. Pictures, videos etc.  The warranty is no good.  I'm not sure what to do.  I hope someone can help.  Thanks.  

Regular Advisor
MadRN

Re: How to fix a broken screen on a Toshiba laptop?

[ Edited ]

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/  has very detailed disassembly instructions.  You can buy replacement screens many places including ebay.   Depending on the age and features of you computer, you might not want to invest the money in repairs.

There are YouTube videos for various Toshiba repairs, too.

Removing the hard drive is very easy.   All you need is a Phillips screwdriver.  REMOVE the BATTERY first, just to be safe.   See that web site, above, for the screen job.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you give us the model of the computer from the label on the bottom, somebody here can probably tell you how to remove the hard drive and also how to connect it to another computer to retrieve the data.

-Jerry
Kimmi98663

[ Edited ]

Thanks! The serial No. is XXXXXXXXX and then NB205-N311/W I think is the model number.  The computer isn't worth anything I know.  I'm just so sad that I wasn't smart enough to backup everything awhile ago.  Thanks again to anyone willing to help. 

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB205-N311/W

I've attached some pictures which should help you remove the hard disk.

You'll want to put it into an enclosure which can be plugged into the USB port of a computer.

Then you'll access it like any other external drive.

If you have problems with permissions while accessing its folders, come back here and tell us which version of Windows you're using.

-Jerry