AgatheJ

HWsetup password

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have a TECRA R840 Toshiba laptop (with Windows 7 professional) that I bought on the internet via my university.

When I got the computer, Windows has already been installed.

It has now been about a year and I have just set my mind on installing Ubuntu alongside Windows. For this, it seems that I need to boot from a usb key on which Ubuntu was put via a program called LinuxLive Usb Creator.

Unfortunately, I am having problems getting my laptop to boot from the usb key.

When I press F2 at startup, I get to a menu where there is a "change boot order" option which I cannot get access to.

Checking on the internet, it seems that I need to change the boot order via a Toshiba utility called HWsetup. However, When I open this utility, it asks for a password.

The only password I know of is the one that I enter before getting on to Windows (log on password) but it does not work in that case.

What is the password that HWsetup needs?

Why is there a password of which I am not aware on my own computer?

How can I move on and install Linux on my laptop?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Best,

Agathe

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

Re: HWsetup password

What is the password that HWsetup needs?

Why is there a password of which I am not aware on my own computer?

How can I move on and install Linux on my laptop?

I’m posting because no one yet answered. I’m not sure why your HWSetup boot configuration is locked by a password. Is this a second hand model that your university buys? In my Toshiba HWSetup enables User Password to be registered and a Boot priority option is available.   If you go into bios, in my PC the security has 2 password protected settings, User and Supervisor.  You may want to check if both are enabled.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ9202JF0000R01.htm

You did not specify the exact model of Tecra R840. It appears Tecra models have an ODD. As I recall when I installed Ubuntu in another PC, I used CD/DVD drive.  Do you need to use USB to boot? 

Here’s a direction for installing from a DVD. 

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-desktop-latest

AgatheJ

Thank you for your answer kshrine!

"Is this a second hand model that your university buys?"

I am pretty sure this was a new computer when it was bought.

"In my Toshiba HWSetup enables User Password to be registered and a Boot priority option is available."

I cannot get access to HWSetup as the computer asks for a password when I try to open it (I get to it via TOSHIBA Assist).

"If you go into bios, in my PC the security has 2 password protected settings, User and Supervisor.  You may want to check if both are enabled."

When in the BIOS, 2 passwords are set: Supervisor and User. I can change the User password but cannot do anything with the Supervisor one (I have never set a supervisor password!). Actually, a lot of things in BIOS are inacessible (like boot order, everything in the power management tab as well as the advanced tab)...

Do you need to use USB to boot?

I do not necessarily need to boot from a usb key but if I cannot change the boot order, will booting from a CD be easier?

I know I can use the Windows installer for Ubuntu and get Linux as a program within Windows. However, I would prefer to have it alongside Windows.

If someone has any advice.... :smileyhappy:

Regular Advisor
bmurray

[ Edited ]

could you please provide the entire model number.  do not provide the serial number.  Also, what version of Windows are you running?  Include the 32 bit/64 bit part.

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit