snowcat

External hard drive won't install, Please Help

I just purchased this same external hard drive, 3/7/2011.  I hooked everything up via my USB, put in the installation CD, got the Drive Set-up window, clicked on Backup Software and got a message "C:\DOCUMEN~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\pft48F~tmp\" and "Access denied" with the only choice of clicking on "OK"; when I clicked on OK, a small window titled "unpacking backup software" appears in the upper left corner; it got about halfway through, stopped and I got an alert from my McAfee security program that it detected a trojan and removed it. Then 3 gauges appear in the upper left corner and the message "Toshiba Backup Software Installation an error occurred during the move data process of the file REFILERW.SYS!" appears and I click OK again then the Toshiba Drive Setup window appears and a green checkmark is NOT next to Backup Software. However, if I go ahead and click on the other 2 items to install, Drive Monitor Software and Power Save Software, a green checkmark appears next to them. When I then click Exit I get my regular startup screen. The Drive Monitor appears in My Programs but nothing else.  Did Toshiba send me a trojan on their program?

When I checked out my McAfee to see what the name of the trojan was,it says: Artemis!8CBE6FC5C432

I'm not a technophobe and am just lost; I don't know what to do or where to get answers. I emailed Toshiba Tech Support twice but didn't get anything back.

Please, can someone out there help me?

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

Re: External hard drive won't install, Please Help

[ Edited ]

It would be a false positive.  Some antivirus programs look for virus like activity, and that makes them much more prone to errors.

Get rid of McAfee's and switch to Microsoft Security Essentials, it is free and very good.   Security essentials is a very light program, so you will not notice any slow downs when it is running like the bloatware security programs are known for and you will have far fewer false positives.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

When I used to manage a PC repair shop, we used to have people come in and pay us to get rid of McAfee's and Nortons on their systems because they would slow the computers down so much, and the false positives were making them miserable when trying to install programs that they knew were safe.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
snowcat

So, if this is a false positive what do I do?  I don't really want to dump my McAfee Security program; is there a way to get around it and do the install? And if I do get it to install will McAfee constantly detect and remove it?

I'm skittish about going with another security program. I've had McAfee for over 10 years and never have had a problem, that I know of that is.  Not being a technophobe, I don't know how I would even know if I have a problem; all the computer gibberish is greek to me.  I would like to look at my start-up programs and delete the ones I don't need but have no idea how to figure out what's what.

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

It's possible that you could tell McAfee to ignore that file, but from my own past experience with McAfee it will more than likely ignore what you tell it, and delete the file anyway. 

Other than that, there is not much else that you can do with it, but wait and hope that they come out with a corrected virus definition that will not attack that programs files.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement