ultimategirl

DVD drive won't play CDs

I have a toshiba Satellie L45-57423. It it several years old. For several months now, it hasn't been able to play CDs, only DVDs. It hasn't been much of an issue, but now I have a program on a CD that I would like to get on my computer. I can put the disc in, I can hear the computer try and run it, but nothing happens. Any suggestions? I know a bit about computers, but not much

Thanks!

Peter

Re: DVD drive won't play CDs

Satellite L45-S7423

If you open device manager (search for it in the Start Menu) and expand the CD/DVD drives, does it show any problems? A problem device will have an exclamation mark over the icon. Including a screenshot of this would be helpful.

Do you have any CD/DVD burning applications installed? Do you use any virtual drive / image mounting tools (if you don't know what that is, that's fine).

- Peter
ultimategirl

No problems shown.

I think that the only DVD burning program is Windows DVD maker. I don't use any virtual drive or image mounting tools. 

Thanks

Kellie

Peter

Try right-clicking on the device in Device Manager and uninstalling it. Afterwards, reboot and Windows should auto-detect the drive again.

I have heard of this happening before (either DVDs or CDs being unreadable), and it could be that the lens/laser has failed. If that's the case, it would need replacing.

- Peter
mar1

mine here (satellite 655) has the same problem, dvd drive wont play cd. but when i check on the device manager it says everything is ok, and i have virtual drive/mounting tools... any advice please?