Occasional Contributor
devortiz06

Fan quit working. Satellite P755-S5381

[ Edited ]

The main cooling fan on my Satellite P755-S5381 just quit working. When viewing the PC health monitor, both the CPU temperature and the fan speed read 0% but the computer is quite warm. This computer is fairly new (I've been using it for about 3 months) so there shouldn't be any problems due to normal wear yet. The fan is pretty important, without it major damage could occur to the CUP and motherboard, so I need to figure this out as soon as possible.

Edit: I just ran a third party program (SpeedFan 4.45), it shows the CPU temperature sensor to be still working and shows the CPU at about 65 C. This program is unable to change the fan speed for me though (it is supposed to but either its not compatible with this computer or whatever is wrong is interfering).

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Fan quit working. Satellite P755-S5381

The cooling fan is usually very close to the vents on the side of the computer. Check the vents for dirt, dust or other blockages. If no blockages and still no fan, I would call the Call Center and see about getting a repair. You're right, a non-working fan could damage your system board or CPU.

Avoid those 3rd party fan programs. They never seem to work on the Toshiba computers.

Occasional Contributor
devortiz06

It seems to be some kind of software or sensor but. As soon as I realized what was going on I rebooted the computer but this had no effect. I then put it into sleep mode for almost 24 hours, when I came back to it the fan began to work again, and the sensors for CPU temp and fan speed were working again in the Toshiba health monitor. There is no dirt or debris blocking it, it definitely seems to be a software but because the sensors as read through toshiba's software both read 0% even though the CPU was quite hot (66 C) according to speedfan. I probably wouldn't have even noticed normally but I was playing a game and the computer was getting quite hot but there wasn't the normal stream of hot air coming out the side. Has anyone else experienced a similar problems?

jjrudey

I'm actually experiencing the same thing right now. I was playing a game so my CPU was over 80C when I checked it. Hoping the problem goes away. Really don't feel like sending in for repairs.

jjrudey

And just like that. After many hours of being asleep. It works again

skinner

I have the same model and and the fan is starting to make noises like the bearing is going out. Of course, Toshiba won't sell parts to the end user so now I have to find a new fan from an outside source. pisses me off cause the laptop is only 4 months old. This is the forth Toshiba I've had and will probably be the last. They won't warranty the computer cause I'm in a war zone in Afghanistan. And to be honest, it'll take too long to get it back so next time I'll look at another brand.