dcoperator
Accepted Solution

HDD PASSWORD

Hello everyone...I have a Satellite PSAG8U that promps me for a HDD password on start up. I have never set up a password on this laptop and am wondering what I can do to regain access to my computer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Super Advisor
brad

Re: HDD PASSWORD

Most likely that indicates a dead hard drive. :-(

dcoperator

Only 2 years old.....Is there a way to test it?

dcoperator

And is BIOS password the same as HDD password?

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello Dcoperator.

>>> And is BIOS password the same as HDD password?

Not even close, totally different birds. The BIOS PW is set IN the BIOS and can be sometimes changed, not a discussion in this forum for obvious reasons.

The HD PW is set via the BIOS and written to a logic board on the HD so that if you took it out of a laptop and set it into another laptop, you could not even read it, total data protection. This one is set in concrete, if you forget it, game over, get a new HD. There is no way to cure this unless you want to fork out > $500.00 to get a speciallized lab to retrieve the data for you. In one word : forget it.

Be good.  Jean.

dcoperator

Thanks for your response Jean but if I never set a password, how could I be asked for one?

Super Advisor
brad

From a couple years of watching this and older iterations of the Toshiba forums, the  prompting for a HDD password when the user has not set one is typically an indication that the hard drive has failed.

I suppose to test you could pull the HDD and attach it to a different computer, I use a device that connects PATA or SATA drives via USB.

But, in the end, your HDD is most likely dead.

dcoperator

Thanks guys....

richsaidthis

I BELIEVE TO ACCESS THE TOSHIBA LAPTOP IS THE USE OF THE HDD PASSWORD, I NOW HAVE PROGRAMMED TO USE IT WHEN I BOOT UP.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT I LEFT THE UNIT CHARGE TO ALMOST A DEAD BATTERY.

THE PASSWORD FREATURE DISAPPERED.

ACCESS TO THE LAPTOP WELCOME SCREEN WAS AVAIALABLE TO ANYONE AT BOOT UP.

A FEW LATER BOOT UPS THE PASSWORD WENT BACK INTO USE. 

noknojon

"$500.00 to get a speciallized lab to retrieve the data for you. In one word : forget it."

So Toshiba is telling everyone to contact a Local service center (mine is over 150 miles away) and you will still be charged $500 for "Nothing" ??

This is a fault in Toshiba laptops and as such it should be FREE !!

There has never been a HDD Password set by anyone except Toshiba, certainlt not by me - - -

There MUST be a solution that can be applied by anyone -

NOT HAPPY - :smileymad: