Regular Contributor
Nikilet

How To: Start your Windows 7 computer in Safe Mode

I got this new Satellite P875-S7200 laptop for Christmas and haven't hardly had the case open on it. I purchased a new security program for all my computers and in order to remove the old security program I have to start in Safe Mode.

I have never had any trouble starting in Safe Mode but I can not accomplish it on this Toshiba. I've tried about 5 times now and I just can't get it to work. I have gone to the instructions and followed them. They indicated that I had to have any CDs removed so I did that. Instructions also stated to press and hold the F8 key rather than tapping it fast like I've always done on other computers. But I've done it both ways more than once each and every time it starts I'm in regular mode.

Please help as I have no idea what to do.

Thank you.

Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 / Windows 7
Regular Contributor
Nikilet

Re: How To: Start your Windows 7 computer in Safe Mode

[ Edited ]

I'm still waiting for a reply, but I see if I go into msconfig and under the "Boot" tab there is an option to select "Safe Mode" and then under that, select one of the following:

Minimal

Alternate shell

Active Directory repaiar

Network 

If I were to select "Safe Mode" and then "Minimal" would that get me to the same point as "Safe Mode" with the F8 key? And then while in Safe Mode would I be able to get into msconfig and change it back to "Normal startiup?"

Further information: The Toshiba Service Station shows two BIOS updates which I was previously advised not to apply as long as everything was working ok. Would that have anything to do with this business of not being able to get into Safe Mode?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P875-S7200

If I were to select "Safe Mode" .. would that get me to the same point as "Safe Mode" with the F8 key? And then while in Safe Mode would I be able to get into msconfig and change it back to "Normal startiup?"

Yes. 

The Toshiba Service Station shows two BIOS updates which I was previously advised not to apply as long as everything was working ok. Would that have anything to do with this business of not being able to get into Safe Mode?

If that's a Best Buy model, perhaps it is configured for Fast Boot? See the changes for Version 1.30 - 2012-05-10.

ACPI Flash BIOS version 6.30 for Satellite/Qosmio P870/P875/X870/X875

If so, no need to upgrade the BIOS. Hold down the F2 key before and during boot to reach the BIOS. Change the setting for Boot Speed.

-Jerry
Regular Contributor
Nikilet

Jerry,

Thanks for answering. My computer was not purchased at Best Buy.

So you know, I am just a home user who has picked up a lot but am no computer tech. What I'm saying is that reading that link you noted is kind of like Greek to me. 

I am certain that right after I got this I had to go into Safe Mode, having to do with this security program I now want to remove, and it seems I used the F5 key. I do think I got into SM at that time. 

I'm glad to know that I can reach SM by using the option I described, however, I got to thinking that what if I needed to reach the other options, like "Repair computer," ... or "Use last good configuration," Then how do I get to those? 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't know whether Toshiba's Fast Boot affects the F8 access, but check the BIOS for that possibility.

Windows 7's Safe Mode should be accessible as described here.

Start your computer in safe mode

-Jerry
Regular Contributor
Nikilet

I have followed the instructions on that link you sent over and over again, even though I already did know how to get into safe mode to begin with. Looks like I might have made a mistake in letting this new computer sit so long without using it. 

I am sorry to appear to be so thick ... But when it comes to computers I can be because I am so unsure. I don't know exactly what you mean by this statement: 

I don't know whether Toshiba's Fast Boot affects the F8 access, but check the BIOS for that possibility.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you hold down the F2 key before and during boot, you should find yourself in the BIOS. That's a strange place on the motherboard (not the hard drive) where you can change very fundamental things. So you want to be careful in there not to make accidental changes.

You should go there and see if the Boot Speed is set to Fast. That may be what's preventing you from using F8.

-Jerry
Regular Contributor
Nikilet

In your last post you used the term " hold down the F2 key before and during boot."

I decided to try that with the F8 key -- holding it down even before I hit the power key and during. kAlways before I had read to tap it, and these Toshiba instructions say to "press" it before the Windows logo appeared, which is what I did continuously.

Anyway, while holding the F8 key down I powered on my laptop. Immediately the computer started giving off a very loud alarm and as soon as I let off the key the alarm stopped and my advance boot options appeared. 

So now onto my next question. Should that loud alarm have sounded? I've never run across that bedfore?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Mystery to me. I don't have a Toshiba machine here. (I hang around to help with Windows.)

But now you know how to access the advanced boot options menu.

-Jerry
Regular Advisor
bmurray

I have always found it best to spam the desired key (i.e., f2, f8, f12) meaning tapping it every 1/2-1 sec.  sometimes you have to do it a couple of times to get in.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit