jlw622

Cursor or Screen Freeze - help!

My Toshiba Satellite A665-S5173 started having issues 2 weeks ago.  If I have several windows open (like 5) the cursor and/or screen freezes and the only thing I can do is hit the power button and turn off.  After several times of doing this, it wouldn't reboot.  Even removing the battery and power cord, holding down the start button for 30 seconds then rebooting did not help.  Took it in for repair and he said he reset the BIOS and it worked.  It worked for 2 days.  I was watching a youtube video and it happened again.  This time I removed the battery, etc (as stated above) and it powered on.  I don't know what to do!  It will happen again and I'd like to do whatever is necessary to keep this from happening and possibly causing damage to my computer.  This is my second Toshiba in 3 years.  I've never had a laptop last more than 18 months (bought this one in June 2011), so I'm thinking it's about time for it to meet its death.  I hope not.  Can you help me????  Please????  :smileyhappy:  Thank you in advance for your help!

jlw622

Re: Cursor or Screen Freeze - help!

[ Edited ]

As of last night my toshiba has a black screen and NOTHING works!  Here's what I've done to no avail:

Removed battery, unplugged power cord, then held power button for 30 to 60 seconds, release then plug back in  

power cord (battery still removed at this point), then power on.  This worked for a while but not now. 

Then I tried doing the above and when it re-started I held down the esc, F1, F2 keys.  Still nothing.  Just the black  

screen of death obviously.

I am at my wits end.  Are there REALLY computers out there that last longer than 18 months?  I'm about ready to trash yet ANOTHER Toshiba!  I guess I'll buy a cheap no brand pc or finally take the plunge for a Mac since they do stand up to the test of time.  This is my third laptop in 4 years.  So I could have had a really good mac for what I have spent on PC's.

Signed, a frustrated Toshiba customer

EricScheer

First of all, I want to apologize because I don't have a fix for your problem...yet.  I must say, though, that I'm currently experiencing the same exact problems with my Satellite A665 (which I have also had for about 18 months).  I had done a handful of tests with different programs so far to try to find the root of the issue:

1. One of the first tests I ran was the memory check diagnostic after F8ing on startup.  No problems found.

2. I ran Memtest for about 10 minutes, which also found no problems.  (I haven't had time to do a super thorough test yet)

3. I tried running HWmonitor to log the CPU temperatures during a torture test for about 10 minutes.  At 100% cpu usage, the temps never got above 72 degrees C.  It's pretty warm, but I don't think it's hot enough to cause issues.  I had also logged the temperatures and  used the laptop until it crashed, and the temp. was under 65 degrees at the time of crash.

4. Amidst all the crashing and rebooting, I ran scandisk a couple times to repair system files.  It only found a few orphaned files, but nothing serious.

5.  I have a hunch that the problem might be the video card.  I had the latest drivers from Intel's website installed for the card.  I tried replacing them with the latest drivers from Toshiba's site specifically for this model, but the problem still persists.  One thing I found interesting is that when I first tried uninstalling the Intel drivers so I could install the Toshiba ones, the screen went black and stayed black, and I had to do a hard reset again.

I had planned a few more, but the laptop seems to be down for the count now.

I've only done a couple things so far in terms of the hardware, like reseating the RAM and hard drive and cleaning contacts.  If I can't get the laptop to start up again soon, my next step is to start reseating and/or replacing other hardware.

Again, sorry I don't have a fix, but I thought I'd at least contribute  what hasn't worked so far :smileyfrustrated:

Ill post more if I figure out anything.

EricScheer

I plan on looking at the hardware tomorrow.    There happens to be another similar Toshiba Satellite in the household, so I figure I'll try swapping parts.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

By the way, I tried a complete system restore to factory about a week ago, which didn't seem to fix anything.