BjRanade

Cooling Warning

Evening Guys,

I've had my X505 Q860 since the end of May and it has given me no trouble what so ever, it has never shut off before after heavy working or gaming or even at all. I can play starcraft and Black Ops before anyone asks about the cooling.. I manage to have a case for this large laptop, its well padded and all, a back breaker for me..

WHile messing with the strap, i dropped it  maybe 1 -2 feet, 2 feet max  onto the floor (while encased) It was on hibernate mode at that time.

I turned on my laptop and it was fine.. a few minutes later this message occurs:

Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immdiately, and return it for service.

Ive checked the health monitor and the temps are great, fan and temp speed at 50 for both, give or take 5 each.
Ive checked the temps as well on that other program ive seen suggested in forums and they are about the same.

I havent tried gaming since this message has popped up, but i really can't afford sending the laptop to be repaired and such as i live in the caribbean and its hard and annoying to send things back and forth, just to receive it back again with the same error potentially recoccuring.

Its there a way to get rid of this message or resolve the unknown problem?

bdog54

Re: Cooling Warning

I have a satellite A660D which a purchased on Oct. 25th 2010. After two weeks I begat getting a pop up that said "System warning:"

Warning: a problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service, then I got the blue screen of death. They sent me a return box on 11/1/2010 and I just got the computer back on 11/29/2010. The invoice said they replaced the hard drive because it had bad sectors. Today the cooling warning message popped up again. The health monitor says my CPU is at 35 degrees and everything is OK as well. I noticed that I did not start receiving this message until I let Microcrap install its updates. Hmmm, I wonder. I have been repairing computers for some time and I don't think I have ever had two bad hard drives in a row. I have a sneaking suspicion this is a bogus warning caused by Microsoft updates.

jaums

bdog54,

Any update on your situation?

I too had harddrive problems with my A655D I got the end of October, sent it to the Toshiba Repair Depot for a HD replacement.  All was fine for a couple of weeks, then started getting the same warning notice you got I had never seen before.  Watching the Toshiba Health Monitor, apparently the fan waits too long to start running, so the warning pops up.  Or, the warning is popping up too soon.  I have never seen the CPU over 50%.  When I first turn it on it's 20 to 26%, so that's room temperature.  50% doesn't seem that much  higher to be dangerous.  Toshiba repair tech says he has to be returned again for repair--that it's a hardware problem.  He checked and says there is no way to adjust the controller that tells the fan to start or to adjust the fan speed other than returning it to fix the hardware problem.  He says the fan should ALWAYS be running with the speed automatically changing as the CPU temperature changes.  Far as I know, the fan has always run just occasionally, at varying speeds, like my other laptops--not running ALL THE TIME.  I hate to have to send it in and be without for another 3 weeks.  Has the issue been resolved with your A655D?

Thanks!

durden7

This is sounding like a design flaw.

I just bought a Satellite A665- Tuesday the 11th it was delivered, and the first time I booted I received this error. I rebooted and was okay, then the error just displayed again. I have had this laptop for a total of 3 days and this error has displayed on two of them. 

I am going to have to try and return it. This is disappointing.

jaums

I sent mine to the Repair Depot and got it back a few days ago.  The notice that came with it says they replaced the cpu/vga cooling fan, applied new thermal grease to the cpu, confirmed DMI and updated the BIOS.

So far, no overheating pop-ups.  I notice from the Health Monitor that the fan comes on sooner--when the cpu reaches about 39%--before the repair it didn't come on until around 49%.

Fingers crossed that now the machine will be stable for the rest of it's life because I really like it:  they back-lit keyboard has a nice feel,I  like that the keys don't have to move far, good for fast typing; great sound.  Too bad I had to send it in for repair twice.

Shrimkins

Hey guys,

I have had this same problem with my A665 since about a month after I bought it in August.  I have already sent it in for repairs once and they just wiped my hard drive and told me there wasnt anything wrong with it.

What I have noticed is that the fan shuts off after the processor is down to a certain temp and doesnt come back on until a few degrees AFTER the point where the warning message comes up. 

Does anyone know how to turn these warning messages off?  I am sick of the pop ups

bdog54

After I got it back the second time, the multimedia buttons didn't work, so back it went. It appears that they failed to reconnect the buttons. So lets see. By the time I had this for a month, it had been in the shop 3 times, had a new hard drive, new fan which took 2 trips back to repair facility to fix although I sent a note explaining the problem the first time, had to send it back again because they failed to reconnect the media bar. Well I guess that's all. All that trouble and they didn't even offer me a cordless mouse or anything. I knew I should have stayed with HP. Now it locks up after it goes to sleep for a while and I have to do a hard reboot. Oh well it's only money. :-/

mikeswan

Oh my goodness!  I too have bought a Toshiba satellite A660 and sure enough, the ‘Turn me off I am too hot’ message pops up every now and again. I have found if I plug in the mains the message goes away and the computer does not melt. I would hate to be without it and having read the other posts I am very reluctant to let ‘engineers’ anywhere near it. Do Toshiba not read these posts? Is there not a whole sales and marketing department trying to get the issue solved and recompense the poor customers who have suffered.

I have a shop and I go to the end of the world for my customers and I make sure my manufacturer’s go with me if need be.

Come on Toshiba, please step up to the mark and find a solution and let us know what it is, please because customers vote with their feet. At least we have all told you we have an issue. Over to you…

bzme

My Satellite L675D started with this warning after I had it only two months.  Called tech support, who was no help because it wasn't happening while I spoke to him or every time I booted.  I decided not to send it in after reading some of the other comments.  Here is what I have discovered - hope it is correct and helps some of you:  I have found that if I wait after booting the computer until it seems to have loaded everything, the fan works fine.  Then I start using programs.  I believe it is probably a software problem, since the fan is quiet and works most of the time.  There must be something that interrupts the order of commands that tells the fan to kick on, and once the first command is missed, it never recovers.  Try turning off the computer, re-boot, wait til the CPU light stops showing so much activity, then go about your business.  Tell me if this worked for you!

SatelliteA665Us

I am sorry to say I had pretty much the same problem as everyone else in this thread.  I purchased a Satellite A665-S5199X on Saturday (8/6/11) and began receiving the ominous "Cooling system failure" messages within a few hours.

What is up with the A660 line?  Hardware defects?  Possible.  Sloppy software?  Also a credible (if no more desirable) explanation. 

As some of you observed, the fan was turning on and off a lot.  Frequently, it would kick in just after the warning dialog popped up.  To me that says "poorly-written BIOS" or other software.

Even if there's a way to suppress the false warnings, that isn't a real solution.  I would not want to suppress the messages, then have no warning in the event of a real hardware problem.

In the end, I returned my Satellite for a refund.  I was very disappointed, because it was just about the only laptop at my desired price point (US $700) with a USB 3.0 port.  My new machine (rhymes with "Bamdung") has no cooling issues, but does lack USB 3.0.  It has a gigabit Ethernet port, which will suffice for copying large files (the reason I was interested in USB 3.0).

Ohgun

Hello there, I'm have the same warning pop-up on me too, but I have a mini NB305-442BL. I think that my interior fans have stopped working and my heat sink is clogged. I don't know what I need to do about it, I'm scared of giving a way my notebook for even a single week since I am a student at the University of Memphis and I usually save all of my assignments on it.

amt_015

Hello everyone,

I have a Qosmio X505 Q870. I had a problem with my cooling system: a fan broke (I don't know how that happened, but one day I could hear loose pieces inside my laptop, it heated so much it shut down for protection).

I took it for repair to an authorized service center, replaced the fan and apparently everything was cool (figurative and literally speaking). However, when my laptop was doing some heavy processing (not even graphic stuff, just heavy mathematical simulations in MATLAB) the famous pop up warning came again.

I took it again to the service center and they solved the issue in less than one day (without charging again, since it was a guarantee of the first service). The problem, they told me, was that they connected wrong a cable of the new fan. 

This solved the problem and the warning has not popped again. Hope this helps everyone.

studio500

I'm having the exact same problem with my Satellite C660.

My pc has been continually shutting down whilst using Photoshop. I  spoke to Toshiba service center who stated the Photoshop was a processor hungry program and it may be too much for the processor. I pointed out I also use Photoshop on a 8 yr old single core AMD machine with no problems at all and this should be a far better i3 core system.

They said they thought it would be a software problem however today I got the dreaded warning message saying that a cooling system problem had been detected, shut down and return for repair.

I have heard similar problems with Toshiba laptops on the net and even on the Watchdog TV program. I asked Toshiba support if this was a common issue and the reply was we don't see this problem very often.

According to this forum it seems that someone is telling porkies!

Toshiba we DO have a problem but what are you doing to resolve it?

Pichulin

I have the same modell and the same warning "A problem with the cooling system has been detected. Please turn off the computer immdiately, and return it for service"

How did you solve your problem?

ssss5555

I do have exactly the same problem. When I start Toshiba Board, ventilation starts - ALWAYS, and problem disappear for a few secods, sometimes minutes... I must start this program each time I receive the message... The first pop-up started in march 2011 with a computer bought in december 2010... A great pleasure...

heatherkt

I'm having the same issue.  Sent it in to tech support and they 'fixed' it in May 2011.  The two weeks ago it started overheating and shutting down again.  Now it's out of warranty because I bought it in November 2010, even though it's the same issue they won't fix it.  I'm going to try what you suggest and hope it works.  Thanks!

paulp

I have a Satellite L670, and just last night received a message that the cooling system is not working properly, to shut it down, and contact service.  Service told me the computer is in warranty, and they set me up for shipping the computer.  I will have to buy something to copy all my files to.  I only rarely use the computer, and it always sits on a desk, so this is surprising, especially since my 8 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop has never had an issue.  When I log into the service email they sent me, they highly recommend I pay $25 to get the shipping box, which I agreed to. It will be sent to me.  Anyone else have this experience?  The rep said there was no report of cooling issues with the L670.

luke41

hello guys,

i got the same problem as all of you AND! i solved it! yes it sounds greedy but i also sent my L670 sattelite pro for repair and nothing has changed. it is a software glitch produced from TOSHIBA software which is installed i think.

Just try it and reply if it works

-> DEINSTALL VALUE ADDED PACKAGE

-> RESTART PC

-> NO "A PROBLEM WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM" - MESSAGE ANYMORE

:smileywink: GOOD LUCK

pascalhend

To luke41 : encountered the same pbm on a brand new L670 -> uninstalled 'VALUE ADDED PACKAGE' + restart -> OK, no more 'cooling pbm' messages :smileytongue:.  Many thanks !

sriram2012

hello

i was getting the same cooling system warning on a Toshiba Portege R835-P50X  thats about 10 months old. Before giving it for service I decided to backup the hard disk. Juts as I started the backup I got this message. But during the backup and subsequently the message went away and had not yet returned.

This is really strange. any ideas anyone?

thanks

ram