vickyp

DVD player stopped playing movies, gives message

I'm a first time user and hope I'm doing this correctly.  I had to restart my computer in "safe mode" once and since then (maybe coincidentally) the DVD player gives this message "Modules needed for this application are missing.  If restarting the application does not fix the problem please reinstall the application.  Can anyone tell me what it means, why it's showing up now (and won't play DVDs) and how to fix it?  I'm not a skilled computer person. 

Frequent Advisor
civicman4

Re: DVD player stopped playing movies, gives message

what laptop? which windows?

-civicman4-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post all info about your laptop and version of windows. We are working on it but still do not have the powers to read your mind.
vickyp

It's a Satellite A215 S5818 with Vista.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A215-S5818

Won't hurt to reinstall the application. There are two listed for that model. If one doesn't work, try the other.

Toshiba DVD Player for Windows Vista (Version 1.20.10 - Released 03/04/08)

Toshiba DVD Player for Windows Vista (Version 1.10.08 - Released 09/28/07)

-Jerry
vickyp

Thank you for responding.  I did try both these recommendations; however, I still got the same message - Modules needed (etc.).  Should I have deleted something before I downloaded this new one?  The drive plays CDs, just not DVDs and has played them for quite some time.  It seems to have stopped playing the DVDs about the time I restarted the computer in "Safe Mode" because it keeps shutting down unexpectedly.  I have, yesterday, sprayed dust remover in all the places I can find to spray for the first time and, perhaps, a build-up of dust was the reason for the shutdowns.  I have a "Recovery and Applications" disk that came with the computer, if there is something I should do with that.  However, I've never done anything like that and I'm not sure how to do something like that.  Thank you so much for your help and I'll look forward to your next response.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you can read/write CDs, but cannot read or write DVDs in that drive, probably it is malfunctioning.

The CD and DVD functions are entirely independent. They just share the mechanical components.

-Jerry
vickyp

Thanks so much.  It's so good to have this information so that I can tell a computer repair person where to start looking.  Thanks, again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck.

-Jerry
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Try downloading and installing the VLC Media Player.  It's free and can play DVD's along with just about any other media file.  It is fully self contained so even if there was a problem with your other DVD player software VLC would still work.  If that doesn't play DVD movies either then you are 99.9% certain it's a hardware failure, more than likely the drive itself as Jerry said. 

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.