like-to-swim

DVD Player not reading CD or DVD

I have a Satellite A665-56093 laptop, and the DVD/CD player was working, and now it won't read CD's or DVD's. The model  on the drive (according to device manager) is TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633Y.

When I put a CD or DVD in you can hear the computer trying to read it, but then after a minute or so, it just ejects and asks for a valid disc. I can see that the drive exists in Windows Explorer, but can not see the contents of the disc.

It appears that a data disc (software install) is read fine.  I tried updating the drivers for the Drive, but it says that they are up to date.

Any Ideas? I am just stuck...

broke-laptop

Re: DVD Player not reading CD or DVD

Like to swim,

If you find a fix for your problem could you post it or pass it on to me, please. I have the same cd-dvd drive in my laptop. The symptoms I have are slightly different. My computer does not recognize the drive except that it is physically there (Plug n Play) but the driver does not allow it function even though I have tried to update the driver from Microsoft and Toshiba. No luck, so far.

Thanks,

broke-laptop

EpiChlo

I'm having the same problem, so if anyone finds something post it.

darcey

I am having the same problem.  CD/DVD player not working all of a sudden and drivers are up to date. 

sojourner1

Anyone find a fix to the tsstcorp TS-L633Y reading only 1 out of 3 DVD movies during the past 2 months? I've searched high and low, but can't find a fix. It spins the movie and kicks it out asking for a valid disk. I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled, and nothing. I've Googled and googled, but nothing comes up to help me sort this problem out. The Redbox DVD's work in my sister's HP laptop. It's a Samsung problem in my Toshiba notebook as it's a Samsung drive with Korean electronics not being fully perfected yet to the Japanese level of perfection in my experience. The player seems to be find and plays some DVD's and all CD's. I didn't notice the problem until I started renting Redbox back in late January. I thought for a while the DVD's were requiring validation that they were valid copies, but that's not the case. It's some kind of software problem, but the system says the device is working fine.

Eludes me????

Mominct

Im having a similar issue. Same dvd drive but mine will read all cd/dvd's fine. It will NOT burn anything!

mmatley

I am having the same issue here too with my L755-S5311.  Have uninstalled, reinstalled the driver and it still won't work.  The computer doesn't even recognize the drive at all.  When I put a disk in the drive, the light turns green, you can hear the drive spinning, but then nothing.  If anyone knows of a good fix for this, please pass this on.

Thanks!

ljohnson9487

I can't believe this is a known issue and Toshiba hasn't found a fix. I'm having the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a fix anywhere.

Nicoleincos

Did anyone ever find any kind of fix for this?  It's already taken me a ridiculous amount of time. Any help would be appreciated!

djgrydvl

I am also having problems with my DVD/CD player. Insert CD and it runs about 3 seconds and then nothing.  Is there a fix or do I have to replace the whole unit.  This is a L775 and have rarely used the video player.  Also, my printer drivers are also missing all of a sudden.  When trying to download off of the Toshiba site they will not allow wireless to be turned on.  It seems something is blocking that as well. I had just had my computer debugged and everything worked after that for about 2 weeks and now lots of problems.  

Alex1

Hi

having a similar problem with my Toshiba i5, just posted on the windows 8 forum apologies, I thought it was a windows 8 problem as on the website it recommends purchasing the windows media center from microsoft for the playback of blueray and dvds on windows 8, at a cost of £109. I spoke to a customer advisor yesterday and he said down load a video player from the internet, but there is a risk of down loading viruses.

ScottHodges

Let's bump this.

I have some older games Vista some XP that are on PC-DVD disc.  When I try to install the drive turns a few seconds then nothing.  If I click on the drive in file explorer and tell it to run I get the message box to insert a disc into drive E and then it ejects what was in there.

I did get one disc to install by changing the drive letter from E; to F: and actually started up the game which requires a the game disc be in the drive.  Call of Duty World at War.  But after the one time that no longer works.  Is there a codec needed or something?

Peter

Codecs wouldn't be needed for data discs. This is unrelated to needing a DVD playback application as well. You might take a look at these suggestions.

What can I do if my CD or DVD drive doesn't work properly in Windows 8?

- Peter
ScottHodges

Tried the uninstalling of the drive and that did no fix.  Purchased a Hoyle games DVD, says for Windows 8, tried to install and same thing "please insert a valid disk into drive e:".  Even tried the change the drive letter trick and it did not work.

Peter

You might want to try the other suggestions in the article as well. I don't have any other ideas.

- Peter