johnwhelan

External 3Tb drive / win 7 backup problems

The drive is a TOSHIBA Canvio Desk 3TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop External Hard Drive HDWC130XK3J1 and I can quite happily read and write to it but Win 7 normal backup software is unable to complete a backup, I suspect because the drive is going into some sort of hibernate mode. The supplied backup software only seems to be able to back up files that are accessible to the account its been run in which is a drawback. Any suggestions? Thanks John
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: External 3Tb drive / win 7 backup problems

Win 7 normal backup software is unable to complete a backup, I suspect because the drive is going into some sort of hibernate mode.

John, some external drives have firmware which puts them to sleep. If it's that, I don't think you'll find a solution.

If it's due to Windows, try the suggestions here..

How to keep external USB drives from sleeping (Windows 7)

The supplied backup software only seems to be able to back up files that are accessible to the account its been run in which is a drawback.

I don't have any experience with that. Maybe it can be solved by taking ownership.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder

-Jerry
johnwhelan

I'll play with the power settings but there is a reason that two of the accounts have secured files and I really don't want to take ownership on these. Thanks John
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'll play with the power settings..

Let us know what you learn.

-Jerry
johnwhelan

Changing the USB hub power setting helps but then Windows backup gives a 0x8078002a error. Digging on the Internet WD's answer is to reformat the drive using one of their utilities. The full WD answer follows: @@@@ Problem: When using Windows 7 Backup and Restore with a 2.5 TB or 3.0 TB drive, the backup fails with an error code of (0x8078002A). Cause: This problem is caused by an issue with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore utility when using drives with 4K Logical sector sizes, which are found on WD 2.5 TB and larger external drives. This is different from an "Advanced Format" (AFD) drive which use 4K physical sector sizes. AFD drives should not cause this problem. Solution: It is still possible to use a 2.5 TB drive or larger with Windows 7 Backup and Restore, as long as you don't need to use the drive with Windows XP. Using the WD Quick Formatter tool, select the Factory Default configuration to reformat the drive. STOP Critical: This tool will erase all data on your drive, so take the necessary precautions such as creating a backup of your data. After formatting the drive to Factory Default mode, the drive will be usable in Windows Vista and Windows 7. However, the drive will not be recognized in Windows XP. This is the only way to get Windows 7 Backup and Restore to work correctly. @@@@ So currently it doesn't look as if the Toshiba drive can be used with Windows backup unless they have away to repartition the drive. Cheerio John
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized Windows 7's image backup does not support drives with advanced-format technology. Certainly a surprise to me!

From Microsoft..

Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows

And the one you found from WD.. 

Error: 0x8078002A occurs when backing up to a 2.5 or 3.0 TB drive in Windows 7 Backup and Restore

Just in passing, we do know that restoring to such a drive on a Toshiba computer using its recovery media can make trouble. See my message about that.

-Jerry