Occasional Contributor
vaisforlovers

Disabling Start up programs

I just received my Toshiba L450 and I have looked at the start up programs using WinPatrol. Can I disable or move to the delayed start the following programs - SVPWUIL (HKLM_run), HWSetup (HKLM_RUN), KeNotify(HKLM_RUN), ToshibaServiceStation (HKLM_RUN), and the same programs under x64_RUN)? I don't understand the difference between HKLM and x64 and why each start up program is in each group. I'm guessing all these could cause a boot up slowdown. I used to disable start ups in the Window Explorer tool in Windows Defender but I can't find this in Win. 7 Is it there? Do I disable them in MSCONFIG now? Thank you for any help. Joanne
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Disabling Start up programs

Yes, Joanne, you can use the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) for that purpose. Disable those items you prefer not to start automatically when Windows boots by unchecking them on the Startup tab.

If you really want to get into this, the following utility is far better, but a bit more complex.

Autoruns for Windows

Windows Defender is included in Windows 7, but Microsoft turns it off when installing some other programs. So I don't recommend you use it.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
vaisforlovers

Thanks for your reply but I am still having problems knowing which ones I can disable since this is my first Toshiba laptop ie SVPWUIL (HKLM_run), HWSetup (HKLM_RUN), KeNotify(HKLM_RUN), ToshibaServiceStation (HKLM_RUN), and all of these programs are also under x64_RUN? I don't understand the difference between HKLM and x64 and why each start up program is in each group. Is there somewhere I can go search for all this? Thank you. Joanne
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm not the right one to tell you which Toshiba programs should start automatically. (I don't have a Toshiba here.)

I can tell you that HKLM refers to the fact that the item is started by a particular registry key. X64 has to do with the fact that your version of Windows is 64-bit and must simulate a 32-bit environment when running ordinary 32-bit programs.

Where are you looking?

If you want to talk more, tell us which computer and which Windows you have.

-Jerry