J_C
Occasional Contributor
J_C

How do I update the BIOS?

OK, I finally got my Portege R100 salvaged, and it was a struggle!!!  At this point it boots into XP, but I still have a BIOS problem.  My current BIOS is 1.6 (the latest) but it does not behave properly so it does not give me the chance to change the boot sequence.  This keeps me from running the recovery disk so I need to fix the BIOS.

I have the install packs for 1.6, 1.5, and some of the earlier ones.  If I try to reflash 1.6, it tells me that I already have 1.6 (yeah, thanks for that info).  If I try to "roll back" to version 1.5, it tells me I am not authorized to do that.  So if my BIOS is corrupted and it won't let me reflash the current version, and it won't let me roll backwards, and there is no later version available, what I am supposed to do?

Normally I could burn an ISO image of the BIOS updater and fix it from the CD, but since I can't boot from the CD drive (because of the BIOS problem) . . . well, you get the idea!  It also doesn't boot from CD even if I change the boot priority in Toshiba HW Setup (and it used to so I know this hardware is compatible).

Thoughts?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: How do I update the BIOS?

That uses an external USB cd drive doesn't it?  The only thing I can think of is to make sure the external is plugged in and recognized while in WIndows, then rebooting the system with the bootable CD in the drive, then pray that it actually offers the option to boot to the external.  IF it doesn't I don't know what to tell you as you can't reflash or revert back to a previous flash with a windows based bios flash utility, only one that is run from a self booting disk.   

This is one of the many reasons why I consider a laptop that without an optical drive to be a fancy toy rather than a real computer. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
shel-hall

Re: How do I update the BIOS?

Try removing the HD; maybe that will force it to try other boot devices. -Shel