bmg
bmg
Accepted Solution

Headphone jack not working

OK.  I just bought a Satellite P870-BT3G22.  I was unhappy with Win8 so I installed a fresh copy of 7 and used Microsoft update to get the machine's drivers almost to 100% but there are a few remaining issues.  I'm going to start with one issue and if that gets fixed, we can move on.

Before getting to my issue, I first have to say I was surprised to learn that my graphics card is an "Intel HD 4000" when I ordered an nVidia geforce GT 630M.  This makes me wonder how much of the hardware in this machine is not what was advertised, which would explain the remaining problems I'm having because not only do I not know what hardware I have, Toshiba's driver listings don't always distinguish between win8 and win7 drivers for all the types of hardware they may put in this model.  Frankly, I'm concerned that if I do have a lot of knockoff hardware, I'm not going to be able to get this machine fully operational.

So the immediate problem I'm having is that the headphone jack doesn't work.  According to my order form as well as the pdf spec that goes with my machine, I have "SRS Premium Sound 3D".  But in device manager, my soundcard is listed as "High Definition Audio Device".  I went to Toshiba driver listings for my model and found the installer for SRS Premium Sound.  I wasn't sure if it was intended for Win8, but it did install fine on my Win7.  However when I try to run it, it runs in the background and no window shows up.  It also looks like what I installed is just a sound control panel, not a driver.  Maybe they are the same thing?  But after I installed SRS Sound, device manager still thinks I have "High Definition Audio Device".

So the issue I need to get resolved first is how do I figure out what sound hardware I even have, and then, which driver is the win7 driver for my hardware?  I would bet that getting the right driver installed fixes this.

Peter

Re: Headphone jack not working

On the driver download, there are tags for operating systems as well. Simply select the appropriate OS tag to filter down to drivers for that OS.

In addition, that model comes with Optimus technology. It uses the Intel graphics until it needs the NVIDIA graphics.

For more help, you may want to call customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
bmg
bmg

Thanks Peter.  I hadn't seen the OS tags at the bottom of the list.

Interestingly, there were no sound drivers for my exact model for Win7 64, so I just searched for drivers for the other P870 models.  I needed both the Realtek driver and the SRS Premium Sound 3D.

Thanks again, I'm relieved.

If you read this, can you comment on one thing?  You said the computer uses Intel Graphics until it needs NVIDIA.  I don't quite understand how this is possible.  Is the Intel hardware in some way masking or hiding nvidia hardware?  I did try going to nvidia's site and running their card detection utility and it found nothing.

Peter

Optimus Technology works by using your on-board graphics until the NVIDIA software decides that your computer needs the NVIDIA card. When it does, it switches. I haven't used it much myself, so I don't know what that threshold is or how it decides.

I believe, but am not positive, that both cards should be displayed in Device Manager. Can you double-check?

- Peter
bmg
bmg

In Device Manager, under Display Adapters, I have both an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, and a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".  I have tried multiple times to remove the Standard adapter, but it always comes back, so I've disabled it.  Could that be the nvidia card?  I don't know, but i do know that when it is enabled and I select it as my adapter, my graphics quality goes way down.  Also, as I mentioned, nvidia's device detection utility doesn't discover any nvidia hardware.

If you're interested in continuing, I think this could be part of my other remaining problem, which I mentioned in my original post.  The problem is that in Device Manager, I have two mystery devices in the "Other Devices" category.  One is a "PCI Device" and one is a Universal Serial Bus Controller.  Both have the little yellow exclamation point layered over them, and looking at their properties, they both have a Device status with Code 28, and a description saying "The drivers for this device are not installed".

Figuring out what these mystery devices are seems like it could be a needle in a haystack hunt, and I am not noticing any other problems with the computer.  Maybe if I find out the issue with the nvidia card one of these will go away?

Peter

I would expect you to have the Intel and the NVIDIA listed under Display Adapters. This makes me think that the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" is really the NVIDIA card that's not being correctly identified.

I was going to suggest that you reinstall the latest display driver after ensuring both are enabled. Unfortunately, there isn't one for that model for Windows 7. Want to try the Windows 8 version?

nVidia Display Driver Version: 9.18.13.637 Posted Date: 2012-12-11 Release Date: 2012-09-12

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
jeffery_bergman

thank you Peter. this is very good info

jeff

thanks

Jeff Bergman
CEO
Bergman Industries

sent from my ipad
akar

Hi ,

I have a toshiba Satellite A215, Vista OS

My headphone jacks are not working...I have tried various speakers, including bose computer speakers and lately the mini max speakers.  I can hear the slight thump when I insert the plug into the jack, but only the internal speakers function.

can you please help?

thank you

Regular Advisor
bmurray

please provide the full model nuber of your computer (i.e., A215-S4747).  It is printed on the bottom of the computer.

Also, it would be best if you start your own thread as you have a completely different computer than the OP, and this thread is old.

you could try and uninstall the audio driver then reinstall.  if that does not work, you can restore your computer to a point in time when the headphone jack did work.  or if all else fails, you can restore your computer to out-of-box state.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit