Occasional Contributor
Grin

Hard Drive C is full, D is empty- P305-S8920

It's new out of the box.  The C drive is 49 GB and full, D is supposed to be 298 GB and it's empty.  The computer askes me to delete unnessary files and such to make room for more storage, doesn't seem to realize there is nearly 300 GB available in a different drive.

Thanks for your help! The machine is a Satellite P305-S8920

Grin

Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: Hard Drive C is full, D is empty- P305-S8920

Your specs indicate:384GB using two drives;  wih 64 bit OS.

o Primary drive: 64GB Serial ATA solid state drive

o Secondary drive: 320GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive

You could change the drive letters so that the 320GB is reset to 'C'. Works on a test unit here with dual drives.

Occasional Contributor
Grin

Thanks Defender, it sounds like a great solution.

Ummm, how exactly do I do that? :smileyvery-happy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P305-S8920 

It's new out of the box.  The C drive is 49 GB and full

It should not be full. You should be loading all your data and new applications to the second drive. Use the first one only for the operating system (and whatever files that applications insist upon putting there).

Start by cleaning things up on the C drive.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

Then come back here and tell us what the situation is. We need to know what applications you have installed and so forth.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Grin

So, the default path for downloading stuff to a new computer is wrong.  Is that right? 

I need (and have installed) AVG, Firefox, Thunderbird, currency trading platforms, pictures, music..., etc., etc, etc, all the stuff computer users need.

I want to be very clear on what I need to do.  I can't simply change the letter designation on the two HDDs, I need to clean the C (small HDD) of all I've downloaded onto it and re-download it onto "D".  All the program files.., all the pics, all the music..., all the stuff I need on this machine.

Can these two drives talk to each other?  Will I forever be hassling with this?  How much do we make doing this R&D for Toshiba? (kidding)

Before I delete anything I want to know how to configure this machine and how much hassle this is going to be from now till it dies,

Thanks, 

Grin

Occasional Contributor
Grin

Jerry, I'll just add that out of the box the "C" drive was not full, it became full as I put my stuff on it.

And please, please please tell me if this drive issue is going to haunt me for the time I own this machine.  I just barely got it and for the price I paid I expect a good machine that is relatively hassle free.  Looking for data and programs on two different HDDs will be a hassle if they can't talk to each other.  I'd like to know now so I can send it back if necessary.

Thanks for your help and thanks for your honesty,

Grin

Occasional Contributor
Grin

And I've got one more question..., if I need to undo all I've done since I took this thing out of the box could I simnply use the system restore and restore it to the pristine condition I received it in?

Cheers and thanks, Grin :smileyvery-happy:

Regular Advisor
Defender

Yes, you could use the Recovery Disk and can understand the frustration.  However, I would go to www.toshiba.com customer service for tech support and have them log onto your system via EasyAccess protocol to ensure that the specs from the factory were achieved for that 2 drive unit.
Occasional Contributor
Grin

Thanks Defender..., a recovery disc???????????  Hah, hah, ha..., I haven't seen one of those for years!  System Restore was what I was asking about.

At any rate, I went to Toshiba.com and found no such link for Easy Access.  If you'd be so kind could you point it out to me?

Thanks for all your help, it's bedtime here so I'll be back to bug you fine folks in the (my) morning. :smileyvery-happy:

Grin

Regular Advisor
Defender

You misunderstood, EasyAccess is used by Tech Support to log into your computer to see what specifically is occurring, thus the customer support data previously related.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

if I need to undo all I've done since I took this thing out of the box could I simnply use the system restore and restore it to the pristine condition I received it in?

Not System Restore, which just restores the registry and system files.

If it's a new machine, you might want to use the Toshiba recovery discs to restore the hard drive to its original out-of-the-box state.

So, the default path for downloading stuff to a new computer is wrong.  Is that right?

Yes, that's correct. You should install applications to your second drive.

And you should certainly put all data files there.

Also, you might want to move other things there. The temporary-files folder and the paging file come to mind.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Grin

Thanks for your help Jerry and Defender,

What a PIA.  Toshiba really dropped the ball on this one.  I just talked to a service tech, he said the default pathway is wrong and it would require a change in the hardware which means sending the machine to a service center.  The bigger HDD should be the default (Duh, ya think?)  

By the way, I uninstalled and deleted everything I could find that I put on "C" and it only freed up 6.8 gigs.  

So, Jerry or Defender, if you guys have a better long term solution I'd love to hear it.  At this point I'm thinking about returning it to the place I bought it from and buying one of the other laptops I was weighing this one against. I'll probably have a laptop sooner that way.

I wonder if I was the first idiot to buy one of these things...,

Thanks guys, I won't do a thing until I hear from you.  I do appreciate your help, :smileyvery-happy:

Grin

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Personally, I like the idea of putting the operating system on the smaller drive and everything else on the larger one.

If the paging file is on C, then you should be able to even speed things up a bit by moving most of it to the second drive. See the section Ensuring that you have an adequate virtual-memory configuration in this document.

Get maximum performance from Windows Vista

-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

I don't think there's any need to send that system in.  It seems to be configured to spec.  The detailed specs for that model show the following for disk storage:

Storage Drive

• 384GB using two drives;
o Primary drive: 64GB Serial ATA solid state drive
o Secondary drive: 320GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive

Sounds like what you've described.  You may want to install all your software and keep all your data on the hard disk drive and just let Windows have the solid state drive to itself.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
Grin

[ Edited ]

Jim, let me tell you why that won't work.  The C drive is the primary drive.  Once it's full it pesters you constantly to delete files and do clean ups.  Since the folders that accept downloads, emails, updates and so on are on the C drive it will inevitably fill up.  It would work if the D drive, the 320 gb HDD, is the default pathway but not if the C is. 

Here's where I'm at now.  A tech from a service center reconfigured my laptop moving all the folders I just mentioned over to the d drive through the Easy Access feature Defender mentioned.  That would be a decent solution if it had happened before I filled the C drive with programs and files.  Upon the advice from Jerry I removed every program and file I could find from the C drive but it only freed 6.5 gigs.  The remote tech searched and could not free more up.  Some files will insist on landing in the C drive since that's where the main files reside.  I'll run the disc to free up as much space on C as I can.  And, like I said, I'm hoping to be able to load it all on D and just be done with it.

I've ordered the Restore disc from Toshiba, I'll wipe C clean when I get it and if possible I'll load all the original programs in D, if not I'll reconfigure the pathways so D is the home for my documents, downloads, etc and all programs I add to this machine.

This is a Toshiba problem.  This is a Toshiba problem!  The 320 gb HDD needs to come configured as the primay drive I think it's nuts to use a 64 gb drive for the OS and such and the whole thing feels a bit like a band-aid.

You guys here will see this problem a lot unless my machine was an anomoly.  If Toshiba sent many out the door like mine every one will have a problem.  You can't run Vista, Office, etc on a 64 gig HDD.  The computer does not kick things over to D when C is full, it starts crying uncontrollably.

I'll probably be back to this forum when I get the Restore disc,  I don't really know what I'm doing.

Kudos to Jerry and Defender, I appreciate your efforts.  Don't mark this issue as resolved, it's still unresolved and I'm going to need some more hand holding before this episode is over.

Grin 

Message Edited by Grin on 03-16-2009 03:24 PM
Regular Advisor
Defender

As Jim,Jerry and I related the configuration was correct--the 64gb{primary drive] is setup to just hold portion of the software to announce you have it on the system, with the functionality for the software/program[e.g. game] will be on the larger drive.  However, you were putting software/documents and did not reference during the screen setup to which Drive you wanted to place them.
Occasional Contributor
Grin

No Defender, the configuration is NOT correct.

If you look at the folders already in place on this machine  (documents, pictures, music, downloads, etc) you'll find the default factory pathway is onto the small C drive.  While techies may be hip enough to deal with this the rest of us idiots expect easier operation from a $1,150 laptop.

Had Toshiba intended for me, the user, to load everything onto the 320 GB D drive the default pathways would be in place the folders to which Windows wants me to put files would be on the D drive. My D drive had NOTHING on it, no folders, no software, nothing!  One of the first things the machine askes me to do is tell it my nane so the default folders for music, documents, pictures, videos and such are configured with my name and ALL OF THESE FOLDERS ARE ON THE C DRIVE.

Cheers, :smileyvery-happy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The problem is largely due to Vista's propensity to make shadow copies.

When you get the drive restored, come back here and we can talk about how to limit that - and a few other space-taking things.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Grin

Will do, Jerry, thanks,
Occasional Advisor
Techman

Grin,

First of all this is not a Toshiba problem.  This is just the way Windows works.  Windows assumes that most computers have one hard drive, so it defaults everything to the hard drive.  This doesn't mean it is Windows fault either, as most computers do only have one hard drive, and if it didn't default on this and MANY other things users would be nagged to death about decisions or things would be a mess since no assumptions were made.

The bottom line is that every computer with more then one hard drive runs into this.  The user themself has to decide where to put things.  Also you did buy a high end computer, which means you have more capability then other users.  But this also carries some responsibility.  But don't worry, it isn't too hard to learn.

And the 6 or 7 gigs free is fine.  You don't want to install any programs or any data on that hard drive, just leave it for Windows system files.  Once you move the swap file over to drive D:, you will have a more robust system.  Your drive C is small because the technology is more costly.  But on the other hand it is more robust and stable then normal hard drives.  It is not as prone to failing after being dropped or bumped like a normal hard drive.

Any way, it is a good system.  BTW, I have three hard drives on my home computer.  I run into the same issues on it.  But once you understand things it isn't a big deal and it is well worth it.  Personally I wish all computers, even laptop, came with more then one hard drive.  It sure makes backing up easier.

This signature left intentionally blank.