Martha3

Frozen Cursor new Satellite C55-A

Brand new Satellite C55A.  Not yet fully set up.  Win 8.1  Has WiFi connectivity and IE WAS working during the initial set-up.  E-mail not yet set-up.  Now, when I start it up, the cursor freezes at the Start screen.  Works fine on the Toshiba splash screen, and works fine on the log-in screen.  Once the start screen appears, the cursor works briefly, and intermittently has the "working" blue circle next to it.  About the same time the "working" blue circle extinguishes, the cursor becomes frozen.  Did Ctl-Alt-Del, and task manager says no apps are running.  Already tried the battery removal thing without any improvement.  Driving me batty here.  I can't even tell if it's a Toshiba thing, or a Windows 8 thing.  No programs have been installed on it by me, although I remember seeing a notice that Toshiba was installing a couple of updates during the initial set-up (didn't say what).  So far as I can tell, the only software is Win 8 and the usual adware crap that comes with a Walmart machine.

Martha3

Re: Frozen Cursor new Satellite C55-A

FN-F5  fixed the problem.  F5 alone did not.  I'm pretty sure that I didn't toggle F5, and suspect that one of the "updates" that the Toshiba laptop automatically downloaded had something to do with the problem.  Presumably the updates are some Windows 8 update.  The notifications I'm presently getting are a bit vague on that point.

MarilynFirestone

HOW DO i FIND THE "LOST" CURSOR

Peter

Usually when I temporarily can't find my cursor, I just spin my mouse in circles so I can see it. You could also change your mouse settings to make the cursor larger or enable cursor trails.

Changing your touchpad settings.

- Peter
maryh2

Hi Martha

we have similar problem with new C55 (also purchased in April).  Occasionally it can be "unfrozen" with a restart, but only reliable method we've found is a shutdown (Ctrl Alt Del, then use tab key to navigate to shutdown symbol and then use spacebar to select it.  After shutdown remove battery for 5 seconds and then reboot.

Peter - cursor is frozen, not lost;  spinning on mouse pad does not move it.

Suspect this is W8 and/or Toshiba driver problem.  After 5 years reliable use of ToshA300 + WXP, we are not happy with this latest purchase

Peter

Hi maryh2,

I was responding to MarilynFirestone, who said that she lost her cursor. I was under the impression that she had a different problem, but I might be mistaken. I didn't reply to Martha3 because she fixed it herself.

What C55-A do you have? Can you check the part number on the bottom? Does F5 or FN+F5 work to bring the touchpad back?

- Peter
maryh2

Hi Peter

it's a C55A-A-1HL, p/n PSCG6E-08X01CEN.  Since we posted here, it's been thoroughly well behaved and hasn't need a hard power down etc., so haven't had the chance to try the  F5 or FN+F5 remedy.  Will certainly post if problem returns.

A&M

Peter

It may be different for your computer. This is the forums for Toshiba USA, and that's not a US model. Unfortunately, I don't have specific information for your model.

- Peter