na2
na2
Accepted Solution

Freezing: Protégé M780 w/ Express Port Replicator II

[ Edited ]

I've recently been using my M780 laptop with an Express Port Replicator II. Ever since I've been using the port replicator, my laptop has been freezing intermittently. The screen will freeze and the laptop's fan will begin to blow loudly. I'm using Window 7 Professional 64-bit.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue. I still have the previous express port replicator. My laptop worked well with it; it never freezes. It only freezes when I use the new port replicator.

Is there anyone else having the same issue?

steed074

Re: Freezing: Protégé M780 w/ Express Port Replicator II

I'm having the exact same problem, only difference is I'm on Win7 32bit.  I've got 153 of these laptops that were ordered as part of a system installation and 50 docks.  The laptops run solid until put on a dock, then they randomly freeze up and the fan starts blowing full blast.  I was running them for 3 months prior to rolling out the docks and never had an issue.

I've called Toshiba and support has had me update the USB serial driver for the dock and the BIOS for the laptop, but the problems have persisted.  They go away however as soon as the laptop is undocked.  I'm coming up on my wits end here, they want me to do a factory restore and start over fresh now, which would be okay with one laptop, but not with 153 of them.

MrSteve007

[ Edited ]

Count me in as another Toshiba M780 user who faces a ton of freezes - but only while docked to my port replicator. Sometimes it'll go a week without a freeze, and other times it'll be 4-5 lock ups a day. Frequently it happens when I'm away from my workstation, and I'm greeted with the blow dryer like fan noise - and a frozen up machine. We have two in the office, and the problem goes away when the laptop isn't docked. It has all of the latest Toshiba software and updates - and while I can get rid of the problem just by getting rid of the dock, that is just a pain to blow money on a semi-usless dock.

I really wish for Toshiba to resolve this issue.

Occasional Advisor
moroji

using 2.10 BIOS?

-=: moroji :=-
MrSteve007

Moroji, yes - this is with two laptops using BIOS 2.10 & EC Ver. 1.60.
jr1
jr1

We are having the same issue on over 10 laptops.  M780s have been updated to the latest BIOS and other drivers.  Toshiba support hasn't helped.  Does anyone have a solution to this?

Dave_Drury

I too am experiencing exactly the same problem.  Once in the port replicator my M780 freezes completely and after around 3-4 seconds the fan blows at full speed.  The machine then has to be rebooted with no log of an error indicating some hardware problem.

Come on Toshiba sort this out!!

Occasional Advisor
moroji

Maybe same as R700 problem fixed with fingerprint software?  http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/download.jsp?ct=DL&soid=2836489&ref=EV

-=: moroji :=-
na2
na2

I totally forgot about this place. I just wanted to add that we disabled the fingerprint scanners a while back and haven't had an issue with freezing. We had to disable the fingerprint scanner using group policy because the fingerprint scanner would reinstall or reenable itself. Thanks a bundle.